FNG

BlackBird

Unverified
FNG stands for Fun New Guy right?

Hello all, I’m honored, privileged, and humbled to be introducing myself here in this community of great people.

I’m 37, non-prior service, and I’m in the process of joining the National Guard, hopefully with a Rep 63 contract. I will post my progress as information becomes available. Currently I am studying to verify my PiCAT, and doing physical training most days of the week, which consists of body weight exercises, ruck and regular runs, and some functional strength training, the intensity of which will increase once I’ve passed my tests and exams at MEPS. Also before Covid19 shut it down I was doing Orienteering at my local Orienteering Club. I also like to learn and I’m looking forward to learning a lot more as time goes on from people who have been there and done that using everything from the search function on this forum, all other forms of media, in person events, and any other way I can find. Thank you. I am very fond of this community and I’m glad to be here. Thank you for all you all have done, are doing, and will do. What a great country we have here.

Sincerely,
all the best,
BlackBird

19th Special Forces Group (A) in UTAH | REP 63 Contract (18X)
Army National Guard

Welcome, and make sure your recruiter is being straight with you before you sign, both resources above appear to have a 35 age hard cut off. Keep the motivation!

Thanks. I will ask him about it the next time I talk to him. He said he checked on it, and afterwards he told me that since I'm having to apply for an age waiver to enlist in the ARNG anyway, that age waiver should be good for the Rep 63 contract. I'll make sure he's crystal clear on that. Basically, because of my age, if my contract doesn't have Rep 63 in it, I'm not signing, unless I talk to someone at group that says do xyz and we'll get you in SFAS. But I'm going to need to get that in writing. My recruiter said he can actually put me in the local SFG under a non-infantry MOS (It would be disappointing not to get to go to Infantry School, but I would get additional skill training in my chosen skillset, hopefully intel, comms, medical, or maybe language) in a support role and I can enter the SF pipeline from there. If I go that route I'm going to make sure to get a paragraph and line number from the group I want in before I sign.

My recruiter said they sent a 41 year old guy to SFAS and as far as he knows he's still in the pipeline. I've also read about other guys over 35 going to SFAS and graduating the Q Course.

So that's two options, either I get Rep 63 in my contract, or a paragraph and line number at a SFG with a non-infantry MOS as a support personnel. I'd like to be an 18F, so if I could somehow sign as a 35F that'd be cool, or even I'm not sure if groups have 35Fs since they have 18Fs. Does anyone know? (That's a bit off topic, but still relevant.) I might just have to be a cook at group. I've been a cook before so I'm good to go there, haha, and hey, free culinary school! I'm not sure how many creme brûlées I'd be making, but still. My recruiter said the local SF group sent a cook to Ranger School because they had slots available and I guess they had to send somebody. Here am I, send me, right after I finish these potatoes! Haha. :ROFLMAO: I'm guessing that guy's a regular badass by now. I wish I could know all things, like where he is now. I think I might give the group a call tomorrow to see what they say about Rep 63 and a paragraph and line number and which MOSs I can expect to sign for.

Thanks for all the comments!

@BlackBird

We use these threads for welcomes and welcomes alone. Don't expect any comments on this most recent post here. If you want a follow on conversation, tag into another thread or start your own. No foul committed. Just an fyi.

Back