House speaker vote

You’re right. However, our “elected officials” haven’t bothered to listen to what their constituents want for a looooong time.

True, changed a bit with Trump though. If you didn't listen to Trump, your constituents may just put you back on the block. See Liz Chaney.

I think that dynamic is fading some but its not gone yet in deep red states/ districts.

Haven’t fact checked this yet, but I heard a podcast that claimed you don’t have to be elected to Congress to be elected Speaker of the House. Sounds weird to me but I can think of some pretty interesting choices if it is true. ;)
Article 1, Section 2 of the Constitution states that the the House will select the speaker, listing no other requirements for the office..."The House of Representatives shall choose their Speaker and other Officers; ".

Haven’t fact checked this yet, but I heard a podcast that claimed you don’t have to be elected to Congress to be elected Speaker of the House. Sounds weird to me but I can think of some pretty interesting choices if it is true. ;)

This is true. Even prior to this, there was some chatter about just nominating Trump to the position.

There's even currently been (some small) chatter about trying to nominate somebody like Liz Cheney to see if the never Trumpers/centerline dems could form a coalition to elect her.

This is true. Even prior to this, there was some chatter about just nominating Trump to the position.

There's even currently been (some small) chatter about trying to nominate somebody like Liz Cheney to see if the never Trumpers/centerline dems could form a coalition to elect her.
IMO she is irrevocably tainted and stopped being a Republican a long time ago. It wouldn't surprise me if she followed Tulsi Gabbard's lead and switched parties. Any (R) in a remotely-not-completely-secure district would run the very real risk of getting, like Cheney, primaried if they tried to get her in the Speaker's chair. But yeah, the nomination process sure would be interesting! ;)

Article 1, Section 2 of the Constitution states that the the House will select the speaker, listing no other requirements for the office..."The House of Representatives shall choose their Speaker and other Officers; ".

MUSK

Congress is so broken you could take 16 homeless guys and the winner of the Bumfights Bracket is the Speaker and that can't be worse than some other options.

Give me full idiocracy style government.

We still elect reps, then a Pride style bracket to determine government positions.

Winner is President, second is vice, so on and so on.

Anyone who doesn't fight is just a basic rep/senator without committee leadership.

That or bring back duels. They can use beanbags so it's less likely to be killing people.

While the Constitution is rather vague on who may be elected Speaker, given that person's place in the order of succession, it seems Article II should be considered..."No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President"...

Trying really hard not to read about why this McCarthy guy didn't get voted in as Speaker, I read that it's making our country "look bad"... Who on God's Green Earth are we supposed to be worried about looking bad to?

You think The Bahamas cares who gets voted speaker?

While the Constitution is rather vague on who may be elected Speaker, given that person's place in the order of succession, it seems Article II should be considered..."No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President"...

I hear you, but we don't have that requirement for the President pro tempore of the Senate, the SecState, nor the rest of the cabinet. They just get skipped over.

Today is 6 January.
Headlines are all about the speaker vote, and I haven't seen shit about 6 January 2021.

McCarthy has solid RINO stink, and pre-election was down playing any Biden related investigations or impeachment.

I think the rebels are trying to make sure he doesn't go Paul Ryan on them.

Today is 6 January.
Headlines are all about the speaker vote, and I haven't seen shit about 6 January 2021.

McCarthy has solid RINO stink, and pre-election was down playing any Biden related investigations or impeachment.

I think the rebels are trying to make sure he doesn't go Paul Ryan on them.

Today is the fifth, I'm sure we'll hear about the "treasonous nature" that day was, tomorrow. Like the fucking cock roaches in senate and congress, not to mention the whole of DC are not seditious cunts, themselves, that 99 percent need tar, feathering and liberty tree treatment....

Today is the fifth, I'm sure we'll hear about the "treasonous nature" that day was, tomorrow. Like the fucking cock roaches in senate and congress, not to mention the whole of DC are not seditious cunts, themselves, that 99 percent need tar, feathering and liberty tree treatment....

I'm not going to go as far as saying 99% but it amazes me that some of these people keep getting reelected. Its hard for me to believe that elections are not rigged when some of these crooks keep getting reelected. So of course they'd call you a traitor if you questioned election outcomes.

Oops, let's see what happens tomorrow.
I think he gets it tomorrow, because they don't want to work on Saturday.

11 votes with no solution. Even if #12 is the charm he looks weak as hell. How do you keep trotting this guy out and how do you not look like a bunch of imbeciles?

Maybe it is in this thread and I’m just missing it, but I keep reading about him “negotiating”.

What do they mean by that? Is he literally buying votes? I don’t understand.

Back