Fitness

Hi guys. I'm signing a REP63 contract at the end of August and then I'll be in RSP / not ship out to OSUT until late November, possibly even December. For the past six months, I've built up an okay strength base, focusing on squats, deadlifts, with a little work on benchpress and OHP. I'm 168 and 5'10" but I intend to gain 10lb before leaving in muscle mass. At the same time, I've also focused on building a strong aerobic base, getting comfortable running out past 7 miles at an 8 min. / mi. pace as I never played a sport in high school and didn't have the running base some of my friends got from high school XC. The past month and a half I've also gained about ten pounds (from 158) while also losing body fat (8% estimated body fat).

Once my classes end at the end of this week, I intend to ramp up my training with a pretty intense training program I've made, using materials from mountain athlete, some running books (Jack Daniels), THOR, and some other reading. Right now I go to the gym MWF with the fourth day thrown in usually on Tuesday or Thursday, while running TuThFSa, with Friday and Saturday both being LSS's in order to practice the endurance needed at SFAS. My goals are to hit about 180 in weight, run a sub 35 min 5 mile, and of course max or come close to maxing the APFT. I'm in the low 250s right now with pushups being my weak spot so I intend to do a ton of upper body training the next 9 weeks to really get that in check. I also want to improve on my front squat and deadlifts, while also get my benchpress and OHP to something at least respectable as my 1RM for bench press is only a bit above 200, which is where I'm front squatting for 8 reps easily.

My first week in my SFAS prep training plan is here if anyone is curious:

Monday:

AM: (Lower body and abdominal work)

5 Rounds 90s rest
1. Broad Jump 2. Back Squat-10x5 at 60% 3. Ab-wheel rollout
4 Rounds 90s rest
1. Box Jump 2. Front-squat @ ramping 8x4 3. Dead-bugs
5 Rounds 90s rest
1. BB Front Lunge 2. 20 V-Ups 3. Ab wheel 4. Farmer Carries

PM:
3 mi. Tempo Run or 30min recovery run

Tuesday

AM (upper body and oblique work):
1. DB Row 2. Bench-Ramping to 10rm 3. Single-Arm Farmer’s Carry
1. DB Row 2. Single-arm DB press 3. Side planks 30sec
5 Rounds 90s rest
1. 25 Pushups 2. 10 Pull-ups 3. 5 Ab-wheel 4. DB Reverse Lunge 5. Farmer Carries

PM:
Sprint 400m x8-12 under 1:24 w/ 1:30 of rest

Wednesday

AM:
1. Broad Jump 2. Front Squat-55/60/65/70/75% x5 3. Ab-wheel rollout
Speed Deadlift-15x1 at 60%, very short rest
5 Rounds 90s rest 1.
1. Clean-Grip Reverse Lunge 2. 20 V-Ups 3. Ab wheel 4. Farmer Carries

PM:
45min LSS

Thursday

AM:
1. 10 Pull-ups 2. Overhead-55/65/75%x5 3. Single-Arm Farmer’s Carry
1. 2 from F Pull-ups 2. Incline DB press 3. Side planks 45 sec
EMOM 20 Pushups for 4 Rounds them max reps for 1 min
Tabata Assault Bike or Versiclimber 30/30s for 5 rounds (anaerobic conditioning)

Friday

AM:
1. Broad Jump 2. Back Squat-Work up to 10rm 3. Ab-wheel rollout
1. Box Jump 2. Front-squat @ ramping 8x4 3. Dead-bugs
5 Rounds 90s rest 1. DB BSS 2. Ab wheel 3. Farmer Carries 4. 20 V-Ups

PM:
60 min LSS

Saturday

AM:
1. DB Row 2. Bench-5x10 at 60% 3. Single-Arm Farmer’s Carry
1. DB Row 2. Single-arm DB press 3. Side planks 1min
5 Rounds 90s rest
1. 25 Pushups 2. 10 Pull-ups 3. 5 Ab wheel 4. DB Reverse Lunge 5. Farmer Carries

PM:
Ruck or LSS 75 Min

Basically, the strength training follows a format of three clusters, with the first two being clusters of three exercises of one antagonistic movement, a primary movement, and an ab or oblique exercise. The third cluster is either a total body circuit, a circuit of accessory movements for either lower or upper body, or sometimes just calisthenics work. Running is very much focused on distance as you can see besides one tempo run and a sprint day. The reason for this is because doing lots of sprint work while doing a lot of lower body strength training is not really effective. This is also why my one sprint day is on an upper body day. Everything else is for time either at a half marathon or easy pace (a little bit slower than half marathon pace).
Before I started studying for finals I was working out at about this tempo so I don't think overtraining should be an issue provided I eat a ton of protein, sleep well, and avoid doing stupid stuff like ramping up my speed a ton at the end of an LSS.

Everything is most importantly progressive with weights getting heavier, circuits getting harder, times for 400m intervals getting shorter, and running distances/time spent running getting longer. The most important thing that I didn't put here is mobility work. I try to do mobility work every day, even on Sundays when I don't work out or do anything strenuous. I want to make sure I'm strong sure, but I also want to make sure that I won't get injured, especially during the first couple days of SFAS (log PT) as that will just make things much more difficult than they need to be. That's also why I'm running so much for distance and not time is that I want to make sure my body can handle a lot of exercise day after day. At the same time, having a solid strength base seems essential to success during team week so that's not being ignored.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what everyone else is doing. I just try to be really meticulous as I don't really like to waste time once I get in the gym and I'm not gym-smart enough to just wing it.

I won’t go into as much detail as you did, but I follow Pat McNamara’s idea of breaking it down into 4 days, high intensity, minimal time workouts. I have a night job and am responsible for my little girl most days so time is hard to come by. Most of the time they are done at 12-1am when I get off work. Tuesday - power (entire body movements using multiple muscle groups per movement), Wednesday- strength (high weight, minimal reps), Saturday - speed (sprints, supersets) and Sunday - hypertrophy (going to fatigue). Core is done every work out day (quick 100 sit-ups to finish the work out and 1 min planks, including side planks). I’ve had good results so far, taking a rest week every two months or so where I stay active but focus on stretching. I’m not good with running (or not as good as I want to be) so I run 1.5 miles 5 days a week as my warm up with one day for long distance (after workout, still start with the 1.5 mile warm up), stretch and roll daily to prevent getting too sore. I’m older, so stretching a lot is a must

Interesting. I am starting a slow walk to run program to rehab my legs, but before I went to the Navy my work outs were like this:

Monday:
Timed 4 mile run with a minimum time being 30 minutes. Goal time: 25-27 minutes.
Swim 2000 yards w/o fins and 1000 w/fins
Upper Body:
Bench press: 225lbs for 10 til failure sets with a minute rest in between. Goal: 10+ reps each set
Push, wide push, and diamond push rotations - 5 sets.
20-25 for each variant with 1 minute rest in between after all three variants were completed.
Flutterkicks 100 4 count flutter kicks for 10 sets. Rest 2-3 minutes in between.
Situps: 5 2 minute timed sets. Rest: 3 minutes Goal: 75-100 ea.
Planks, side planks, 6 inches:
2 minute rotations on each variant for 2 sets.
Pullups focusing on biceps: 10 sets of 10.

Tuesday: 8-10 mile run under an 8 minute per mile pace.
Swim: 50 yard sprints with max pace for 30 sets. 10 seconds rest in between each set.
Eat a shit ton of food and go play World of Warcraft

Wednesday: LEGS!!!!!!!!!
Run: 800, 600, 400, 200 for 4 sets at max effort sprint pace
Squats/Pull ups: 5x20 reps of ass to grass pause squats with what weight you can handle. W/ Sets of 10-15 reps of pull ups focusing on back muscles in between each squat set.
Lunges/Pull ups: 5x20 with dumbbells. W/ Sets of 10-15 reps of pull ups focusing on back muscles in
between each lunges set.
Core:
Mason Twists
Leg Lifts
Flutter Kicks
Planks

Thursday: Stretch, carb up.
1 hour LSD swim.
1 mile jog to break up acid build up.

Friday:
12-15 miles run at pace that can be managed the whole run.
Sandbag day.

Pretty much an ass kicking sand bag work out to prepare for things like log pt.

Weekends: Light maintenance work and recovery.

Obviously each week varied, but as far as push ups, sit ups, and pull ups I was top 5% of the class. Now running and swimming was a different story. Average at best.

I honestly don't know if my workouts were any good. I had no real guidance or help. Out of the group of guys who were going SOs/SBs in my town it was the dude who barely trained who made it. 6 out of 8 of us were med dropped. One guy quit in boot camp. The guy who made it only ran 5 miles a week at best and he's a pinned SB operator now.

I’m in high school and and I haven’t done anything besides running as I’m pretty skinny at 5,10 @129 and just completed 50 push-ups (strict form) in one minute, I’m mostly worried about rucking and swimming as I’ve done next to none of each

also I’ve been doing around 60 miles a week with a core workout 5times a week I plan on adding some Olympic lifting workouts to my week

Does anyone have experience with Jeff Nichols' programs? I recently completed the 3 phases (Power, strength, speed) and am now working on the Selection based program. The only supplemental work I added on my own is a longer run & ruck each week and extra core work. Just curious if anyone has any experience with his programs, especially if they have been through SFAS/SFQC. Thank you.

I spoke with an Army Infantry officer that just retired and works at my school. He laid out a plan for my running that I have been following. I max out the PT test in pushups and situps, but I am a slow runner. I am a strength athlete and am very explosive, so long distance is not my strong suit. So here is what I am doing. Our coach has us on a strength and conditioning program. So I have to do heavy lifting three days out of the week. Next semester we are doing heavy Snatches, Cleans, Front Squats, and bench press for about six weeks, then it will change and I have no idea what it will be yet. So I run three days a week. First day I run about 25 minutes at whatever pace I am comfortable with. Second run day, I go out on the track and run 200m 4 times, 400m twice, and an 800m at a 13 minute 2 mile pace. These suck pretty bad but I manage to not die. Final day during the week I do a timed 2 mile run, then a 1 mile cool-down. Hopefully this will work. I also bought an elevation mask and I plan to start using it more. If anyone has any ideas or critiques feel free to chime in. That is why I joined this site after all. My main focus is getting that 2 mile down to 13 minutes, which will give me a 300 PT score. But I also have to do it without getting injured because I am doing heavy lifting as well. That is the tricky part.

I spoke with an Army Infantry officer that just retired and works at my school. He laid out a plan for my running that I have been following. I max out the PT test in pushups and situps, but I am a slow runner. I am a strength athlete and am very explosive, so long distance is not my strong suit. So here is what I am doing. Our coach has us on a strength and conditioning program. So I have to do heavy lifting three days out of the week. Next semester we are doing heavy Snatches, Cleans, Front Squats, and bench press for about six weeks, then it will change and I have no idea what it will be yet. So I run three days a week. First day I run about 25 minutes at whatever pace I am comfortable with. Second run day, I go out on the track and run 200m 4 times, 400m twice, and an 800m at a 13 minute 2 mile pace. These suck pretty bad but I manage to not die. Final day during the week I do a timed 2 mile run, then a 1 mile cool-down. Hopefully this will work. I also bought an elevation mask and I plan to start using it more. If anyone has any ideas or critiques feel free to chime in. That is why I joined this site after all. My main focus is getting that 2 mile down to 13 minutes, which will give me a 300 PT score. But I also have to do it without getting injured because I am doing heavy lifting as well. That is the tricky part.

Just my opinion, but this sounds good. My $0.02 though would be to not worry about the training mask. They can't physically simulate higher elevation training. My former strength coach's advice was that instead of using the mask, simply run faster.

Just my opinion, but this sounds good. My $0.02 though would be to not worry about the training mask. They can't physically simulate higher elevation training. My former strength coach's advice was that instead of using the mask, simply run faster.

Unless you have passed SFAS/Q-Course, we don't need to hear your opinion or advice on some one else's training plan.

Stick to posting about your personal progress or goals. Leave the advice to vetted SOF guys.

Unless you have passed SFAS/Q-Course, we don't need to hear your opinion or advice on some one else's training plan.

Stick to posting about your personal progress or goals. Leave the advice to vetted SOF guys.

@hammerthrow1 asked for advice. I wasn't under the impression that fitness related advice could only come from SF members in this thread. My critique wasn't so much an opinion, as it was research-backed scientific fact offered in a polite manner, but I will refrain from posting from now on.

@hammerthrow1 asked for advice. I wasn't under the impression that fitness related advice could only come from SF members in this thread. My critique wasn't so much an opinion, as it was research-backed scientific fact offered in a polite manner, but I will refrain from posting from now on.

When people ask for advice/critiques on this site, they want it from vetted SOF/Mil dudes. If he wanted advice from some random guy on the Internet he could get that from any number of other websites.

Even if your post was based on scientific research (which you didn't link to, you just cited your "former coach's" opinion) I highly doubt that the research is geared towards SFAS prep.

You have no idea what goes on at SFAS, so you shouldn't be posting advice on how to prep for it.

Like I said before, this is a thread for you to post your personal progress, goals, or accomplishments. Leave the rest to us.

Using the 14 Week SFAS Prep by THOR3 Training program. It already feels awesome, I can feel my overall endurance and functional strength growing. The foam rolling and stretching advised in this seems to sincerely help my recovery time.

Changed to "Get Selected" after over a month of the THOR3 prep, my run time is now maxed out for the APFT standards and I can ruck/run farther while learning self maintenance. I have no experience with SFRE/SFAS whatsoever but I am seeing outstanding results from the book's program as opposed to the THOR3.

Last edited:
Who is in Texas preparing for the SFRE's coming up this spring and summer? I'm currently doing everything I can so that when I hit the books for the Texas ARNG, I can perform a high if not perfect APFT and attend the soonest SFRE. Anyone looking for a training partner shoot me a pm.

It may not seem like much, but I wanted to post some progress here. This is the first time I ran more than 2mi since around this time in 2017 (for a myriad of boring reasons). I hear a lot within the SF community writings about “don’t quit”. Sometimes, at least for me, “don’t quit” is a state of being rather than a mindset. I show up for 11c reclass school. Guess what, you have to run 5mi under 45mins. I am unprepared (my fault for jumping into a school two weeks prior). Well, I don’t have another option. I have to pass this reclass school. So you just run and you don't quit. And what do you know, you can do a lot when you place yourself in a position where failure is not available. So this is my current running progress. My goal is to have that time down to 35mins by the end of the year.

Goals
  • Drop 30lbs
  • Faster run time
  • Increased functional fitness

Plans
I can’t get a lot of free time now since I’m on assignment. I’m doing 2-3 P90X3 workouts a day. And running when I can. I’m focusing on core and leg strength to make rucking easier. When I get back and drop my packet then I will be working out with the SF recruiting team. They host a morning PT for prospects to help them get ready for selection. Very grateful for those guys.

I'm packing some decent DD214 weight right now, I'm currently 235 but my "normal" weight is more like 200-205 when I'm in shape so one goal is to get rid of this soft weight. But mostly I'm focused on performance, running is always what gets me. I want to get down to a sub 12 min 2 mile, and sub 40 min 5 mile by August. I'm kind of naturally built for a short sprint type of event i.e. Olympic lifting, powerlifting, sprints, and football, so I know I am going to have to put in some serious work to build up my endurance.

I've tried a few different "selection prep" programs (Jeff Nichols, Soflete, Mountain Tactical Institute, and Thor3 to name a few) and I've found that many of them either have too much weight lifting for me or the rucking is a little excessive as far as risk vs. reward goes. I don't mean to put these programs down or say they aren't good programs, I just know that I don't need to be lifting weight as much as i need to be focusing on running and muscular endurance. With that being said, I am on the fence between Thor3 SFAS prep and Stew Smith's program. If any of you SOF guys could steer me in the right direction or offer some advice, I'd gladly take it and run with it.

I just downloaded the THOR3 program today that is available on the internet in PDF format. I will be starting the 10 weeks tonight when I get out of work. I have been getting in some good rucks and runs up to this point, and participated in a GORUCK Challenge which was a good time. I will update as I get further into the THOR3 program and continue to prepare for the October SFRE.

Here is the link to the PDF: http://specialforcesrecruiter.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/THOR3-10-Week-Program.pdf

Goals:
80 Pushups
80 Sit-ups
13:00 2 Mile
12 Pull-ups
35:00 5-Mile
Sub 2:30 12-Miler

Current:
60 Pushups
65 Sit-ups
15:30 2 Mile
7 Pull-ups
5-Mile unknown, will assess when I return from the border
12-miler unknown, will assess when I return from the border

Been doing UBRR modified since I’m lacking a rope climb out here, this is interpolated by 200 lunges straight + 1 Mile repeats/800m/400m repeats.

Back