Afghan prisoners freed from Bagram amid US protests

Oh yeah. Enough evidence on some of them to be tried and probably convicted in our weak-ass legal system, but here it isn't good enough and so they walk? This summer will be one to remember....

We REALLY, REALLY, need to pull his PSD and let Afghans take over.

I am 100% convinced he has signed on with either the taliban or Al-Quada

Oh yeah. Enough evidence on some of them to be tried and probably convicted in our weak-ass legal system, but here it isn't good enough and so they walk? This summer will be one to remember....

Not that I have any personal experience with this, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these guys were never tried at all...

I'm reading "The Only Thing Worth Dying For" and I got to say it's crazy to think how much Karzai has changed over 12 years. From testifying in hearings regarding the way the Taliban treated the people in A-Stan to then accusing the US of being the problem...

IMO the guy will get what is coming to him, maybe even from someone he lets out of a detention center.

I'm reading "The Only Thing Worth Dying For" and I got to say it's crazy to think how much Karzai has changed over 12 years. From testifying in hearings regarding the way the Taliban treated the people in A-Stan to then accusing the US of being the problem...

IMO the guy will get what is coming to him, maybe even from someone he lets out of a detention center.

I read that on my way over here and my first thought was, "what happened to the guy in the book?!?"

It's not good enough because they are in jail because of us. I agree, it's going to get a little sporty here...

Karzai says it is of no concern to the US? I think it is if their release puts our people at risk, which it does. I agree. Where is the Karzai from 12 years ago? I feel bad for the civilians there who don't have much choice, but I wish we could just pull our people out and leave it to him.

Not that I have any personal experience with this, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these guys were never tried at all...

There is a very high evidential bar to get over in order to get someone into Parwan. They might not have had a trial per se (this is Afghanistan, after all) but if they were in that prison, there was enough evidence against them to satisfy a system in which a majority of people brought in get released after just a couple of weeks. I'd wager a substantial amount of money that not only most if not all of them are dirty, but also most if not all of them immediately return to the fight.

There is a very high evidential bar to get over in order to get someone into Parwan. They might not have had a trial per se (this is Afghanistan, after all) but if they were in that prison, there was enough evidence against them to satisfy a system in which a majority of people brought in get released after just a couple of weeks. I'd wager a substantial amount of money that not only most if not all of them are dirty, but also most if not all of them immediately return to the fight.

The overwhelming majority of the guys we captured were repeat offenders and less than five were sent up higher.

I'm sure that's the case with the vast majority of PWs there.

I seriously doubt it's actually against Afghan "law" to kill or injure Americans or ISAF members.

Very interesting point.
I wonder what laws/authority they were arrested/detained under, and how that changed when the prison was handed over to the Afghan govt?

We REALLY, REALLY, need to pull his PSD and let Afghans take over.

I am 100% convinced he has signed on with either the taliban or Al-Quada

Of course he has! He's a Pashtun- they're not known for being loyal but for being pragmatic to the situation at the time.

Back