Does anyone take solo vacations?

Ooh-Rah

Semper-Fi
For as long as I can remember, I take one week every year and take a solo vacation. I used to camp at a remote site, but as I got older and the bugs/ticks seemed to get worse, I find myself shying away from the thin protection of a tent and now instead rent a small cabin on near a lake with good hiking trails.

This is something that I’ve always been upfront with girlfriends, wife, and now girlfriend again.

In my current job, the pace picks up to a nearly manic level shortly after July 4th and stays that way until about Thanksgiving; this is my was of completely destressing. For the most part I cook my meals over fire and walk thousands of steps per day. Cigars and bourbon typically end my evening before I go to bed and do it all over again the next day.

By Thursday or Friday I’m ready to come home and merge back into civilization again, but there is something to be said for not having to be accountable for anyone else’s concerns or timeframes for that week.

Surely I cannot be the only one?

For as long as I can remember, I take one week every year and take a solo vacation. I used to camp at a remote site, but as I got older and the bugs/ticks seemed to get worse, I find myself shying away from the thin protection of a tent and now instead rent a small cabin on near a lake with good hiking trails.

This is something that I’ve always been upfront with girlfriends, wife, and now girlfriend again.

In my current job, the pace picks up to a nearly manic level shortly after July 4th and stays that way until about Thanksgiving; this is my was of completely destressing. For the most part I cook my meals over fire and walk thousands of steps per day. Cigars and bourbon typically end my evening before I go to bed and do it all over again the next day.

By Thursday or Friday I’m ready to come home and merge back into civilization again, but there is something to be said for not having to be accountable for anyone else’s concerns or timeframes for that week.

I take short ones all the time, and longer ones when I'm not taking extended vacation for family/friends.

Who around you has been suggesting that is out of the norm, and why would they say that?

I’ve never done it but there is absolutely nothing wrong with it and it actually sounds pretty amazing.

If that helps you to decompress, then go for it, Brother. I rarely ever do anything like that without my family, but that has been the way it has been since I was initially married. Growing up, we didn't do a lot as a family, so I do everything with my family at this point and thoroughly enjoy it. I hope you enjoy those times to the fullest - since you earned them.

Mrs Gunz and I never get away together. One of us has always had to stay home to tend to the critters. So individually we've traveled to see the kids, but I can't remember when we went some place together overnight.

I've traveled alone out to my former CO's Texas Pig Kill/Beer Swill hog hunt...but it would be just me and him and another Marine... and about a thousand Shiner Bocks.

I can't wait! 8-)

Maria and I went to colonial Williamsburg a few years back, our first time, I'm an American Revolution need.

We stayed in a small apartment on the main street, market square kitchen. Historically, Jefferson stayed there while attending the College of William and Mary, studying law.

Here I am, like a kid in a candy shop, thinking the entire town was maintained since the 1700s.

Only to find out, its a reconstruction of blue prints found, including Jeffersons apartment.

I was crushed, Maria laughed the entire time.

So, we attended a small play at the capitol, "resolve" where Gov Patrick Henry said his "give me liberty". The actors asked for volunteers, I raised my hand, Maria was pissed since I was playing Henry, she was my first lady.

I was given a wool coat, the speech. My time came, I said the speech, loud and proud, stomping my foot, the stares I got, Maria held her head in her hands.

It was fucking epic!

Maria and I went to colonial Williamsburg a few years back, our first time, I'm an American Revolution need.

We stayed in a small apartment on the main street, market square kitchen. Historically, Jefferson stayed there while attending the College of William and Mary, studying law.

Here I am, like a kid in a candy shop, thinking the entire town was maintained since the 1700s.

Only to find out, its a reconstruction of blue prints found, including Jeffersons apartment.

I was crushed, Maria laughed the entire time.

So, we attended a small play at the capitol, "resolve" where Gov Patrick Henry said his "give me liberty". The actors asked for volunteers, I raised my hand, Maria was pissed since I was playing Henry, she was my first lady.

I was given a wool coat, the speech. My time came, I said the speech, loud and proud, stomping my foot, the stares I got, Maria held her head in her hands.

It was fucking epic!
It's nice when karma swings back around in record time ;-).

Very cool story!

Done a couple solo weekend trips around the Southeast and while TDY to get away from the community for a while.

One of the best trips was a last minute decision to go on leave in Austin. I think I was taking leave off for Pathfinder, tried walking on, didn’t work, had two weeks and no plans.

Spent all my post deployment money on a hotel and flight. Had a blast, met some cool people, woke up with my chest tattoo one morning. Solo trips can be fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back