Getting back to RASP

justus12321

Unverified
So I guess I should start form the beginning. I am a 13f who volunteered for RASP in AIT. I got a chance to go and was able to hold my own until I got med dropped in week 3 for pneumonia. When I first got to my unit I did not mention RASP to anyone, I didnt want to come off as a braggart at my new unit and just kept my head down and did as I was told. I have been here for a year and in many ways it has been a blessing. My team leader has deployed three times and has really gone out of his way to mentor my peers and myself. I am honored to call him a mentor as well as a friend. Also I have made many good friends here within my platoon, and through the past year have had many opportunities to learn within my MOS. For example calling in artillery live fires, mock air assaults, and even working with our battalion FSO for a bit. Overall I am grateful for this experience.
About 4 months ago my team leader asked me out of the blue asked why I never mentioned I went to RASP. I replied that I didn't want to seem like a failure or a shitbag. He asked if I wanted to go back, and I immedeatly lit up and said more than anything in the world. He was supportive of it and we started building a packet. Unfourtunatly about a month and a half ago I dislocated my shoulder bad enough to need surgery. I just finish with the othopedist today and have the repair done on nov. 6. The good news is no metal bits and best of all no medboard. As long as no cosmic anvils fall from on high Ill be able to return to my same level of activity in about 5 month, albeit a bit weaker at first. My question to anyone who might know is if the shoulder repair would preclude me from returning to RASP even if I could keep up physically. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.

As per the reg

AR 40–501 Para 5-3 Para k, sub para:

(2)
Less than full strength and ROM of all joints.
(3)
Loss of any digit from either hand.
(4) Deformity or pain from an old fracture.
(5) Instability of any degree of major joints.
(6) Decreased or poor grasping power in either hand.
(7)
Pain in a weight-bearing joint.
o (3)
Any severe illness, operation, injury, or defect of such a nature or of so recent occurrence as to constitute an undue hazard to the individual.

Disclaimer - Bottom line? I'm not a doc, but I had rotator cuff surgery. So, the following is just advice based on my own personal experience.

Give yourself time to heal properly and don't push it. And keep all your post op PT appointments.

It's an injury that could come back later to bite you in the ass. Do it right the first time and increase your chances of avoiding a redo.

Good luck

<--- not a Ranger; that said, I know things. I know this (from complex shoulder surgery and more than one serious dislocation): shoulders are complex joints, and once injured, they have a higher rate of re-injury. You were in RASP and you have a few miles under your boots, so you know you will be using your shoulders.

I am not advising against RASP. I am advising that if you plan on going, do what @Centermass said: heal, rehab, and on the other side, work on your own with a sports med PT/trainer to get you into game shape. Edited to add, after my last shoulder surgery, it took about 9 months to get to pre-surgery strength and range of motion.

From a medical perspective it will probably take 6 months until you are back to normal so don’t rush it as Centermass stated. Request a nerve block from anesthesia and plan on sleeping in a recliner for a bit. PT is important. The shoulder has a lot more ROM than a knee so it will take time to get back to full strength.

From a medical perspective it will probably take 6 months until you are back to normal so don’t rush it as Centermass stated. Request a nerve block from anesthesia and plan on sleeping in a recliner for a bit. PT is important. The shoulder has a lot more ROM than a knee so it will take time to get back to full strength.

What personal medical experience are you basing this advice on?

Appreciate all the responses. I'd rather be realistic than than overly optimistic. If I temper be my optimism with realism it'll keep me from doing something stupid so I can heal better in the long run.

Appreciate all the responses. I'd rather be realistic than than overly optimistic. If I temper be my optimism with realism it'll keep me from doing something stupid so I can heal better in the long run.

You want truth in advertising? Give yourself a minimum of 9 months post-op; better yet, a year. And after your 'normal' post-op PT and you are cleared, work with someone in sports med for an additional 3-6 months.

Back