Best Pre-PFT Meals

Btom95

Unverified
Hi, I'm a college senior applying for Marine PLC. Sorry if this is the wrong thread, I'm still pretty new to this site and I'm not sure how to navigate it completely. Anyway, I've run two PFT's and have actually surprised myself with my scores. I'm very confident in my pull-ups and crunches but when it comes to my run, I feel like my body just kind of drags. I do plenty of running for my training program and I eat well. It seems like it just hits me during the PFT and my body just loves much slower than my brain if you know what I mean. I'm guessing this is because of improper nutrition prior to the PFT. What were your guys' preparation for the PFT/CFT/whatever else is similar when it comes to nutrition? Keep in mind I'm a poor college student with limited resources. Thanks.

I do not mean to offend, but your whole post made me laugh out loud.

Only because you are really over thinking this - REALLY overthinking this. But if you want to know:

* No idea what I ate pre-bootcamp while in the DEP. Probably Mountain Dew and a microwaved Chuckwagon
* Bootcamp. Whatever they gave us in the mess hall that morning.
* Fleet. Most likely drank way too much the night prior.
* I never scored less than a 285 (just could not max out those damn pull ups)

All 4 of the above statements are true -

On a more serious note - are you pushing yourself against the Marine Corps PFT standard?
Trying to improve your pullups/crunches/run against a 300 PFT score?

There is your motivation to do better...at least it used to be mine...and still is today as I ride my bike and lift at the gym.

Best of success to you!

BTW - read this.

CHANGES TO THE PHYSICAL FITNESS TEST (PFT), COMBAT FITNESS TEST (CFT), AND BODY COMPOSITION PROGRAM (BCP) > The Official United States Marine Corps Public Website > Messages Display

And this...

11 things Marines need to know about the new PFT, CFT and body composition rules

Last edited:
I usually just drink a red bull. Really, eat something that is filling but not heavy on your stomach. You know your body best.

I do not mean to offend, but your whole post made me laugh out loud.

Only because you are really over thinking this - REALLY overthinking this. But if you want to know:

* No idea what I ate pre-bootcamp while in the DEP. Probably Mountain Dew and a microwaved Chuckwagon

All 4 of the above statements are true -

On a more serious note - are you pushing yourself against the Marine Corps PFT standard?
Trying to improve your pullups/crunches/run against a 300 PFT score?

There is your motivation to do better...at least it used to be mine...and still is today as I ride my bike and lift at the gym.

Best of success to you!

BTW - read this.

CHANGES TO THE PHYSICAL FITNESS TEST (PFT), COMBAT FITNESS TEST (CFT), AND BODY COMPOSITION PROGRAM (BCP) > The Official United States Marine Corps Public Website > Messages Display

And this...

11 things Marines need to know about the new PFT, CFT and body composition rules
Thanks for those links. I'm at 18 strict pull-ups now, over the 110 crunches, and a 20:30 run. I'm definitely pushing myself against the perfect 300 score. I want a perfect score and my pull-ups are getting there quickly but my run is just dragging. I always feel like I can run way faster but then I just don't. Looking back on this post, I'm definitely overthinking it. It's not like a certain food is going to shave 2 minutes off my time. I appreciate the response.

My pre-PTF meal? 800 mg ibuprofen and Primatene Mist.*

*NOT recommended. Try eating some decent carbs the night before without "real" carboloading.

...and then once in the fleet, show up to at least one hungover or still buzzing....

I was good with the pull-ups; I had a hard time busting over 70ish crunches.

If you aren't already, you need to be doing interval runs in order to cut any significant amount of time off of your three mile. Something to start with: .25-.5 mile at 80-90% V02 max, .15-.25 mile 50% max. Try that, see how your body responds, and go from there. It's all a learning process. No high-fat food within an hour of running, 150-200 calories 45 minutes out (simple sugars). No high-fiber food either. Hydrate the day prior.

If you aren't already, you need to be doing interval runs in order to cut any significant amount of time off of your three mile. Something to start with: .25-.5 mile at 80-90% V02 max, .15-.25 mile 50% max. Try that, see how your body responds, and go from there. It's all a learning process. No high-fat food within an hour of running, 150-200 calories 45 minutes out (simple sugars). No high-fiber food either. Hydrate the day prior.
I've heard here and there about interval running but have never tried it. I'll definitely incorporate it and see how it works out. Thanks for the nutritional advice, that's what I'm looking for.

I've heard here and there about interval running but have never tried it. I'll definitely incorporate it and see how it works out. Thanks for the nutritional advice, that's what I'm looking for.

If you have not done interval training, you will definitely shave time off. Quarter mile pick-ups followed by a slower second lap, total of 4-5 "fast" quarters, totaling 2, 2 1/2 miles. That worked for me; there are a ton of interval plans out there.

I've never maxed the PFT (296 pr), but I can tell you there's no magic formula. Personally, I've found only three things that legitimately help me run faster:
1. Being properly hydrated
2. Good, hard training in the weeks/months leading up to the PFT
3. Competition. Nothing makes you run faster than the fear of getting beat. Well, maybe the fear of dying...

What? The only fuel you need is to still be drunk from the night before!

2012-06-01-Strip_203_That_One_Guy_web.gif

Terminal Lance knows the score

@Btom95 Just going to throw in my 2 cents. Normally I eat some fruit like pineapple or strawberries then a small bowl of oatmeal with some honey in it. Keep it light though because too much food will make you lethargic. That is also what works for me. It may not work for you. Every body is different.

Also, You may be looking in the wrong direction. Maybe it isn't your pre-workout meal. Maybe it is a lack of warm up/dynamic stretching. Are you warming up and doing some active stretches before the run? Are you hydrated well enough as well?

I feed myself black coffee and anger before PT events.

Since it's usually first thing in the morning, I don't eat anything. Unless I am doing a triathlon or a 12 miler, I don't need to eat.

Last edited:
I feed myself black coffee and abger before PT events.

Since it's usually first thing in the morning, I don't eat anything. Unless you are doing a triathlon or a 12 miler, I don't need to eat.

The only thing I have before my daily workouts is black coffee and half a bottle of water. I will have a little snack, maybe a yogurt, if I am doing a long run (well, long for me) or an extended workout.

@Btom95 Just going to throw in my 2 cents. Normally I eat some fruit like pineapple or strawberries then a small bowl of oatmeal with some honey in it. Keep it light though because too much food will make you lethargic. That is also what works for me. It may not work for you. Every body is different.

Also, You may be looking in the wrong direction. Maybe it isn't your pre-workout meal. Maybe it is a lack of warm up/dynamic stretching. Are you warming up and doing some active stretches before the run? Are you hydrated well enough as well?

Thanks, I don't keep fresh fruit in my apartment but I'll make a point to grab some before my next event. I'm sure that will help.

My warmup is pretty basic I just do some static and dynamic stretches to loosen up and get the blood flowing. Have any suggestions?

Back