Guard SF career and a family

bb08

Unverified
This isn't a post about "should I join?" but rather one to learn from other's experiences to help in my decision process.

My wife and I are in the decision process of if/when to pursue the SF pipeline through the guard. I just recently turned 30 and my wife and I have been married almost 9 years and we have 2 kids and one on the way in July.

Our marriage is solid and my wife is very supportive. Since our marriage is so strong, we always look out for each other and our best interests. This is the reason why I am starting this post.

I am curious if there are any of you that were non-prior service and went through the SF pipeline with a family (or am I a major outlier?)? What was your experience like? Your family's experience? Did you PCS your family after selection? Would you do anything different? Any other words of wisdom?

Thank you in advance.

If you get selected, I would recommend PCSing your family to Bragg. The Army will pay for it so it's kind of a no brainier, at least it was for me. When I went through I had down time in between phases, and during MOS and Language I could spend a lot of time with my family. The course is changing this summer, so the amount of down time you will have may change, but I'd still recommend PCSing your family.

Thank you DeadZeppelin. I assume your family lived on post? If so, did that work out ok at Bragg?

Back