X

One of the first things I did when I took over my support det. was to sit my guys down and explain the structure of an SF Group, SF BN, Spt. Co., and how they fit into the grand scheme of things.

No one had done that before.

I think letting support guys know where they stand in relation to the big picture is invaluable. You start to build some "buy in" once your soldiers see how their puzzle pieces fit.

One of the first things I did when I took over my support det. was to sit my guys down and explain the structure of an SF Group, SF BN, Spt. Co., and how they fit into the grand scheme of things.

No one had done that before.

I think letting support guys know where they stand in relation to the big picture is invaluable. You start to build some "buy in" once your soldiers see how their puzzle pieces fit.

I'm actually happy you brought this up, because I've had to do that before with my own Soldiers for previous units. I gave a 20 minute class the other day to some hold overs who graduated AIT and it dawned on me that during the course we never even taught them the layout of a BCT, even though the entire scenario for the course is as an ABCT S2.

I also had to do a similar brief for some AFRICOM personnel to explain white SOF and Task Force (as appropriate) and all the entities in our AO that we supported, because most of them didn't have a clue.

I think a lot of the problems @Marauder06 explained would be fixed if either A) SF ran some kind of screener/assessment for it's support. Or B) Being an enabler in an SF Group wasn't an option straight out of AIT.

As a guy who started as Group Support and is now an SF guy, Mara is spot on.

I also think advocacy from SF leadership would help BUT after 20 years of war, many solders have had mixed SOT-A/B experiences with intel soldiers having an inconsistent range of MOS capability as well as intestinal fortitude.

A gut check like RASP would really help professionalize the force of support soldiers.

I also think advocacy from SF leadership would help BUT after 20 years of war, many solders have had mixed SOT-A/B experiences with intel soldiers having an inconsistent range of MOS capability as well as intestinal fortitude.

A gut check like RASP would really help professionalize the force of support soldiers.
Yep. If only someone would develop an assessment, selection, and training program for SF enablers... something almost every other ARSOF unit has figured out how to do...

Back