Badger's Intro

Badger

Verified Military
Hello all,

Hopefully this will give you an idea where I am coming from and where I'm trying to go.

I enlisted in the National Guard in 2009 as a 91J (Quartermaster and Chemical Equipment Repairer). The recruiter sold me on the idea that it lined up closest with my plan for getting an electrical engineering degree. Even though he had it somewhat correct, I'm still not sure if he was just referring to ohms law and wires or the nice bonus that helped me get through college.

During college I served in a couple different units, always trying to keep busy and help the organization in any way I could. I was informally introduced to SF through stories from my units previous deployment and I began to do my own research. I really liked the idea behind force multipliers and giving defenseless people the tools and training to stand up for themselves.

With SF in the back of my mind, I began to notice that I took on a great deal of responsibility for my section without having much of a say in our planning and so on. That was what kicked me off on the officer route. I wanted to be able to have more of a say in any unit I am a part of.

To speed things up I commissioned through OCS and graduated MI-BOLC down in Ft. Huachuca, AZ. I am currently acting as the S2 for my battalion and am working on applying for SF. I am from Wisconsin and know that pursuing this will likely mean relocation, which I am fine with.

Anyway, I look forward to learning a lot through this site and the knowledgeable members.

"...I served in a couple different units, always trying to keep busy and help the organization in any way I could."

"...commissioned through OCS..."

I like you already. Welcome!

Welcome to SS.
Possibly one of the best introductions we have seen here in a while.
Best of luck.

Back