Former Army SF new to the forums

Cannon850

Green Beret
Verified SOF
Hello all. Ive decided to create an account with the hopes of helping others that are beginning their path to SOF, and also to help myself in a potential return. I am former Army SF from 1st Grp. I enlisted in the Army in 2011 as a 68W, was assigned to 1ID (Ft Riley, KS), served there for a short time (about 4 months) before going to SFAS and subsequently SFQC and becoming an 18C assigned to 1SFG(A) at JBLM in Washington. I ets'd just over a year ago. I enjoyed my time as a Green Beret and got to do a lot of cool shit, but felt it was time to move on. Now after tossing around different options for the past year, I am looking into a possible return to SOF as an Air Force CCT. I am open to question and will provide my unbiased, unsugar coated opinion on Army SF, and look forward to the same from others in the CCT field.

Welcome!

What made you decide to go the CCT versus PJ or SR route? also are you looking to go active or reserve/guard?

Mod edit - merged your posts

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!

What made you decide to go the CCT versus PJ or SR route? also are you looking to go active or reserve/guard?

Mod edit - merged your posts

Im looking into CCT for the mission set and the opportunity to work with SF and SEAL teams and be part of the fight. I was a medic when I was in the regular army, and while I enjoyed it, it wasn't my passion which I why I didn't consider trying to be a delta when I went SF. To be a medic at the level of 18D or PJ you really have to have a passion for it, its not an easy course by any means. And as for SR, I got a taste of SR while I was in SF and its not really my cup of tea, definitely not something that I would want to specialize in. And I'm looking to go active.

And as for SR, I got a taste of SR while I was in SF and its not really my cup of tea, definitely not something that I would want to specialize in.
would you mind elaborating on this? Im looking at either CCT or SR myself for the guard but I was trying to get a better understanding of the mission set for SR.

would you mind elaborating on this? Im looking at either CCT or SR myself for the guard but I was trying to get a better understanding of the mission set for SR.

As a Green Beret, SR is just one of our many mission sets, so I am by no means an expert on SR, and admittedly I don't know anything about SR in the Air Force. Your question would be better posed to someone with more experience than I. Personally, I just find myself more drawn to the CCT mission.

Back