Advantage to Changing DNS?

Brill

SOF Support
@AWP and @compforce (and others) I'm curious to hear your thoughts on using 1.1.1.1 as DNS vice Google's 8s.

1.1.1.1 — the Internet’s Fastest, Privacy-First DNS Resolver

1.1.1.1 docs

Application Privacy Policy | Cloudflare

We do not collect your name, phone number, or credit card information (or records of any payments collected by the applicable App Store). The only information we receive from the applicable App Store is a limited amount of information that we need to confirm your subscription for a Service. We do not receive from the App Store any of your personal data or other information about your App Store account. We only receive your email address if you have decided to give us feedback and/or report bugs.

We promise to keep your personal information personal and private. We will not sell or rent your personal information to anyone. We will not share or otherwise disclose your personal information except as necessary to provide our services or as otherwise described in this Application Privacy Policy without first providing you with notice and the opportunity to consent.

@AWP and @compforce (and others) I'm curious to hear your thoughts on using 1.1.1.1 as DNS vice Google's 8s.

1.1.1.1 — the Internet’s Fastest, Privacy-First DNS Resolver

1.1.1.1 docs

Application Privacy Policy | Cloudflare
Marketing gimmick.

It will actually make it slower to resolve vs using your own provider. You shouldn't be using 8.8.8.8 except for a last resort address anyhow. DNS gets cached by the servers. The first request to an address could potentially get all the way to the either the 1.1.1.1 address or 8.8.8.8 after the first time there, the closest DNS resolver, usually your home router or your cable modem, to the device caches it for future requests. In order to EVER go back to the root server the address would have to be unused for whatever the Time To Live (TTL) across every route in your path. Using 8.8.8.8 as your dns is horrible vs using the closest hop, i.e. your internet provider.

BTW, privacy is dead. Even if THEY don't store or release DNS information, I guarantee someone will catalog it for lookup.

ETA DNS requests and responses are incredibly small, The text I've written as a response to this post is longer than the entire transaction. If you didn't see any hesitation in loading this page, there is almost 0 delay in your DNS requests.

Last edited:
BTW, privacy is dead. Even if THEY don't store or release DNS information, I guarantee someone will catalog it for lookup.

Preach.

For the masses, if you made it this far, cybersecurity has boiled down to the old joke about you and a friend run into a bear in the woods. The question is how fast do you have to run to get away from the bear?

You have to outrun your friend, not the bear. Patching, VPN's, etc. make you harder target, you aren't bulletproof.

Excellent! I really do appreciate the answer!!!

Confirms that if something is free, YOU are the commodity being sold!

Welcome to why I'm annoyed I decided to bridge to 365 just before Pi4's went on sale, and deciding I want to self host. :rolleyes:

Back