AR15 lower assembly instructions

Discussion in 'Weapons / Marksmanship' started by 8'Duece, Apr 10, 2009.

1. 8'Duece

8'Duece Guest

2. doorkicker

doorkicker Profiteer Verified SOF

3. 8'Duece

8'Duece Guest

• Like Like x 2
  4. doorkicker

doorkicker Profiteer Verified SOF

DIY (Do It Yourself) trigger adjustment for the AR15

Having shot PR (Precision Rifles) for a while, I have come to dread the stock triggers on AR15s for precision shots at fair distances. With that being said, someone turned me on to an easy mod a couple years ago that any 2nd grade skill level individual can perform to lighten their trigger.
    ***This isn't going to drop your battle rifle to a 2lb/- trigger so relax***

Figure 1
    Standard SA (Semi-Auto) AR15 trigger shown with extra hammr spring

[​IMG]

Figure 2
    Hammer spring removed from hammer and my "pointer" displaying where we do some snipping

[​IMG]

Figure 3
    Take your favorite pair of pliers and cut the hammer sping where pointed out in Figure 2

[​IMG]

Figure 4
    Reinstall shortened hammer spring on hammer and re-assemble trigger. ONLY CUT ONE LEG OF THE HAMMER SPRING

[​IMG]

You can also polish up the trigger for better results. This lightens up your trigger considerably but not scarily :eek:

***This is a take it or leave it option that has worked well for me on seveal ARs that I didn't feel like dropping in $200+ triggers***
    • Like Like x 2
  5. HeloMedic1171

HeloMedic1171 Witch Doctor Verified Military

why do you cut the hammer spring in that location?
  6. HeloMedic1171

HeloMedic1171 Witch Doctor Verified Military

also, how would this work on a burst trigger assembly?
  7. JAB

JAB Infantry Verified Military

SSMP:
    Military Mentor
    It’s not authorized on a US military weapon… nuff said! ;)
  8. txpj007

txpj007 Pararescue Verified SOF

another good reference is constant beer drinking with your combat arms buddy! }:-)
  9. JustAnotherJ

JustAnotherJ Pararescue Verified SOF

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    Thanks for the references...I knocked out my first lower 30 minutes before a S/L jump.
  10. HOLLiS

HOLLiS Verified Military

Interesting trick thanks. Also one can buy lighten springs too. If you have a light spring to begin with, what can happens is that on some primers the strike may not be hard enough to ignite the primer. On one firearm that I have, I actually had to go to a heavy spring to get 100% ignition. Spring kits are pretty cheap.

Understanding how this works, take a exposed hammer empty hand gun, cock it. Try the trigger. Now cock it again and press on the hammer in the the direction that it will fall. The harder you press the greater the trigger pull will be. The heavier the hammer spring will mean a greater trigger pull. As I mentioned the down side, not all primers are the same on what it takes to ignite them. Factory guns tend to come with heavier springs to insure 100% ignition on all commercial ammo. Competition guns/race guns with supper light triggers will have ammo specifically made for that firearm. Like race cars, they don't run on gas you buy at the pumps.

Other aspect of lighting a trigger pull, is alignment. Everything is aligned and surfaces are smooth. On smoothing surfaces, taking off less material is better. Many parts are cased harden. If you take off too much material, you can remove the harden surface, thus causing premature wear.

My Bias! I like a 3.5 pound trigger with a crisp let off. I tend to snap shoot (everything but bench on a static target) and timing a shot is important. Too light of a trigger, IMHO or BIAS, makes timing a shot difficult.
  11. 8'Duece

8'Duece Guest

Glad to see guy's are getting some useful info from the thread.

Good stuff, keep it coming when you have experiences with building AR's.
  12. Freefalling

Freefalling Signal Administrator

Next summer I'll build my third in less than a year. A simple "This would be cool to learn" has turned into "Sure, I'll build one for you and your grandfather" along with this tool, that gadget, this doo-dad....

Stop at one guys, just stop at one. :D
  13. HOLLiS

HOLLiS Verified Military

Can you stop at just one? I have not been able too. Maybe there is a group I can join to help break me of the habit.

Also Brownells is a great site for information and tools.