Application to 160th from AIT

Corestacks

Unverified
Hello Members of ShadowSpear,

I have great interest in becoming a member of the 160th SOAR as a 68W. I have contacted the SOAR number from soc.mil/USASOCHQ/recruiting but was unable to contact them, their number did not give me an option to leave a voicemail. The numbers left on goarmysof.com/locations appear to be specific towards bases so I am uncertain if I am allowed to contact them without being an enlisted member. I was hoping to have a few questions answered about acceptance into selection.

1. By contacting a retired member of the 160th SOAR Regiment, I was told that the selection for 68Ws was very competitive, usually those who had years of combat medicine or EMS experience took the slots available. If this is true, would it be recommended for me to attain an EMT-P certificate before I enlisted as a 68W?

2. Based on the limited reading I have done on acceptance into Green Platoon, I noticed a common pathway recommended was to enlist with an Opt. 40 contract as a 68W and spend the inital enlistment as a Ranger. From reading the information on the SOAR recruiting website, I am confused why it would be so difficult to be selected out of AIT, to the point that some recommend join an entirely different Special Operations Regiment.

3. The SORB website stated that the 68Ws would go through a separate application assessment by the medical team within the Regiment. I was unable to find the SOFM application that the website said 68Ws would have to fill out. Would the application have a portion that would require us to label our previous employer if we have worked as an EMT-B prior to enlistment?

Thank you for your time.

Hello Members of ShadowSpear,

I have great interest in becoming a member of the 160th SOAR as a 68W. I have contacted the SOAR number from soc.mil/USASOCHQ/recruiting but was unable to contact them, their number did not give me an option to leave a voicemail. The numbers left on goarmysof.com/locations appear to be specific towards bases so I am uncertain if I am allowed to contact them without being an enlisted member. I was hoping to have a few questions answered about acceptance into selection.

1. By contacting a retired member of the 160th SOAR Regiment, I was told that the selection for 68Ws was very competitive, usually those who had years of combat medicine or EMS experience took the slots available. If this is true, would it be recommended for me to attain an EMT-P certificate before I enlisted as a 68W?

2. Based on the limited reading I have done on acceptance into Green Platoon, I noticed a common pathway recommended was to enlist with an Opt. 40 contract as a 68W and spend the inital enlistment as a Ranger. From reading the information on the SOAR recruiting website, I am confused why it would be so difficult to be selected out of AIT, to the point that some recommend join an entirely different Special Operations Regiment.

3. The SORB website stated that the 68Ws would go through a separate application assessment by the medical team within the Regiment. I was unable to find the SOFM application that the website said 68Ws would have to fill out. Would the application have a portion that would require us to label our previous employer if we have worked as an EMT-B prior to enlistment?

Thank you for your time.
You have ZERO experience coming out of AIT, you would be competing against guys with multiple combat tours.
Go Option 40, then see which way your career goes.

Thank you for the response DA SOWT,

If I may ask, why would the Regiment accept applications from those who are still in AIT? I do not mean to challenge your advice, but I am confused why they would open the possibility for those who have not had any experience. Would the applicants from AIT primarily consist of those who are re-classing MOS's?

Thank you for your time.

I am confused why it would be so difficult to be selected out of AIT, to the point that some recommend join an entirely different Special Operations Regiment.
We won't get into the whys, for reasons you will learn later in your career. But the mission precludes 'just any joe' from joining, they want seasoned, mature, solid, proven people - prior to assessment. remember the Green Platoon is there to weed out candidates, from among the best the Army has to offer... How does an unproven newly minted anything compete against that.

I do not mean to challenge your advice, but I am confused why they would open the possibility for those who have not had any experience.
How to put this politely... they really don't... it's a paper hole to fill 'requirements' sent down from Washington.

Would the applicants from AIT primarily consist of those who are re-classing MOS's?
Yup.

Learn your trade, grow as a person, mature mentally... then take the plunge.

I'd imagine they have quick starters too. I haven't been too impressed with that program though.

Learn your trade, grow as a person, mature mentally... then take the plunge.[/QUOTE]

x SF med, I will do my best and strive to crush my 25m goals. Thank you for taking time out of your day to respond.

If I can bother you with a few questions; with combat experienced less in non-Special Operations medics today, what would be the route that you would recommend I take in order to create a strong resume? If I enlisted with an Option 4 contract, should I expect a large portion of my life as 68W to consist of working as an EMT-B in a hospital setting? If so, should I be taking time to pursue a NREMT-P ceritifcation while considering an Option 40 contract?

Thank you for your time.

x SF med, I will do my best and strive to crush my 25m goals. Thank you for taking time out of your day to respond.

If I can bother you with a few questions; with combat experienced less in non-Special Operations medics today, what would be the route that you would recommend I take in order to create a strong resume? If I enlisted with an Option 4 contract, should I expect a large portion of my life as 68W to consist of working as an EMT-B in a hospital setting? If so, should I be taking time to pursue a NREMT-P ceritifcation while considering an Option 40 contract?

Thank you for your time.

Get to the 82nd, or the 75th. Get your SOCM. Do not try to color outside the lines to make yourself 'more impressive'. Civilian creds will come to you through military programs, but the military applications of TCCC are so far astray from the civilian applications that all you could be doing is having to unlearn and relearn stuff. Learn to be a soldier, learn humility, learn to be a sponge, be flexible, quit tooting your own horn. right now, you know nothing about nothing when it comes to the military, you haven't done it yet. Kudos on having long range goals, now set your sights on a clean enlistment, Basic/AIT, BAC, and your first unit... realize the 160th is multiple iterations of life away from where you are, currently it's the windmills Quixote.

Right now your cart is in Kansas and the horse is in Florida... your goal is California... get to the cart, fill it and then head for your goal.

Last edited:
x SF med,

Thank you for responding to my questions. First off, I apologize for showing any form of arrogance in my previous posts and responses, I did not mean to show myself in that light. I will take your advice to heart and try to soak up everything that is given to me. I will set my goal on successfully getting what I need in writing at the recruiting office and MEPS.

Thank you for your time.

x SF med,

Thank you for responding to my questions. First off, I apologize for showing any form of arrogance in my previous posts and responses, I did not mean to show myself in that light. I will take your advice to heart and try to soak up everything that is given to me. I will set my goal on successfully getting what I need in writing at the recruiting office and MEPS.

Thank you for your time.

Based only on what you’ve written, you are the type of dude I genuinely root for. Please keep us up to speed on your story and best of success to you.

Hey Core,

Gotta ask....your post seems to want to be a medic in a SOF field. Why not go the PJ route? Or are you dead set on being Army. Just curious.

Hey Core,

Gotta ask....your post seems to want to be a medic in a SOF field. Why not go the PJ route? Or are you dead set on being Army. Just curious.

Kraut783,

I have decided that I will first enlist as a 68W before attempting to reach any Special Operation selection courses. Before becoming anything Special Operations related, I want to ensure that I can do my job as a combat medic confidently and passionately. I have recently realized that by serving within a non-SOF unit, I would be able to gain knowledge and experience in my craft while having time to make a much more mature decision in applying for any selection programs in the future. In regards to the Pararescue route, I am certain that I will not pass the selection, much less the entire pipeline. It would be immature of me to take the opportunity away from a more dedicated candidate just fulfill a what- if dream.

Thank you for your time.

Get to the 82nd, or the 75th. Get your SOCM. Do not try to color outside the lines to make yourself 'more impressive'. Civilian creds will come to you through military programs, but the military applications of TCCC are so far astray from the civilian applications that all you could be doing is having to unlearn and relearn stuff.

Perfect example. I was recently teaching a group of military officers prolonged field care alongside a Navy LCDR (MD) and a highly experienced 18D (15 years on ODAs).

When a question came up regarding fasciotomies, both the physician and I punted to the 18D. She had done one more than I had, which was none. The 18D, on the other hand...

Both the LCDR and I are competent clinicians and have our own particular strengths. But neither of us had sufficient experience to be comfortable teaching the procedure (especially in the setting we were in) despite being able to describe it like textbook authors.

The 18D knocked it out of the park.

If you’re serious about joining anything related to special operations, listen to my very experienced brother with the funny green wool hat.

Last edited:
All stated by my brothers are spot on. My opinion? As a former combat medic with a paramedic cert while at Ft. Bragg, in the 82nd., the experience I received at Bragg (in the 90s) till now, all fall back to my time at Bragg. Like the Troll (his honor;) said, learn the profession of medicine, it is a great time, in most ways, no matter where you are at. Nothing wrong with being a line doc in the 82nd., certainly the 75th. I can tell you, same as policemedic, your civilian certs do not matter and in fact, can hurt you when going through Army medic training. I went through 91B (old 68W) IN 1994. We had cats that were EMT-B, paramedic cert'd. They sucked. Gotta learn it the Army way. I second others that say, they root for you. Get some and let us know how the chips stack....

M.

Thank you for the detailed responses policemedic and Muppet.

It seems like getting an Option 4 in my contract is impossible at this point. I've been stubborn with my recruiters that I will not sign without an Option 4 in my contract, but it seems like the recruiters' hands are tied. They told me getting a slot in airborne school is not difficult during AIT, which seems to contradict with what I've read in military forums. Should I enlist without an airborne option and do my best to get a slot during AIT or wait out until the recruiters can get me an Option 4 in my contract?

Thank you.

I enlisted as 68W Opt-4. However i was pretty ready to take it without the airborne guarantee, i am confident in my physical ability and either way i still have to work my ass off to try and get that RASP slot. So in one way it is nice to enlist without guarantees, because it will keep you honest in your training and make you work even harder.

In theory you could sit it out and wait around for the perfect contract, it is entirely up to you. I personally have no idea how long it could take, maybe that is something to ask your recruiter.

Do what you think is right man, think about your options, do not let anyone pressure you.

Best of luck man!

Thank you for the quick response Border,

To be honest, it doesn't seem likely for me to be able to get an airborne option anytime in the future unless I change my MOS. Most likely, I will enlist and do my best to make things happen. If they don't, I'll work with what I have.

Thank you.

Back