Good Language to Learn?

Discussion in 'Special Operations Selection Preparation' started by Rman, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Rman

Rman Verified Military

I'm about to start my second year at school. I'm majoring in International Business which requires you to take a foreign language. What are some good languages to peruse for the best possibility of getting sent to 10th group (should i get selected and complete the training). I know all too well that the Army will do with me as they please, however, if I had the choice to control my own destiny I would like to end up in 10th Group (again, assuming I am selected and make it through training). With that in mind, if any one could please point me in a decent direction, i'd appreciate it.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Rman

Rman Verified Military

P.s. My apologies, I used the search to look to see if a thread had been posted and did not come up with anything, lo and behold immediately after posting this i scroll down to see that a simular topic had all ready been posted.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Chopstick

Chopstick Verified Estrogen Brigade Member

You're the new guy right? No worries..it happens.;)
    But to answer your question may I suggest:

JIVE!:D
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Rman

Rman Verified Military

I wonder if they teach that at the DLI?
  5. Chopstick

Chopstick Verified Estrogen Brigade Member

LOL..if they told me they would probably have to kill me. :(
  6. Rman

Rman Verified Military

Well I guess i'll just have to wonder into scheduling and ask if Jive is now a college course.
  7. TLDR20

TLDR20 Special Forces Moderating Staff

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    You could learn Shyriiwook. That would give you a good chance of going to whatever group you want. Once you can speak that your true Jedi ninja powers can be unleashed on the world.

Or you could learn Russian.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Rman

Rman Verified Military

Thank you cback. Using the force has been really touch and go for me so Russian may a be better option...But i've got another 3 years to work on the Jedi Skills!
  9. Viper1

Viper1 Special Forces Verified SOF

Rman...French is my recommendation. On any continent, someone will speak it. 10th group is covering down on Africa so it makes sense.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Florida173

Florida173 Verified SOF Support

I'd say learn Chinese if you are going International Business... They're going to own everything soon enough anyway.
  11. SpitfireV

SpitfireV Strike first, strike hard, no mercy! Member

Hindi or Russian. Governments have lots of CN speakers right now but those two seem to have dwindling numbers.
  12. HhAnderson1324

HhAnderson1324 Unverified

Have you tried googling the group AO's and languages? But as a heads up a lot of my buddies are learning Russian for 10th SFG but French and Arabic are also in there as far as I know. As for hindi, that isn't taught here at SWC but if you just stick with the business degree it will be a huge plus.
  13. TLDR20

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    That's a good way to end up at first not tenth group
  14. Florida173

True...

French would pretty much guarantee working in EUCOM/AFRICOM areas with 10th grp.
  15. travman

travman Unverified

Would German be another good language to learn if one wanted to be in 10th group?
  16. TLDR20

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    It would if you can speak it well enough to pass the DLPT 5 in that language. But the schoolhouse no longer teaches German, so you would be on your own to learn it.
  17. travman

travman Unverified

Oh okay, thanks for the new information cback.
  18. Florida173

DLI still does. Which schoolhouse are you talking about?
  19. TLDR20

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    JFKSWCS, he wants to be SF not a linguist.
  20. Florida173

Maybe he wants to be a cunning linguist... anyway.. last time I checked there were plenty of guys with long tabs and green berets at DLI...
    • Like Like x 2