Data Breaches

AWP

SOF Support
Something I stumbled across today, this is the list of 2017 to date. SOme of these are big names with limited damage, but a partial list that may be of some interest:

Identity Theft Resource Center

Marine Corps Association
Crimson Trace
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (16,000 CCW holders)
Verizon
Capital One
Gamestop
NC DMV
US Air Force
Arby's
Toys R Us
XBOX 360 and Playstation accounts

There are a ton of universities, medical providers, and health insurance providers on that list. Some little known but kind of frightening information to start your day. If you think you're affected, you may want to reach out to those companies.

It's the cost of doing business, with 'just hope you don't get whacked' being the mantra. ID theft is a biggie and will continue to be so for some time yet. Organised crime, vis a vis ID theft in my neck of the woods comes out of Thailand generally, with some also from China.

Last edited:

So this is pretty crazy news. Well at least the CEO apologized for their customer's concerns and frustrations.

They set up a website for people concerned about the breach.

Cybersecurity Incident & Important Consumer Information | Equifax

Providing a few services
  • No Evidence of Unauthorized Access to Core Consumer or Commercial Credit Reporting Databases
  • Company to Offer Free Identity Theft Protection and Credit File Monitoring to All U.S. Consumers

After Equifax hack that exposed data of 143 million people, 3 executives sold stock

"Bloomberg News reported Thursday evening that three company executives - chief financial officer John Gamble; Joseph Loughran III, the president of U.S. information solutions; and Rodolfo Ploder, the president of workforce solutions - sold large amounts of their shares of Equifax stock totaling nearly $1.8 million in the days after the breach was discovered July 29. The Washington Post confirmed the sales based on Securities and Exchange Commission filings.

The stock trades were not part of a previous scheduled sale, federal filings show.

A company spokeswoman, Ines Gutzmer, said in an email Thursday night, "The three executives who sold a small percentage of their Equifax shares on Tuesday, August 1, and Wednesday, August 2, had no knowledge that an intrusion had occurred at the time they sold their shares.""

Another interesting development.

Since interesting strings attached of you look to Equifax for support.

If you want help from Equifax, there are strings attached

• You can't get help right away.
  • You are giving up some of your rights to sue.
  • Equifax isn't promising help fixing your credit
The stolen data includes names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and driver's license numbers.

Another interesting development.

Since interesting strings attached of you look to Equifax for support.

If you want help from Equifax, there are strings attached

• You can't get help right away.
  • You are giving up some of your rights to sue.
  • Equifax isn't promising help fixing your credit
The stolen data includes names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and driver's license numbers.

Corporations are people too...shitty, shitty, people.

Corporations are people too...shitty, shitty, people.

They are also only looking to the interest of the share holders.

Does anyone believe that the government will step in and assess penalties on Equifax? Outside of the execs that sold some shares of course.

They are also only looking to the interest of the share holders.

Does anyone believe that the government will step in and assess penalties on Equifax? Outside of the execs that sold some shares of course.

I don't think the government will assess penalties against them at all. I think that's one of the unifying themes of populism across both major parties in American politics that none of the major politicians (except Sanders and the President) understand. The idea there's a separate set of rules for those at the top and they get by while screwing over everyone else. I think the blue-collar dude in Ohio and the occupy wallstreet protester might agree on nothing else - but on that. And frankly, I think both of them are right on that point.

Back