Introduction - Seeking Advice

Moto22

Unverified
First, thank you for taking the time to read my thread and providing your experiences/advice.

My name is Mike, I am 28 years old, girlfriend - no kids. I recently graduated college with a BBA in Finance (3.1 GPA) as well as two associate degrees in skilled trades. Anyway, I have always thought about joining the military. When I was 18 I tried to enlist in the navy but I felt like my recruiter gave me the run-around with my contract so I walked away and went to school. I came back to a recruiter when I was 21 to enlist in the army, during the process of getting my paperwork together, I got an OWI. The recruiter shredded everything, all my med-docs, birth cert, and ss card.

I continued to stay in school and work. At 26, I went back to the recruiting station. I got all my paperwork together again, went to MEPS, and submitted my criminal waiver. After all that, my waiver got denied. So I just decided to pursue my bachelors and I held on to all my paperwork. I started talking to a recruiter again and gave him my packet with all the paperwork.

So my question is should start my civilian career or enlist army as E4? He said OCS is off the table because I require a moral waiver but he could get me a 11x option 40 or 18x contract. Part of me really wants to join and part of me is nervous about it, mostly because of the unknown. If you have served in the military, any advice and personal experiences is really appreciated. Thanks.

side note: I have about 22k in student loans and I would possibly like to go back to school for an MBA. I really like the idea of paying off my debt within a few years while serving and also receive the GI/Post 911 bill. Any thoughts?

Welcome and best of success to you!

If you have not done so yet, please be sure to read the thread titled, "A Protocol Primer for ShadowSpear" at the top of the Introductions Forum.

As an FYI - the welcome threads are for “intros and welcomes” only.

You will need to begin a separate thread in the correct section of the forum for any questions.

Back