AF releases candidate bases for Battlefield Airman training

Status
Not open for further replies.

DA SWO

SOWT
Verified SOF
Some of these makes sense and some of these are butt-stupid (thank goodness VT was ruled out).

AF releases candidate bases for Battlefield Airman training > U.S. Air Force > Article Display

WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- Today the Air Force announced eight installations as candidate locations where it will potentially consolidate its Battlefield Airman training.

The installations include: Eglin Air Force Base, Florida; Hurlburt Field, Florida; Joint Base San Antonio, Texas; Keesler AFB, Mississippi; Little Rock AFB, Arkansas; Patrick AFB, Florida; Shaw AFB, South Carolina; and Vandenberg AFB, California.

“The Air Force is committed to a deliberate and open process to address Battlefield Airman basing,” said Jennifer A. Miller, the deputy assistant secretary of the Air Force for installations. “As we progress through the basing process, we will share information so interested communities are aware of what to expect.”

Last year, the Air Force reviewed its Battlefield Airman training. The review determined grouping training at consolidated locations may lead to improvements and synergies in the current training processes. As a result, the Air Force is investigating potential locations to consolidate training.

Over the last several months, the Air Force gathered information from all Air Force installations in the continental United States and assessed it against mission requirements, capacity, environmental considerations, and cost to determine options for consolidating Battlefield Airman training, if the Air Force indeed chooses to consolidate Battlefield Airman training at fewer locations.

The Air Force will now conduct detailed, on-the-ground evaluations (site surveys) of the candidate bases covering the full range of operational and infrastructure requirements. The results of the surveys will be briefed to the secretary of the Air Force and chief of staff of the Air Force, who will then select preferred and reasonable alternatives. The Air Force will analyze the potential environmental impacts at each location before a final basing decision is made.

The preferred and reasonable alternatives are expected to be selected in early 2017.

Currently, Battlefield Airman training is conducted at eight primary training locations across seven states.

If you want nice weather, head for VAFB. Fog rolls in every evening, then burns of by mid morning. The biggest Diamondback Rattlesnakes that I have ever seen were in the huge areas of scrub brush @VAFB. Two that I had taken were about 15-16' long.

If you want nice weather, head for VAFB. Fog rolls in every evening, then burns of by mid morning. The biggest Diamondback Rattlesnakes that I have ever seen were in the huge areas of scrub brush @VAFB. Two that I had taken were about 15-16' long.
CA Environmental Laws suck balls.

Eglin/Hurlburt/Little Rock/San Antonio would be my odds on favorites.

CA Environmental Laws suck balls.

Eglin/Hurlburt/Little Rock/San Antonio would be my odds on favorites.

Out of curiosity, what would The Rock bring to the table? The others already have a BA presence unless this is a land issue for consolidated buildings/ pools/ classrooms.

C-130's, DZ (etc) at Ft Chaffee.
Consolidation is one of the goals.

I thought about airlift, but obviously don't know how difficult it is for the schoolhouse to source airframes. Hurlburt would have DZ's and an FLS or two, but you also have Avon Park, Camp Blanding, and wherever SOCOM jumps. I know Blanding has an FLS and a -130 capable civilian airport next door. I believe Avon Park has an FLS, plus whatever 20th in AL and MS uses for DZ's.

If it comes down to land for new facilities, Little Rock may be a good choice. I'd imagine Eglin and Hurlburt are saturated thanks to BRAC and the 7th Group move plus base infrastructure and support to handle the staff and trainees for 4 different programs (5 if you count AFSF unless I missed one).

I thought about airlift, but obviously don't know how difficult it is for the schoolhouse to source airframes. Hurlburt would have DZ's and an FLS or two, but you also have Avon Park, Camp Blanding, and wherever SOCOM jumps. I know Blanding has an FLS and a -130 capable civilian airport next door. I believe Avon Park has an FLS, plus whatever 20th in AL and MS uses for DZ's.

If it comes down to land for new facilities, Little Rock may be a good choice. I'd imagine Eglin and Hurlburt are saturated thanks to BRAC and the 7th Group move plus base infrastructure and support to handle the staff and trainees for 4 different programs (5 if you count AFSF unless I missed one).
Little Rock is the 130 Schoolhouse with 3 Active and 1 Guard Squadron.
(Note, Pope AAF is not on the list) That's what happens when you're a dick.

I need to get caught up - haven't been paying close attention - where/how does Kirtland fit into this new mix? I know 342nd TRS was deactivated/reorg'd into a new squadron as part of the new restructuring, 351st BATS is what I believe it's now called.

Last edited:
I need to get caught up - haven't been paying close attention - where/how does Kirtland fit into this new mix? I know 342nd TRS was deactivated/reorg'd into a new squadron as part of the new restructuring, 351st BATS is what I believe it's now called.
Almost had it. We are the 351 BA TS, with a space.

I just can't see it moving. TACP just moved to JBSA, and the infrastructure is there for everything. I don't even know why Hurby is on the list. We moved because they didn't have the facilities to get enough TACP students into training each year, how are they going to manage by adding 3 more AFSCs to the mix?

I just can't see it moving. TACP just moved to JBSA, and the infrastructure is there for everything. I don't even know why Hurby is on the list. We moved because they didn't have the facilities to get enough TACP students into training each year, how are they going to manage by adding 3 more AFSCs to the mix?
I think they really mean Eglin when they added Hurby. Agree though that range space is limited.

I just hope they have some common sense and don't pick a location because it's in a nice place.

How are the ranges at Eglin? Eglin Range Control/Rules (Pre 9-1-1), were difficult as the test wing was #1 and we lost a shit load of training when the route to the range was closed for testing.

Last edited:
The PJ School was at Eglin AFB from 1964 thru to it's move to Hill AFB in 1970/71. Interesting it's under consideration to move it back there. Avon Park is close to the 1947 to 1952 PJ School house location.

How are the ranges at Eglin? Eglin Range Control/Rules (Pre 9-1-1), were difficult as the test wing was #1 and we lost a shit load of training when the route to the range was closed for testing.

I've never controlled out at Eglin. All the CAS trips I've heard of to FL were to Avon Park. Maybe the STSs do some stuff with gunships or whatever, but IDK about FW CAS.

Little Rock is the 130 Schoolhouse with 3 Active and 1 Guard Squadron.
(Note, Pope AAF is not on the list) That's what happens when you're a dick.

What was Pope's issue? Haven't heard about that. Sounds....interesting.:sneaky: lmao

Eglin Range Control/Rules (Pre 9-1-1), were difficult as the test wing was #1 and we lost a shit load of training when the route to the range was closed for testing.

Still the same shit. Even when you've done all of the required coordination and have your time/area blocked, they will boot you the fuck off the range if any kind of test gets delayed and pushed into your block. So we just go off station.

Quick question. Is it possible to choose as a MOS, or what MOS is most likely to help before that pipeline, and what is looked at for the selection process? Is there anything someone could do to beforehand in order to gain the highest chances of being selected?

Quick question. Is it possible to choose as a MOS, or what MOS is most likely to help before that pipeline, and what is looked at for the selection process? Is there anything someone could do to beforehand in order to gain the highest chances of being selected?
Google and what is a MOS in the AF???

The USAF doesn't have MOSs, we have AFSCs. There is no AFSC needed prior to assessing for a Battlefield Airman (Airperson?) AFSC. They all allow direct entry to their training pipelines. At 36, you don't have the time to put years into another AFSC anyways. In your case, referencing what you can do beforehand, I recommend not joining in the first place. We don't need you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back