Army Close to Finalizing Pinks and Greens Uniform for All Soldiers

I've been wanting the Army to revert back to WW2 style since I was in.

I wonder how this will work:

The black beret will remain, but there will also be a service cap and a garrison cap featuring "rounded edges, so it will not look like the pointed edges that were on the old dress greens garrison cap," Dailey said.

Pinks and greens to replace the old Class A and the Blues to remain...the more formal option. The Army has an all or nothing approach to uniforms, but I like how the Marines have an "in between" option.

Soldiers will bitch about setting up a dress uniform, but will take a ridiculous amount of pride in them...which is how it should go. Bitching soldiers are within reason happy soldiers. That's how the world works.

Just make this the primary. I don’t hate the ASU but it just doesn’t have the same look as the old greens or the Pinks. And the wear of tabs looks shitty on them too. And you are going to have some pissed Joes if we have to start wearing these things regularly.

I think this is stupid and unnecessary. With all this time we're spending redesigning uniforms, we could be redesigning our combat strategy to something that actually works.

This uniform change, like the ones before it, are largely "bread and circuses" distractions for the masses.

I forget where I read it, likely here on SS, but isn't there a significant incentive for commanders/leaders to have some tangible evidence of their contributions to a unit, policy, change in whatever, which leads to constant changes or policies of "fixing something that ain't broke". It seems like this is just a ridiculous institutional thing that the Army has simply bred into its upper ranks, and a uniform is just an easy, political, "back-to-our-roots" change.

I think this is stupid and unnecessary. With all this time we're spending redesigning uniforms, we could be redesigning our combat strategy to something that actually works.

This uniform change, like the ones before it, are largely "bread and circuses" distractions for the masses.

I agree that a lot of resources have been wasted on uniform changes but I like this change, I hope it happens, and I hope it's the last one for a long while.

I agree that a lot of resources have been wasted on uniform changes but I like this change, I hope it happens, and I hope it's the last one for a long while.

Every time we change a uniform it costs millions, if not billions, of dollars. Our country is broke, the Army is scaling back benefits, we even had to restructure the entire retirement system. Yet there is plenty of money for uniform changes. Didn't Congress tell all of the services to knock that shit off a few years back? Yet here we are again.

On top of the needless expenditure, don't the SMA and CSA have more important things to be doing with their time? Uniform changes are one of the least important things we need to be worrying about right now. We're in three ground wars right now (four, if you count Africa) and might be in another one in Korea if we're not careful. And the Army continues to struggle with recruiting. We need to focus more on who we're putting into our current uniforms, not what they might look like in new ones.

"Uh-oh Chief, people are starting to ask questions about our f'd up personnel system again."

"Well, Sergeant Major, you know what to do..."

Every time we change a uniform it costs millions, if not billions, of dollars. Our country is broke, the Army is scaling back benefits, we even had to restructure the entire retirement system. Yet there is plenty of money for uniform changes. Didn't Congress tell all of the services to knock that shit off a few years back? Yet here we are again.

On top of the needless expenditure, don't the SMA and CSA have more important things to be doing with their time? Uniform changes are one of the least important things we need to be worrying about right now. We're in three ground wars right now (four, if you count Africa) and might be in another one in Korea if we're not careful. And the Army continues to struggle with recruiting. We need to focus more on who we're putting into our current uniforms, not what they might look like in new ones.

"Uh-oh Chief, people are starting to ask questions about our f'd up personnel system again."

"Well, Sergeant Major, you know what to do..."

Totally agree. Except that IMO, it's important to have a uniform that people want to wear. I personally think the current uniform bites. Like the Marine Corps, the iconic uniform is important to recruiting, retention, and professionalism. I have an (R) after my rank so I do think your opinion matters more.

Totally agree. Except that IMO, it's important to have a uniform that people want to wear. I personally think the current uniform bites. Like the Marine Corps, the iconic uniform is important to recruiting, retention, and professionalism. I have an (R) after my rank so I do think your opinion matters more.

Not at all. That (R) after your rank gives you the benefit of distance. If anything, your opinion is more objective than mine.

I wear Class B or Class A almost every day because of my current job. I think it works just fine. The brown uniform reminds me of the Marine Corps'.

The original uniform was blue, as I recall...at least the coat was. I’m perfectly fine with the blue ASU from a historical perspective.

I do think the WWII uniform looks better but it’s certainly not a back to our roots change and it just isn’t worth the money.

Back