USASED and SF

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Support Operations' started by Echo, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echo

Echo "Be wise as serpents but innocent as doves" Verified Military

I have been training for SFAS the past few months and reading/participating in forums to gather as much information as possible. I have also been talking to recruiters for SF as well as looking into intel programs such as GSP and USASED. The ultimate end goal (300m target) for my career would be as an intel/operator in some TF such as Orange or other unit where I could utilize my intel skill set (HUMINT) and also be a "shooter".

That being said my 25m target is training for SF as stated above. After talking to some Great Skillers, I am seriously rethinking the SF route. Mainly because they made it seem that it's nearly impossible to be released from Group to attempt a position in one of those Tier One units. Am I mistaken that those units recruit from SF?

The conversation left me lost somewhere in my 100m - 200m targets. Specifically whether I should respond to the SFOD-D and USASED emails or go the SF route. I do not think I have enough time in service (5 yrs active), experience (1 deployment to Afg), or schools (no badges) to be considered competitive for that type of selection. But I don't want to be "stuck" in case I am able to eventually volunteer for those "Orange" type units.

Basically I'm just looking for any opinions or guidance from people familiar with these programs and could answer which would be the best route to make me successful and competitive to join a unit that I'm interested in. Thanks in advance.
  2. TLDR20

TLDR20 Special Forces Moderating Staff

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    You really oew group at least two years of team time minimum. But really more than that. If you make it to SF, and that is still a big if, and if you stayed on a team long enough you might realize that there are schools in group that make you want to stay here. We do do alot of our own intel stuff. But if you want to go ahead and try for those other units, you will be allowed to go, but you will be removed from your team, and will go to the B team.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Marauder06

Marauder06 Intel Enabler Administrator

SSMP:
    Support Mentor
    What rank are you? Most of the organizations you're talking about won't take anyone under E6, and even those slots are limited. What are you bringing to the table? Do you have any training, experience, or abilities that would make you a more attractive candidate? Speak a language? Undergone any intel training whatsoever? Based on what you posted above, I think I'd have to give your packet a pass.

If you ever want to go SF, you should go now when you're (presumably) young enough, fit enough, and motivated enough to successfully complete the pipeline. Those "other units" will still be there- and will still take you- after you've spent some time in SF. And, after being SF for a while and being able to make a more informed decision, you may decide that the grass really isn't greener on the other side of the SOF fence.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. surgicalcric

surgicalcric Special Forces Verified SOF

Echo, you obviously have Orange mixed up with someone else if you believe you are going to be making use of both the skill sets you allude to in your initial post.

If you decide to go SF do it because you want to be in Special Forces, not because its a mere springboard to the next "cool" thing you want to do. Your first Team SGT and senior will see right through you and you will end up somewhere in Group you feel is beneath you.

Make up your mind what you want to do and move towards it, be that doing HUMINT for someone more "special," being a "shooter/operator," or as a Special Forces soldier...

Well said Sir.

The grass isnt greener, the sun just shines on it differently from time to time.

YMMV,

Crip
  5. Echo

Marauder, I'm currently a SPC(P) and I am aware that most slots are for more "senior" NCOs and Warrants. My TAREX friend said he got picked up at 5 so it's not out of the question. As mentioned earlier I do not have much training or experience. What I do have besides 10 level HUMINT is a lot of random intel courses that I have never really utilized outside of an MFT (MTT Strat-D, Computer Forensics, TSE, and STG). Learning Spanish currently through Rosetta Stone but being that I spoke it as a child, I don't think it'll take too long to grasp it again.

I basically just want to serve in a better capacity than what I am currently. I have been in this analyst position for 3 years and on orders to another INSCOM unit in Germany. My worst fear is being back in a similar slot in Europe as I am in the Pacific now. Honestly, Special Forces has been a goal/dream for me since I was 16. But I don't know in what sense. Before I joined the military and deployed, I thought 18F was as "special" you could get in the intel community. I now know better and it's left me in a bit of a daze.
  6. Echo

I apologize for not being specific or more accurate but Orange was the first unit that came to mind. I have a general understanding of their mission but I know that I'm looking to be an intel collector/operator if that exists. As I mentioned to Marauder, Special Forces is the first thing I learned a Soldier could apply for if he felt he had the mental and physical aptitude to perform "unconventionally".

Without getting too detailed per OPSEC, I just want to be able to do different and special intel missions and have the opportunity to attend courses such as SOC, ASOC, airborne, air assault etc. I believe HUMINT and SIGINT work well together and I think that's why my GS buddy pointed me towards USASED. But, I also want to be a special operations Soldier in some manner. I guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too.....
  7. TLDR20

TLDR20 Special Forces Moderating Staff

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    Well if you knew more about SF you would learn about things that are very similar to SOC and ASOC, without getting too much into OPSEC. I myself have been to the SF versions of those courses. Which from what I have heard are better. I will tell you straight up, go and apply for USASED, you will not be selected. There are guys with WAY more time doing the things you talk about wanting to do, who are also absolute freaks physically and probably the most morally sound guys and they didn't make it. Prove me wrong, but I would bet a months pay that you won't get it without more experience.

Do you even really know what an 18F does? He is an analyst, others on the teams gather and feed him information. He analyzes and predicts outcomes. Not a lot of high speedishness to be had there. You know who prolly gathers the most intel on a team? Don't answer but really think about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. x SF med

x SF med Special Forces Moderating Staff

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    OOO, OOO, OOO... Mistah Kott-air... I think I know.....:sneaky::-|
  9. JAB

JAB Infantry Verified Military

SSMP:
    Military Mentor
    10 level? :confused: Are you saying you are a skill level 1 (one) E4 and below with no ASI? There is no such thing as a skill level 10, 1 (one) means you are at basic skill (non-supervisor) and O (Oscar) is the letter the Army assigns when you have no other special skill identifier. An ASI is assigned to soldiers who complete special skill schools, such as P (Airborne) V (Ranger) B4 (Sniper) ect, ect. Skill level is by rank, E1-4 = level 1, E5 = level 2, E6 = level 3, E7 = level 4, ect, ect...

EXAMPLE:

35M1O = HUMINT basic E4 and below & no special skills
    35M1P = HUMINT Basic E4 and below & Basic Airborne qualified
    35M2P = HUMINT Supervisor E5 & Basic Airborne qualified

• Like Like x 2
  10. shortbrownguy

shortbrownguy Special Forces Verified SOF

If oy
    If you had half a clue about what an experienced 18F is capable of, you'd eat that last statement....
    An 18F is not just the analyst on the team, But an active shooter when the time comes.
    The mission of Special Forces extends deeper than what you see or may have read about. We take that whole "Quiet Professional" motto very serious.
    Before you dig yourself any deeper, I would suggest that you read more, use the search function, and post less.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Echo

Exactly why I joined this board. I don't know squat and there's no SF near me. Well SOCPAC but I don't want to waste their time.
    Thanks for that bit of info. Seems like the stuff I do now. Definitely don't want that.
  12. Echo

So it's finally explained to me after all these years. I wonder why our instructors and course cadre kept referring to AIT as a 10 level course?
  13. surgicalcric

surgicalcric Special Forces Verified SOF

Given the recent revelation it appears you need to concern yourself with learning how to be a better soldier before you worry about being anything else.
    • Like Like x 4
  14. shortbrownguy

shortbrownguy Special Forces Verified SOF

Funny, I have a feeling he didn't like my post;)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Freefalling

Freefalling Signal Administrator

I've watched this thread for a bit and I think it is time to shut it down. The topics here are kind of like a tie-dye shirt where a lot of elements are swirling together in semi-random patterns.

Echo, you've been bukkaked with information. Personally, I think you should swish it around a little and figure out where to go from here. To be honest, I think you're trying to do too much with a career plan when you haven't really started on your career. Dude, you just soloed in a Piper Cub and now you're planning to fly the X-15? Work up to a T-34 Mentor first.

Good luck.
    • Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.