Green Flash at Sunset

Dame

Funny you bring this up. I'd heard about it for years and either forgot to look for it or conditions weren't right. Was beginning to think it was a myth or possibly I was looking for the wrong thing. I finally saw it for the first time as well this summer when I was in the Monterrey area. No photo though. Cool that you captured it.đź‘Ť

Last edited:
Not sure if you have to be born near the ocean to have heard of this, but I've waited my whole life to see it. Never did in person. And I watched from the Huntington Beach pier for years. Recently a photographer captured the elusive Green Flash at Sunset. Stuff of Legends. I almost want to put this down as a bright spot at the end of 2020.
View attachment 37287
https://www.accuweather.com/en/space-news/photographer-captures-elusive-green-flash-at-sunset/861125
I will happily accept this as a welcome light at the end of this year's tunnel.

What an outstanding catch!

Lovely!

IIRC, that pic was just recently snapped at Key West. Sunset has quite an audience there in normal times
This one was captured in Hawaii, just this week on December 1, the first day of meteorological winter.
Funny you bring this up. I'd heard about it for years and either forgot to look for it or conditions weren't right. Was beginning to think it was a myth or possibly I was looking for the wrong thing. I finally saw it for the first time as well this summer when I was in the Monterrey area. No photo though. Cool that you captured it.đź‘Ť
Wasn't me. I wish. The link under the picture tells the story.

This one was captured in Hawaii, just this week on December 1, the first day of meteorological winter.

Wasn't me. I wish. The link under the picture tells the story.
Sorry...reading comprehension is clearly not my strength. LOL. Still cool though.

I have never heard of it before this thread! Beautiful sight to see! Now I have something new to read about.
It pops up flittingly in nautical lore. You might remember getting a glimpse of it in Pirates of the Caribbean, too, when they were trying to return from Davy Jones' Locker (it will seem glaringly obvious in the clip now after discussing it).

Back