Home Gyms

ShadowSpear

ShadowSpear.com
Administrator
SSMP
SOF Mentor
I saw a few posts in the open mic thread about gym closures and people buying squat racks and so on. What does your home gym look like? What deals have you found?

I broke down and ordered a squat rack two months ago, but am still waiting for a shipping notification. I guess that’s what you get when shipping is free 🙄

I got lucky, I bought a Rogue Half Rack during their 2018 black Friday sale along with a bar, bumper plates, kettle bells, dumb bells, dip bar, and a treadmill.

I signed out some other workout stuff from my team like sand bags, med balls, and a land mine. I also bought some bands and use those a lot.

For guys who don't have a ton of equipment, Pat Mcnamara has a lot of good videos on workouts you can do at home with limited equipment.

I've got a squat rack with an attached pull up bar, a barbell for both my wife and I, some bumper plates, a couple sets of dumbbells, a couple kettlebells, a jump rope, bands, and 1/4, 1/2 and 1 mile marked out in my neighborhood for runs. Only thing I would add would be an assault runner, echo bike, or rower so I can do more interval based training. Those are all a bit expensive though.

I have a 2017 Wahoo Kickr with my road bike attached to it. For awhile I was doing bodyweight workouts with water jugs, but with my run volume it wasn't really giving me the load I needed (needed heavier load and lower reps, not higher reps!).

I've ordered a cheap rack on amazon and am going to get a set of 25s, 45s, and a bar from Grey Man when those 45s hit the site. You don't really need a lot of bumper plates, just probably 25s, 35s, and 45s, and the rest of your weights can be metal ones.

I'll probably also get a concept 2.

Been building my equipment inventory over the years and did up the building this year. I hate commercial gyms so this is perfect for me.

Attachments

• AEC390DA-5BC0-4593-9402-FCA58203C77B.jpeg
    AEC390DA-5BC0-4593-9402-FCA58203C77B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 38
  • F670DB7B-C4C6-4D85-8F83-69EDC6E13A09.jpeg
    F670DB7B-C4C6-4D85-8F83-69EDC6E13A09.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 39
  • 382A7410-EBD4-4747-AC57-76BCE9CE8427.jpeg
    382A7410-EBD4-4747-AC57-76BCE9CE8427.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 39
  • 95BF4FDE-23EA-40B8-9C20-F3DCFCEC7D44.jpeg
    95BF4FDE-23EA-40B8-9C20-F3DCFCEC7D44.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 40
  • 1786AF66-81D4-4EDF-AE21-2363A9B8CF06.jpeg
    1786AF66-81D4-4EDF-AE21-2363A9B8CF06.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
Road bike, mountain bike, pull up bar, 25-50 pound dumbbells, 25/35/53 pound kettlebells, barbell, couple hundred pounds of bumper plates, 24” box, jump rope, heavy bag, and plate carrier with old steel plates.

I do need to buy one of those PRX folding racks.

Interesting arm day equipment. Road bike curls, mountain bike curls, box curls, heavy bag curls.

I dig it. Must really shock the pythons.

This is more or less what I'm trying to get my hands on. I built a pullup bar and have rings, and have a road bike. Just waiting on a squat rack/kb/barbell and weights; then I'll build a deadlift platform.

Last edited:
I'm also considering joining the home gym group later in the year. I'm trying to save up 3-4 grand to be able to spend. Thinking squat rack w/pullup and dip attachment, deadlift/oly platform, bumper plates, adjustable DB's and adjustable bench, power bar and oly bar. Maybe toss in a kettlebell or two. I'll miss cables though.

I'm also considering joining the home gym group later in the year. I'm trying to save up 3-4 grand to be able to spend. Thinking squat rack w/pullup and dip attachment, deadlift/oly platform, bumper plates, adjustable DB's and adjustable bench, power bar and oly bar. Maybe toss in a kettlebell or two. I'll miss cables though.
Cables can had for the home gym

Cables can had for the hone gym

True, but my thinking was that I'd be able to make do without considering the cost of ordering cable towers. If I'm able to settle down somewhere more permanent, I'll definitely be thinking about making that leap in due time.

Interesting army day equipment. Road bike curls, mountain bike curls, box curls, heavy bag curls.

I dig it. Must really shock the pythons.

This is more or less what I'm trying to get my hands on. I built a pullup bar and have rings, and have a road bike. Just waiting on a squat rack/kb/barbell and weights; then I'll build a deadlift platform.

You laugh, but chicks do that in spin class on their spin bikes all the time.

Me, I'm waiting for @Board and Seize to make me a killer deal with his insider discounts for a Beaverfit box...

I've actually been thinking about this. I don't have much SA on the day to day with our Human Performance stuff, but I know we just teamed up with Hammer Strength to do a home-style box, and have other similar consumer stuff in the works that I can't say more about. But, with us moving into the B2C space, and all my SS bois and laydees unable to hit the gym, I plan to see if I can get some kind of special discount code or something. Let me poke around after the . thread dies and we're back at work, and I'll let you all know if I can rustle some kind of deal up.

Back