Enlisted or Officer

Jay J Alex

Unverified
Awhile back I asked about becoming an 18A. I was thinking more lately is it better to go the enlisted route and then go officer?

What are your goals, and what do you want to get out of your military service?
This may sound cliche to you, but I want to push myself mentally and I believe being an SF soldier will do just that. As far as what I'm looking to get out of serving in the military is something I'm still questioning myself as we speak. I can honestly say that I don't want to become a green beret on the mere fact of just to get attention, get all the glory, get cool points, or finally become the "popular" guy in the room.

As far as what I'm looking to get out of serving in the military is something I'm still questioning myself as we speak.

If you don't know your own goals, how can we help? A short comparison between 18A and 18everythingelse.
Enlisted: Far more team time.
Officer: 18-24 months on a team, maybe a bit more if you're picked up for a specialty team, and then staff work.

That's an oversimplification, but we have some GREAT officers and NCO's who can expound. Regardless, if you don't know what you want, our avenues to help are limited.

You can always commission after team time, it really depends on your professional aspirations. I had the very same dilemma and every officer I spoke to wished they were a team guy again. On the other hand, every team guy had one thing or another to bitch about. Ultimately, don’t let the green grass fool you and commit to whatever you decide on.

Back