Army 18X Fitness Prep (Prior-Service)

TheAdventitiousOne

Unverified
Hello:

I wanted to write out my upcoming fitness plan and had some specific questions for those more experienced.

Brief background: I have been in the Army Reserve (REMF) for roughly the last eight years. I am gearing up to secure an 18X contract after my Reserve contract ends.

Currently, I am working on a PT program as follows--

Mondays
-Morning: 5 mile run (timed)
-Evening: Upper body (push muscles) strength training

Tuesdays
-Morning: 1hr (brisk) walk; no weight or running (low-impact)
-Evening: Upper body (pull muscles) endurance training

Wednesdays
-Morning: 5 mile ruck (timed)
-Evening: Upper body (push muscles) endurance training

Thursdays
-Morning: 1hr (brisk) walk; no weight or running (low-impact)
-Evening: Upper body (pull muscles) strength training

Fridays
-Morning: 5 mile run (timed)
-Evening: Lower body (strength & endurance rotated every week)

Saturdays
Long or heavy ruck

Sundays
1hr (brisk) walk; no weight or running (low-impact)

___

Every day with also consist of performing several stretches and mobility exercises throughout the day to stay limber and help with DOMS.

Can I get some input on this plan? Am I doing enough? Doing too much?

My thoughts are that I can use no-weight (but still moderately paced) walks as a method of keeping the impact down while still targeting my aerobic capabilities every single day. All runs and rucks will be for time every single time, that way I can track my increases in weight and speed. All runs and rucks will be preceded by sit-ups, leg tucks, or some other exercise that targets the hip flexors.

Thanks for the input.

I think it looks good.

I would make sure you are doing something for grip strength too. Farmers carries are good.

Listen to your body and don't injure yourself.

I think it looks good.

I would make sure you are doing something for grip strength too. Farmers carries are good.

Listen to your body and don't injure yourself.

Agreed on grip strength. I probably should have mentioned that I will mostly work on grip strength when I do my “pull” days. Farmer carries and bar hangs have typically been the things I’ve done the most. Do you have any other SFAS/SFQC specific exercises that you recommend?

This looks very similar to the plan I'm currently working on. Let me know how your evolutions have changed or increased through time.

Back