Big decisions, looking for advice

Drew_boy

Unverified
Hello everyone, I wasn't entirely sure where this thread should go so I put it under general discussion. I'm 21 years old and commute to a university full time, I'm working part time, and volunteer with the fire department. Since freshman year of high school I've been thinking of enlisting. I didn't enlist after high school because I wanted to atleast get some college under my belt as I know how important higher education is. I've been indecisive ever since. It's mostly a liberal arts school with a few sciences and allied health, no engineering or the like.

I've finished my general education and really need to crack down on a major, or not go back to school and quit wasting this loan money. Im not happy in school, and the options at this school to me doesn't satisfy my desire for being of service and aid others. I'm 110% sure I want to pursue medicine in some form or fashion and am in love with 68wopt40/4 or corpsman, I can't think of anything else.

My issue right now is I have convinced myself that if I don't enlist now I never will as there is such a short window to enlist and it's a young mans game, plus enlisting with a bachelors seems like taking 2 steps back. At the same time I feel if I don't finish my 4 year degree now, whatever it'll be, then I won't finish. Ive talked with dad and his friends who were in the military, my dad was 160th. My parents are supportive of what ever I do as long as I'm not a stripper or deal drugs or crap like that but they want me to finish school. I've talked with all the recruiters, except the marine corps, as they don't have a medical corps, and I know what my options are. I took the asvab my AFQT was 90 and my line scores were 126 across. The navy recruiter said that HM would be really silly considering I qualify for nuclear tech and more technical jobs than HM but it's not what I want, same for the army recruiter.

I'd just really like some advice for people who may have been in my situation, I feel like a rock in a hard place and that I'm going no where fast, any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys for reading and have an awesome day.

It's your life. Don't live it by how others tell you to, and while you are at it, don't live a life of regrets. If you want to be a Corpsmen, go enlist as an HM and pursue your dream. A lot of recruiters will try and get you to enlist under what jobs they have difficulty filling, for one reason or another. If you have your heart set on something, and you qualify to do it, than go do it. I scored about the same thing on my ASVAB and wanted to be a grunt and was willing to wait six months from my high school graduation date to become one because no SOI slots were open until then, regardless of what the Army recruiter tried to sell me on. In fact, I need to find him and thank him for that, because if it weren't for him, I would have been a soldier. :ack::-"

To your thought about taking two steps back, there are lots of great military members who enlist with more than just a four year baccalaureate degree.

I was an enlisted guy with a BA in poli sci and spoke another language (not well, but passable). I wanted one thing: HM with a guaranteed slot at FMSS (now FMTB). I was a unicorn, that recruited tried so hard to get me into about a dozen other fields. Of course with those scores the recruiter wants you to do nuke, they are always and forever undermanned because you have to be a damned physicist to get into the program.

It's your life and you need to live it. Ordinarily I would suggest sticking out college but I am also not a fan of using loans to getting a degree in something for the sake of having a sheepskin on the wall. The military would at least get you the money to finish a degree on the back end, and by then if you decide the military isn't for you, you'll have learned some life lessons and made some scratch.

If you have questions about being a HM, ask away. 68 opt 40, not so much. Good luck.

HM with a guaranteed slot at FMSS (now FMTB).

I know your rate can be guaranteed, but I didn't think that slots at FMTB could. I was told that you can essentially ask at the end of A school but it's a shot in the dark for FMTB because dental technicians and being in a hospital is in much more demand. And at this point in school I would be finishing just to finish not because it's something I want to pursue, like you said sheepskin. I've managed to save money with scholarships and commuting but I'm about 15,000 in right now, which really is nothing in the grand scheme of things but it seems like a lot of money wince I'm only making 11.20$ an hour haha. My schooling has gotten to where I either go to a different school or join the military, and I really don't have the money to go anywhere else right now unless I'm taking out big money in loans. What benefits would I see enlisting with a 4yr degree besides starting off at e4 and having promotion points?

My issue right now is I have convinced myself that if I don't enlist now I never will as there is such a short window to enlist and it's a young mans game, plus enlisting with a bachelors seems like taking 2 steps back.

The navy recruiter said that HM would be really silly considering I qualify for nuclear tech and more technical jobs than HM but it's not what I want, same for the army recruiter.

1srcj8.jpg

enlisting with a bachelors seems like taking 2 steps back

There is nothing wrong with enlisting after completing your degree. There are many college educated enlisted soldiers and it puts you on the fast track for promotion. I would finish the degree. That being said, I wouldn't worry too much about never completing your degree if you do choose to enlist prior to finishing. Chances are, you will be more driven after your service and you may even have a chance to finish the degree while in service.

I know your rate can be guaranteed, but I didn't think that slots at FMTB could. I was told that you can essentially ask at the end of A school but it's a shot in the dark for FMTB because dental technicians and being in a hospital is in much more demand. And at this point in school I would be finishing just to finish not because it's something I want to pursue, like you said sheepskin. I've managed to save money with scholarships and commuting but I'm about 15,000 in right now, which really is nothing in the grand scheme of things but it seems like a lot of money wince I'm only making 11.20$ an hour haha. My schooling has gotten to where I either go to a different school or join the military, and I really don't have the money to go anywhere else right now unless I'm taking out big money in loans. What benefits would I see enlisting with a 4yr degree besides starting off at e4 and having promotion points?

I went in in the mid-90s, a slot wasn't impossible.

The bennies are E4 and promo points and the satisfaction you have a degree. You WILL have a leg-up on non-degreed peers with promo and some schools. You will be treated with a little deference by NCOs, and some officers particularly nurse & med corps. Aside from that, no benefit to joining with a degree.

...wasting this loan money...not happy in school..options at this school to me doesn't satisfy my desire for being of service and aid others....

...My parents are supportive of what ever I do but they want me to finish school...

...I've talked with all the recruiters, except the marine corps...

...I feel like a rock in a hard place and that I'm going no where fast...

Pretty goddamn obvious from your statements you want us to tell you to drop out of college. You'll never get that advice from me. It's also pretty goddam obvious your parents are smart and want you to finish school. Ultimately, you're going do what you want to do...then you live with whatever choice you make.

Also, put an uppercase "M" and and uppercase "C" on Marine Corps. It's a thing with us. Respect for our Fallen.

Pretty goddamn obvious from your statements you want us to tell you to drop out of college. You'll never get that advice from me. It's also pretty goddam obvious your parents are smart and want you to finish school. Ultimately, you're going do what you want to do...then you live with whatever choice you make.

I'll make sure I capitalize "M" and "C" I didn't realize. I'm not looking for an excuse or someone to confirm a bias, my feelings about school are more of a financial reality. I love college and it's not the learning that's making me unhappy, it's that I don't have a plan for school. I've been in college for 2 years I should have game plan on what degree I want to earn and I don't have it. By enlisting I can at least earn money to put towards that degree instead of footing the bill in loans straight up. From where I'm at that makes the most sense, or maybe I'm just being nearsighted.

By enlisting I can at least earn money to put towards that degree instead of footing the bill in loans straight up

I know the feeling. This is not necessarily a bad plan. It worked for me and many other vets. Ultimately, you have to make the decision and then own it.

I know the feeling. This is not necessarily a bad plan. It worked for me and many other vets. Ultimately, you have to make the decision and then own it.
when you left the military what kind of obstacles did you face finishing your degree? or what may you have done differently? I appreciate you replying

...My issue right now is I have convinced myself that if I don't enlist now I never will as there is such a short window to enlist and it's a young mans game...

I feel like college is a young man's game.
I quit college to join the military. After being in for awhile, I realized that I gave up on something super important to me for something else that was super important to me. I am now scrambling to take 6 courses per semester to maximize my GI bill and finish my bachelors. I also work 40+ hours a week at a job I hate so I can support my family.

Stay in school. Join a frat. Bang hot girls. Drink a lot of beer.
You'll have plenty of time to wear cammies and walk really far with a heavy ruck after you graduate.

PS: if you want to be FMF HM, and "love medicine"... declare Biology.

I didn't leave the military. I found a home in the Army and did nearly 23 years on active duty. I did finish my degree and it helped me then and now. If you leave the military after your first hitch, the GI bill is great. You get the college money and E-5 pay while going to school, which eliminates any major obstacles. I caution you not to join the military just for the college money though, its not an easy gig. You should want to serve as much as you want the GI Bill.

Many people see a college degree as a major life changing goal. I put military service on equal or better footing with that life event. I've known men who have led highly successful lives in the civilian sector but identified most strongly with the formative years they spend in military service to our nation. You may not enjoy every moment you spend in uniform but you will never regret it.

Your recruiter cares about you, his quotas, his boss, and his career...in reverse order. Keep that in mind when you talk to him.

I would apply to the SARC program if I were you. It offers you incredible opportunities if you can pass the challenging entry criteria.

We see this advice to the youngsters often. Be not with the caveat that they be "hot girls". Well played and way to up the game!

I'm just saying... if you were into that kind of thing (as I assume most 20 something A-type military wannabes are) college is the ideal place to be.

I feel like college is a young man's game.
I quit college to join the military. After being in for awhile, I realized that I gave up on something super important to me for something else that was super important to me. I am now scrambling to take 6 courses per semester to maximize my GI bill and finish my bachelors. I also work 40+ hours a week at a job I hate so I can support my family.

Stay in school. Join a frat. Bang hot girls. Drink a lot of beer.
You'll have plenty of time to wear cammies and walk really far with a heavy ruck after you graduate.

PS: if you want to be FMF HM, and "love medicine"... declare Biology.
I don't know about the frat part, but I'm a biology major right now. I've done human anatomy & physiology, calc, all that fun stuff and I like it. I took human anatomy too because I figured it would also help towards corpsman or medic. The bad thing is biology unlike nursing or engineering or what have you is it just doesn't correlate to a specific job. I've seen other Bio majors and still working their minimum wage job they had while going to school and that terrifies me. But I absolutely get what you're saying, school is easier now since I only have to support myself.

I didn't leave the military. I found a home in the Army and did nearly 23 years on active duty. I did finish my degree and it helped me then and now. If you leave the military after your first hitch, the GI bill is great. You get the college money and E-5 pay while going to school, which eliminates any major obstacles. I caution you not to join the military just for the college money though, its not an easy gig. You should want to serve as much as you want the GI Bill.
Absolutely, I've been thinking of joining before I was worried whether or not I could pay for my next semester, it's just a big lunge to make I've never been anywhere else besides ft Campbell. I appreciate everyone's points of view it is helpful.

Back