Hopeful PJ seeking guidance

Medicmanny

Unverified
Currently working in Ukraine (Donbass War)
Thank you to the guys who take the time to read these, and to help us clueless tadpoles out. It's a big pond out there and I can't think of anything I want more than to be a shark in it, to earn a maroon beret and serve amongst the best medics and rescuers in the world.

My Goals: I want to be a PJ for the USAF. Eventually I'd like to earn to opportunity to serve with a more active direct action team or unit.

My Background: I've been a medic for six years. Graduated police academy, with other Tactical courses: TCCC, K9 rescue, PSD & PMC & CT all pending from Horizon and Trojan this year, along with Armoring. Working now in Ukraine as a "Warzone Medic" (we do remote, rescue, tactical, clinical, armored vehicle patrols, etc).

I'm in my first weeks of prep, and have been exercising almost every day to work towards the PAST test. I'm doing something that sucks every day. I'm abysmally far from it at this point, being 5'11" and 200 lbs, barely squeaking by PAST minimums. I want to smash it (20+ pull-ups, not just 12, 100+ sit-ups and push-ups, not just 50 with stop and go effort, etc). I will keep pushing and working but I know that I need a solid workout program to prepare over this next half year to a year, with a nutrition plan that's effective. My ASVAB is high enough for any MOS because I test very well, I'm just very nervous about getting ready physically and also building mental toughness so that I do not quit.

I'm piecing together my prep now from official sources: mostly taking from Mark Divine (SEALFit, Kokoro camp, all his books), as well as numerous books on mental toughness, David Goggins, numerous PJs online who share on YouTube, and official BUDs and military sources.

I work in a war zone, and move everywhere with 45 lb armor and a 50 lb ruck while on patrol to harden my bones and shoulders. Then I run 1.5 miles daily (currently unweighted), and I supplement with protein and Animal Packs daily, rest 7-8 hrs, limit myself to 2000 calories, stretch my calves and work accessory muscles to prevent Shin splints. I do pull-ups, sit-ups, and pushups almost daily (resting as needed). No way of swimming out here, which I will have to figure out in the coming months. I'm planning a Kokoro camp with SEALFit before entering selection.

I'm reading, and/or will read: The Way of the Seal, AntiFragile, Unbeatable Mind, An Astronauts Guide to Life on Earth, Hero of the Empire, River of Doubt, The Champions Mind, With Winning in Mind, The Ranger Handbook, and How to Win Friends and Influence People.
I've already read On Combat (Lt. Col. Grossman), and Radical Ownership (Jocko Willink).

Thank you to the guys who take the time to read these, and to help us clueless tadpoles out. It's a big pond out there and I can't think of anything I want more than to be a shark in it, to earn a maroon beret and serve amongst the best medics and rescuers in the world.

My Goals: I want to be a PJ for the USAF. Eventually I'd like to earn to opportunity to serve with a more active direct action team or unit.

My Background: I've been a medic for six years. Graduated police academy, with other Tactical courses: TCCC, K9 rescue, PSD & PMC & CT all pending from Horizon and Trojan this year, along with Armoring. Working now in Ukraine as a "Warzone Medic" (we do remote, rescue, tactical, clinical, armored vehicle patrols, etc).

I'm in my first weeks of prep, and have been exercising almost every day to work towards the PAST test. I'm doing something that sucks every day. I'm abysmally far from it at this point, being 5'11" and 200 lbs, barely squeaking by PAST minimums. I want to smash it (20+ pull-ups, not just 12, 100+ sit-ups and push-ups, not just 50 with stop and go effort, etc). I will keep pushing and working but I know that I need a solid workout program to prepare over this next half year to a year, with a nutrition plan that's effective. My ASVAB is high enough for any MOS because I test very well, I'm just very nervous about getting ready physically and also building mental toughness so that I do not quit.

I'm piecing together my prep now from official sources: mostly taking from Mark Divine (SEALFit, Kokoro camp, all his books), as well as numerous books on mental toughness, David Goggins, numerous PJs online who share on YouTube, and official BUDs and military sources.

I work in a war zone, and move everywhere with 45 lb armor and a 50 lb ruck while on patrol to harden my bones and shoulders. Then I run 1.5 miles daily (currently unweighted), and I supplement with protein and Animal Packs daily, rest 7-8 hrs, limit myself to 2000 calories, stretch my calves and work accessory muscles to prevent Shin splints. I do pull-ups, sit-ups, and pushups almost daily (resting as needed). No way of swimming out here, which I will have to figure out in the coming months. I'm planning a Kokoro camp with SEALFit before entering selection.

I'm reading, and/or will read: The Way of the Seal, AntiFragile, Unbeatable Mind, An Astronauts Guide to Life on Earth, Hero of the Empire, River of Doubt, The Champions Mind, With Winning in Mind, The Ranger Handbook, and How to Win Friends and Influence People.
I've already read On Combat (Lt. Col. Grossman), and Radical Ownership (Jocko Willink).
I don't know, wouldn't a few books on Para-Rescue be good?
Maybe peruse the AFSOC recruitment sites to see what they are looking for?

Back