slopmaster

Unverified
I'm currently getting a Computer Science degree from a school that's 1 tier below an Ivy League and am looking to start USMC PLC for 6 weeks this summer on an aviation contract (just awaiting some medical clearances). Now, I know this question is a long ways down the road, however, how realistic is it to be able to go to A&S after serving out my 6-8 years as an Aviator? I know the ideal MOS to have pre-MARSOC selection is Infantry but I really do want to fly jets, at least at first. I also understand that the military puts a lot of money into training their pilots so will I be looked down upon for attempting to transition out of the flight community?

Check boxes A, B, C, D, E, F, and G before you start speculating about what happens when you get to the end of the alphabet. Having said that, anything is possible, including failure at any point along your 8-year plan. You're not even a Marine yet. Earn the title. Go from there.

Last edited:
Your window for MARSOC will have passed by the time you pay back your flight time.My last look at the 0370 criteria is that you complete ITC with no more than 1.5 years Time in Grade as an O-3.
-TBS+Flight School+Time at the training squadron all before you even start your first fleet tour. You would most likely be a Captain by then, however not career designated (540 days of observed time in your MOS aka 75XX) before you could even consider a switch of any type.
As Ocoka stated before, focus on getting through OCS, then TBS, then allllllllllllllllllll the flight school, then your training unit. You can get rolled back/dropped for all of those if you aren’t completely focused.

Good luck in your future endeavors and I wish you luck with your journey it’s very rewarding.

Nothing is impossible but I wouldn’t count on it. Like @NorCal88 said, flight school and your payback will almost certainly close your window to lat-move over. You can always serve as a Forward Air Controller in MARSOC. @NorCal88, haven’t seen you around in awhile. You make it to ITC?

I did not, plans didn’t workout for me, I career designated, got orders soon after to Okinawa, been out here since. Finished up with Arty for two years and now I’m at Comm Bn. To say I lost track of time is an understatement.

I’m back on here though, reading up on other potential options

Last edited:
I did not, plans didn’t workout for me, I career designated, got orders soon after to Okinawa, been out here since. Finished up with Arty for two years and now I’m at Comm Bn. To say I lost track of time is an understatement.

I’m back on here though, reading up on other potential options
Are you a log-o?

Some team guys(who went to SOTACC), end up applying for programs flying for ANG, or doing the WO Army programs surprisingly(with the endstate being 160th). The way I see it is going with option A, option B will still be waiting at the end. But going option B, will close out option A due to service/grade time constrictions

Some team guys(who went to SOTACC), end up applying for programs flying for ANG, or doing the WO Army programs surprisingly(with the endstate being 160th). The way I see it is going with option A, option B will still be waiting at the end. But going option B, will close out option A due to service/grade time constrictions
It is much easier to go from SOF to aviation than the other way around. I knew a C130 pilot who left the Marine Corps as a Captain to become an SF officer in the guard. That’s the only example I can think of. I’ve also known several officers who resigned their commissions to enlist in the Army 18x program.

Check boxes A, B, C, D, E, F, and G before you start speculating about what happens when you get to the end of the alphabet. Having said that, anything is possible, including failure at any point along your 8-year plan. You're not even a Marine yet. Earn the title. Go from there.

Your window for MARSOC will have passed by the time you pay back your flight time.My last look at the 0370 criteria is that you complete ITC with no more than 1.5 years Time in Grade as an O-3.
-TBS+Flight School+Time at the training squadron all before you even start your first fleet tour. You would most likely be a Captain by then, however not career designated (540 days of observed time in your MOS aka 75XX) before you could even consider a switch of any type.
As Ocoka stated before, focus on getting through OCS, then TBS, then allllllllllllllllllll the flight school, then your training unit. You can get rolled back/dropped for all of those if you aren’t completely focused.

Good luck in your future endeavors and I wish you luck with your journey it’s very rewarding.
Thank you for the insight and yes I concur, this is all a long ways down the road. I don't expect any part of the journey to be easy by any means.

It is much easier to go from SOF to aviation than the other way around. I knew a C130 pilot who left the Marine Corps as a Captain to become an SF officer in the guard. That’s the only example I can think of. I’ve also known several officers who resigned their commissions to enlist in the Army 18x program.
Definitely something to think about, thank you both for the information.

I'm currently getting a Computer Science degree from a school that's 1 tier below an Ivy League and am looking to start USMC PLC for 6 weeks this summer on an aviation contract (just awaiting some medical clearances). Now, I know this question is a long ways down the road, however, how realistic is it to be able to go to A&S after serving out my 6-8 years as an Aviator? I know the ideal MOS to have pre-MARSOC selection is Infantry but I really do want to fly jets, at least at first. I also understand that the military puts a lot of money into training their pilots so will I be looked down upon for attempting to transition out of the flight community?
Why did you choose Marine Aviation vice the Navy or Air Force?

Why did you choose Marine Aviation vice the Navy or Air Force?
A few reasons. I like the idea of having all of the skills of a Marine Officer while also being able to fly aircraft rather than just having aviation as my sole focus (as it would seem to be the case in the Navy or the Air Force). Another reason is that Air Force Aviation slots seem much harder to acquire than Navy or Marine ones. I also want to get this process started as soon as I can, with the Navy or the Air Force, I'd have to wait after graduation to attend OCS or OTS.

A few reasons. I like the idea of having all of the skills of a Marine Officer while also being able to fly aircraft rather than just having aviation as my sole focus (as it would seem to be the case in the Navy or the Air Force). Another reason is that Air Force Aviation slots seem much harder to acquire than Navy or Marine ones. I also want to get this process started as soon as I can, with the Navy or the Air Force, I'd have to wait after graduation to attend OCS or OTS.

Good answer.

Are you willing to be a Marine Officer who isn't an aviator?
Medical Waivers are revocable.

Personally, I dont feel a Marine Officer gains many skills in the MARSOC community compared to being in the Infantry or possibly Reconnaissance.

Most young commanders gain the most benefit to their personal skills (warfighting, fieldcraft, etc) alongside an experienced SNCO at the troop level.

In MARSOC you will do 1-2 deployments at MOST, thats assuming you can land a team commander position for that long.

Stick with your aviation plan then request MARSOC during your FAC time if you can swing it.

Personally, I dont feel a Marine Officer gains many skills in the MARSOC community compared to being in the Infantry or possibly Reconnaissance.

Most young commanders gain the most benefit to their personal skills (warfighting, fieldcraft, etc) alongside an experienced SNCO at the troop level.

In MARSOC you will do 1-2 deployments at MOST, thats assuming you can land a team commander position for that long.

Stick with your aviation plan then request MARSOC during your FAC time if you can swing it.
thank you for the information

Back