Army Special Forces officer questions

Luckynumber27

Unverified
Good day to all,
I’m a new member and just posted my introduction so I’m going to go ahead and post a few questions I have here.
I’m set on commissioning in the army as an officer and getting a shot at SFAS. I’ve poured through google pages ad nauseam and scoured this site as well and have read everything I could find on the path for officers to apply for SFAS but I haven’t really found a good answer for my specific scenario. With the well connected individuals on here I’m sure I’ll get pointed in the right direction. My question is two fold:

I understand that the Army accepts officers for SFAS based on year group but the process for determining year group has me confused. I’m a prior service navy veteran and my year group was the year I entered active duty service (2015). If I were to commission in the Army, how would my year group be determined? Would it be based on the year I first entered active duty service(which was 2015 and would mean I’m SOL for getting a shot at SFAS)? Or is it determined by when I would get commissioned in the Army or permanent date of rank or some other criteria? I apologize if this is a stupid question but I need to know because I would frankly rather enlist and get a sure shot at selection than commission and never see the pipeline.

My next question is in regards to the competitiveness of getting selected to attend SFAS as an officer. Is there any info on the number of people who apply each cycle and how many actually get selected to attend? Do you need to separate yourself with LOR and awards and the like? I’m trying to get a feel for if its a thing where if you’re a squared away JO with good PT scores and no negative marks, you’re going to get a shot at selection, or if it’s more along the lines of the SEAL officer SOAS scenario where 500+ dudes apply a year and they may take 25 or fewer.

Any info you guys have will be greatly appreciated and I apologize in advance if somehow this has been covered and I simply missed it.

#notaRecuiter but...
Generally you go as a 1LT (P). Some folks go directly after MCCC with waivers. There is no “paperboard.” If you meet initial qualifications, you’ll get a date.

Yes it is competitive, but awards and LORs have nothing to do with it. Good PT, ruck hard, be a good teammate, be a leader.

I appreciate your answer, that’s what I wanted to hear. I was worried about a large pool of applicants applying for a very limited number of seats at SFAS but it appears my worries were unwarranted.
Do you know anything about the year group situation I'm in? If not, no worries, you already helped big time.

Back