Hello

EngiNerd

Unverified
Currently, I'm a 28yo USMC veteran working as a mechanical engineer for the army as a civilian.

As an aside, I highly encourage all veterans looking for employment to check out the US Army Corps of Engineers on USA Jobs. There are opportunities to those with and without degrees. Veteran's preference. Decent pay. Great federal benefits. Voluntary deployment opportunities CONUS and OCONUS (middle east, Germany, ...). Nearly global employment. A great work environment made up of a large percentage of veterans. Reach out to me with any questions.

Back to the topic at hand, my greatest achievement in life so far is earning my BSME from a major university while attaining highest honors with a 3.95 GPA. I'm most proud of that accomplishment because I was never a bookworm (I graduated from high school with a "C" average, and I was enrolled in a handful of remedial courses). Due to prerequisites, it took me 6 years to achieve what some are able to in 4 or less, but I never backed down.

At a young age I had committed to the thought of serving my country, so upon high school graduation I left for USMC bootcamp. I was young, excited, and uninformed when I joined, so I overlooked what I was enlisting as. My goal was to be a combat engineer, but as it turned out, I had enlisted under a "construction utilities" option instead of a specific MOS. I ended up as a Bulk Fueler, 1391 instead of 1371.

I have no regrets about how my 4 year enlistment played out. I was given an opportunity to learn many life lessons, although sometimes they were learned the hard way. My degree is my most proud achievement due to the commitment it required, but my time in service is my most rewarding. I found this site while doing some "googling" about what to specify, or look for, in my contract for NG SF to avoid any more hard earned life lessons.

I hope my intro wasn't too long. If I left anything out and someone wants clarity, or just general questions, please ask. Thank you to those who have created, and those who are a part of, this community. I hope I can give back as much as I take from this resource.

Back