Fitness Milestones & Plans to share

nobodythank you

Geek
SOF Support
Having seen rant/rave threads for various topics through out the years, I thought it might be helpful to some of us to share in our fitness successes and plans as we try to better ourselves. It is not an easy road by any means. I will start off the fun.

This time last year I was about 240lbs. At 5'7" that creates a rather portly view lol. Honestly, the turning point for me was when I had to attend a re-certification class and actually wear slacks and dress shirts again. When I barely fit into a pair I decided I had enough and started to count my calories. I used the free myfitnesspal app to keep a food diary of what I ate, while trying to keep under a certain amount of calories a day. In 4 months I dropped to about 215. Not being a gym rat, and hating that culture, I decided I was ready to start working out and hit the P90x (disc and xbox fitness series) program hard at home. At first I did a round of P90x without including the nutrition plan and that helped to get me in a more physically oriented mindset.

Now, I am about half way through my second round of incorporating the original P90x with the P90x for Xbox Fitness programs and am now at 190lbs and dropping. I am also noticing much better muscle definition throughout my body, which is cool lol. It has been well over a decade since I was under 200lbs, much less at 190 and still dropping. It feels good.

I have modified the nutrition plan to work for me. Instead of eating what they tell you, I stay under the percentages for fat, protein, sugar, and carbs. I only eat two main meals a day, a pre workout smoothie (to increase my protein intake), and a snack at night to ward off the munchies. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures because it is a bitch to take them by yourself, but it has definitely improved my health and overall quality of life. I rarely have intestinal issues, I sleep better at night, and I am generally more energetic. As for cheat meals, I usually have one or two through the week and they usually pass right through me without too much damage. However, if I overdo the cheat meal my stomach will mount an insurrection.

Your turn. What recent milestones, successes, or plans do you have that work for you?

Before I joined the Navy I got as high as 250ish (5'8"). I ate better, exercised more, drank less to lose weight, then joined the Navy. When I was in the Navy I was 190ish. Got out, weight jumped up to 220. Now with cutting back carbs and sugar I am around 195, been here for a couple years. I would like to lose about 10 more, maybe 15, but those last pounds are pretty damned stubborn. I exercise 4 days a week, "boot camp"-type HIIT exercises and cardio.

I recall my 20s and 30s dropping weight wasn't that hard. Now at 47, it's much harder....a lot more output for a lot less gain. I guess I need to clamp down my diet a bit more and add another day or two of PT.

My story comes from gaining instead of losing weight. When I joined the Army I weighed about 145 at 6 foot tall, I was a string bean. When I got to Colorado with the 4th ID, I'm not kidding when I say that a gust of wind from the Rockies would actually knock me on the ground or take me off balance. I was a hard gainer and an ectomorph. It didn't help that Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays were run days for PT, with the lengths being 3, 5 and usually 7-10 miles on Friday. But my last year active duty and first year in the Guard I went into a serious two year long bulking session. It was a somewhat "clean" bulk with prepared meals like chicken breasts and rice. But I would also drink a half gallon of chocolate milk a day and have some diabetes snacks as well. I went from 170 to 210 and still had my glamorized abs along with new big arms/shoulders and legs. It was also the most happy I've ever been, mostly due to the crazy amount of food I was eating and never being starved. I started off with a traditional hypertrophy styled workout plan with the standard 8-10 rep range that just about every body builder knows. I played with some German volume training, power lifting with my friends from Texas and generally liked to bounce from one workout type to another after 4-5 months so I didn't get bored or accustomed to the exercises.

Right now I am doing Swift Strong and Durable- 8 week TACP training program. It is a lot of fun except for the damn 9 mile runs.

Now when people meet me I am told I am "kind of intimidating", which makes me happy because my story is a lot like Steve Rogers becoming Captain America. I reached my goal of looking how I want to look, aka more like mesomorph. But I still can improve and have more goals to accomplish.

I was 265lbs (5'10") last year this time, I am 215lbs currently, my goal was 185lbs by this June, but like @TLDR20, I just drink too much (beer) too keep losing. I have taken up mountain biking recently (last month) and have enjoyed it thus far, still do P90X workout's but had to back off due to some nerve damage flair ups. I have a couple surgeries scheduled over the summer, so it will be maintaining thing for now, but plan to hit hard again in the fall. Ultimate goal will be to get under 175lbs and under 10% BFI.

Sorry-dont know what P90X stands for. I am just new at walking-brisk pace-and also eating right.Ilike to consider myself 5ft-9-but thats in heels.Im a shrimpy 5 foot 2 and a half.-have about 10 lbs to lose.Problem is muscle mass-toning.
Though I think Im eating well-maybe being referred to a dietician is a great idea.
Im in it to win it for heart health.
I subscribe to SealFit-I enjoy when he gets into more of the mental than the physical-but they go hand in hand.
Everyone-keep at it.Respect out for your honesty.

I'm 5'10. During my 20's and 30's, I was 165-170.

I am currently between 192 and 200.

I have been dealing with an Achilles tendinosis for the past year. I have been lifting and doing aerobics.

I have finished a GoRuck. My boys, who are doing sports, have thanked me for working out with them.

I try to watch what I eat but I also know that life can end on a dime.

I do not subscribe to any program or diet. I think moderation is key. I want to laugh, drink, eat and be merry. I want to see my children laugh, grow, mature, & learn. I want to walk next to my wife and hold her hands while she babbles about whatever the fuck she wants.

I just do not want to follow anyone else's table of contents on how to enjoy life.

I'm gonna blaze my own trail and reap that which I have sown.

Do whatever your heart & mind tells you and do not regret your choices. I will not.

Last edited:
I'm 5'10. During my 20's and 30's, I was 165-170.

I am currently between 192 and 200.

I am have been dealing with a Achilles tendinosis for the past year. I have been lifting and doing aerobics.

I have finished a GoRuck. My boys, who are doing sports, have thanked me for working out with them.

I try to watch what I eat but I also know that life can end on a dime.

I do not subscribe to any program or diet. I think moderation is key. I want to laugh, drink, eat and be merry. I want to see my children laugh, grow, mature, & learn. I want to walk next to my wife and hold her hands while she babbles about whatever the fuck she wants.

I just do not want to follow anyone else's table of contents on how to enjoy life.

I'm gonna blaze my own trail and reap that which I have sown.

Do whatever your heart & mind tells you and do not regret your choices. I will not.

I did a GoRuck last fall with a group of guys with whom I work out. It reminded me of the things I miss and do not miss about being in the military, but I was quite impressed with the cadre and what they were trying to do.

And I agree; in my phase of life I am in the "all things in moderation" camp. Sure, I'd like to lose a few more pounds, but I am not sacrificing beer or pizza to do it.

My son just bought s set of weights-bench-etc.Is that good for heart health and is that considered a cardio work out or not?Definitely going to need someone at home to spot me.

Just got on his bench-didnt realize he had this leg pushing thing also.This old chica did well tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
My son just bought s set of weights-bench-etc.Is that good for heart health and is that considered a cardio work out or not?Definitely going to need someone at home to spot me.

Sure, it can be. Medium weight with good form and some speed will crank the ol' ticker right up there. Youtube is awash with weight circuit exercises.

Goal: To be in the same shape when I hit 40 that I was at 20...:thumbsup:

Reality: I seriously just want to be able to walk.... :ROFLMAO:

Update: I turned 40 and cant walk. ......:zzz:

Last edited:
It's nice to see that a lot of you had the same problems as me and overcame it to become military or SOF. It gives me a lot of hope that nothing is impossible. I was pushing 260 when I was graduation High School. A few years later I decided I wasn't going to stay big because I wanted to join the military. I ran all around the mall my recruiting center was located until I got down into the 190s and after a few tries I mad it. Sadly I got kicked out when I was in AIT but I used the time out to make sure I had my stuff together. I came back in 2010 and I'm still going. The next move is hopefully switch over to the guard and try for SOF or at least SOF support for 19th and 20th group. I wish you all good careers.

Just switched over to the SOFLETE programming. Been doing Military Athlete for awhile and wanted to switch things up.

@CDG have you had any experience with their chassis integrity concept?

What do you mean? Mil Athlete has started doing a lot of programming based around chassis integrity as well. I have experience with workouts geared towards it, and I believe the concept is valid.

I apologize. In my head I was thinking MA, but it didn't come out. I just started Fortitude and I was curious as to the gains you may have seen from their chassis integrity concept. I would assume the gains would be significant, but I would like to hear from someone that has done it.

I apologize. In my head I was thinking MA, but it didn't come out. I just started Fortitude and I was curious as to the gains you may have seen from their chassis integrity concept. I would assume the gains would be significant, but I would like to hear from someone that has done it.

I've done several of their CI programs. They're good and I believe they work. I noticed gains.

Back