Advice on PT Improvement/Progress

JasperBigRed

Unverified
I went with my recruiter and did the Army PFT consisting of 2 minutes of push-ups, 2 minutes of sit-ups, and a 2-mile run. I was pretty disappointed with my overall score of 233/300 as going into it I considered myself to be in very good shape and expected better. What really got me was doing all 3 events back-to-back. I did 80 push-ups, which I think is a decent mark for now, then moved right on to sit-ups a few minutes after. I only got 55 which is less than what I usually do. Then 7 minutes later I started my 2-mile run. It wasn't a regulation track so we did a rough equivalent of what would be 2 miles. Anyways, I got 16:02 on the run, which is way sub-par from what I thought I could do based on treadmill runs. Granted, I did do a thorough HIIT cardio run workout the day before and then ate like garbage at night so that may have factored.

With that, I'm looking for ways to improve my overall score. I'd love to hear some first-hand accounts of anyone's early PT scores and eventual progress and improvement. Is the best way to improve your overall PFT score just doing those 3 exercises in fast succession on a consistent basis? And what are the best ways to train for the 2-mile run and find your optimal pace on the track? I don't really have many good chances to get out and run on a track since it's cold and snowy where I live, so I do HIIT sprint runs on a treadmill. I leave for basic in a month and want to have as high of a score as possible when I arrive so I can have a good foundation to build from and improve upon throughout my OSUT before I head to SFAS.

Any input would be appreciated!

Intro posted, thread unlocked. Also, I must point out that @JasperBigRed followed simple instructions by making post #2 an Intro and not a series of "my bad" posts before making his Intro post 293 or whatever other members did in the past. Good job, you've broken the internet, and now we the staff don't know how to act.

Welcome aboard!

...Anyways, I got 16:02 on the run, which is way sub-par from what I thought I could do based on treadmill runs. ...I don't really have many good chances to get out and run on a track since it's cold and snowy where I live, so I do HIIT sprint runs on a treadmill.

Get off the treadmill. The road does not move under your feet, so stop training as if it does. Get outside and run. I live in Colorado; it was 14 degrees with snow on the ground this morning, but I still went outside and ran.
You want to be SF, you're gonna to deal with the cold and snowy.

Other than that, the best way to prep for the APFT is to continue to work on overall fitness. I've never known someone who would max the APFT by only working out those events; they work our everything.

Your scores aren't that bad for someone just coming in; you have to remember that basic/OSUT is going to whip you more in shape as well.

The treadmill can be your best friend and your worst enemy; it all depends on how you use it. You have to mix treadmill runs with outdoor runs. Treadmill runs can help you learn to maintain a pace, but they don't give you the same resistance as running outside.

Practice running the fitness test as a whole, not as individual parts. You'll improve.

I can't remember an APFT where the weather was optimal. I've ran on ice. I've done push ups and sit ups in snow. "The weather is bad." is an excuse you won't have later on. In my experience my the APFT that I took at the recruiter was graded way easier than at OSUT. I scored around a 270 with a recruiter grading. My first OSUT APFT was a 218.

The 2 mile run is all in your head. A strong VO2 Max helps. What we can do here is help increase it. The best way in 1 month is to find a track and do one work to 1 rest cycle with everything adding up to 2 miles [3200m] , example below:
Monday - 2 × 1 mile run [1 mile walk/jog in betwen]
Tuesday - 4 x 800 m run [800 m walk/jog in between]
Wednesday - 1 × 2 mile run slow easy reset day
Thursday - 8 x 400 m run [400m walk/jog in between]
Friday - 1 x 2 mile run fast
Saturday/Sunday - Fun run, jog, hike, ruck, something to keep things fun and loosen up from the intense beat down of Monday/Tuesday Thursday/Friday which is 100% effort.

Good luck!!!!

Last edited:
If you are relegated to treadmill runs increase the incline to 1. This will simulate road feel better than it being at 0. Make sure to get one run a week that is a long run. Greater than 6 miles but at a pace you can hold a conversation at. My fastest run times come from when I run more than 15 miles a week.

I went with my recruiter and did the Army PFT consisting of 2 minutes of push-ups, 2 minutes of sit-ups, and a 2-mile run. I was pretty disappointed with my overall score of 233/300 as going into it I considered myself to be in very good shape and expected better. What really got me was doing all 3 events back-to-back. I did 80 push-ups, which I think is a decent mark for now, then moved right on to sit-ups a few minutes after. I only got 55 which is less than what I usually do. Then 7 minutes later I started my 2-mile run. It wasn't a regulation track so we did a rough equivalent of what would be 2 miles. Anyways, I got 16:02 on the run, which is way sub-par from what I thought I could do based on treadmill runs. Granted, I did do a thorough HIIT cardio run workout the day before and then ate like garbage at night so that may have factored.

With that, I'm looking for ways to improve my overall score. I'd love to hear some first-hand accounts of anyone's early PT scores and eventual progress and improvement. Is the best way to improve your overall PFT score just doing those 3 exercises in fast succession on a consistent basis? And what are the best ways to train for the 2-mile run and find your optimal pace on the track? I don't really have many good chances to get out and run on a track since it's cold and snowy where I live, so I do HIIT sprint runs on a treadmill. I leave for basic in a month and want to have as high of a score as possible when I arrive so I can have a good foundation to build from and improve upon throughout my OSUT before I head to SFAS.

The run was probably a mental thing. If it's not a regulated track then it's easy to want to slow your pace not to burn out too early. Get used to running on and off a track for miles. The treadmill will help your cardio and I know plenty of people who run marathons who train mostly on a treadmill. When I got to boot camp the SEAL graders were much more harsh. I easily did 100 push ups and they only counted 75. I easily did 95 sit ups and they counted 80. I did 21 pull ups and they only counted 15. Usually we got 10 minutes rest before the run, but no we sprinted to the track to begin the run. There was barely any rest. We had a lot of guys fail their first PST because they mentally had a hard time adjusting from their usual PST. Prepare for the worst conditions. PFT yourself. Take 20 push ups and sit ups off , and add 30 seconds to your run. If you still crush the PFT then you'll be for sure safe.

There was a lady who won a medal in the marathon a few Olympics ago, did ALL of her training on the treadmill. I have nothing to add to the others; all solid advice. Treadmill can work if you work it right. Outside, distance runs and fartleks mixed in with speed work.

Check out Stew Smith's workout stuff. Former SEAL, I don't hold that against him because he knows his shit with workouts and preps.

Also, don't do the exercises in the same format: one day run first; the next, sit-ups first, etc.

The 2 mile run is all in your head. A strong VO2 Max helps. What we can do here is help increase it. The best way in 1 month is to find a track and do one work to 1 rest cycle with everything adding up to 2 miles [3200m] , example below:
Monday - 2 × 1 mile run [1 mile walk/jog in betwen]
Tuesday - 4 x 800 m run [800 m walk/jog in between]
Wednesday - 1 × 2 mile run slow easy reset day
Thursday - 8 x 400 m run [400m walk/jog in between]
Friday - 1 x 2 mile run fast
Saturday/Sunday - Fun run, jog, hike, ruck, something to keep things fun and loosen up from the intense beat down of Monday/Tuesday Thursday/Friday which is 100% effort.

One modification I'd make to this...instead of equal distance, do equal time. 5min all out, 5min walk/jog back to the start. Works best on roads/trails (paved or not). Everytime, try to beat your last mark. This is what we did when I was at the OTC (Olympic Training Center) in Colorado Springs to help increase VO2Max. We would then lower the rest time while maintaining the full effort time. I was there as an Olympic prospect.

Your runs for the APFT will seldom be on tracks, so focus on pavement and trails. Also, it's a lot less brutal on your bones than a treadmill.

One modification I'd make to this...instead of equal distance, do equal time. 5min all out, 5min walk/jog back to the start. Works best on roads/trails (paved or not). Everytime, try to beat your last mark. This is what we did when I was at the OTC (Olympic Training Center) in Colorado Springs to help increase VO2Max. We would then lower the rest time while maintaining the full effort time. I was there as an Olympic prospect.

100% agree....distance can be exchanged by time and work to rest shortened as you get closer to game day.

One other thing we use to do to increase stress on lungs and shock body was talk, once u could, during the lite jog as everyone got back together before sprinting again on the next work cycle. I picked that up from an old coach who supposedly taught Putin how to wrestle Bears.

@Kaldak Did you find this to be a common practice or were our tactics more Russian then the kettlebell...?

:ROFLMAO:O_o:D8-)

Lol, that was standard with us as well. Usually we bitched about the workout, or harrassed each other over who made it further. But, yes, we were told to converse with each other on the return jog.

All the coaches out there were sadistic, as in on loan from hell.

Sooooo....this may be an unpopular opinion but....the treadmill...not as bad as some make it seem. (To me at least)

BUT BUT BUT...don’t simply rely on it. For example, I was deployed to Iraq and was hell bent on being a better runner and just being stronger overall. Being on night shift (and the base I was on being a “black out FOB”, I was definitely not about to run around slamming into concrete barriers so I decided to hammer cardio for a MAX of ten minutes. What I came up with was cycling machines so Monday was treadmill, Tuesday was stationary bike, Wednesday was Stair Stepper and I just kept up with that. By the end of deployment, running felt effortless...like I was born to do it.

I also put a HUGE emphasis on getting my legs and core as strong as possible which also helped immensely!

Hopefully this helps. Best of luck! You want something bad enough go out and fight for it!

I like running on a treadmill so that I can set a goal pace and stick to it. Also I can gradually increase speed and distance exactly how I want it.

You DEFINITELY need to set the incline to at least 1.0. In fact, I would set it at 2.0 so that it puts you at an advantage.

I'm doing the THOR3 SFAS prep workout, and I went from a 246 to 283 in one month. May not work for everyone, but it is for me.

Back