Introduction

revtach

Unverified
Hello,

I am a 30 year old civilian. I have my BS degree and work in healthcare.

I got in a lot of trouble when I was younger. My living situation was bad and I made a lot of poor choices. I have straightened myself out, however, and have not had any problems for the last 8 years. I do have an arrest record though and it is not pretty.

For the last 5 years I have been applying to the Air Force/Air National Guard/Marines/Navy to become a pilot. I have sent out about 30 applications to Air National Guard squadrons alone. Each of my attempts, for every branch, was met with failure due to concerns with my arrest record. I applied to each branch until I hit their respective age limits. In the mean time, I have progressed through flight training through civilian schools and am content with flying as a hobby and perhaps one day I will make a career change to become a professional pilot.

The desire to serve in the military has not subsided even though the pilot ambitions did not work out. I have explored alternative options and was thrilled to discover the opportunities as a "ground pounder" in the Army. Both the Ranger Regiment and Special Forces Groups I find to just as, or even more, exciting as the opportunity to support ground troops as a pilot. After reviewing the mission sets and focuses of each Special Operations branch, I have decided to now set my goal of becoming a Green Beret. If anyone were to ask for my reasons, then I can certainly expand on them but it might be too much for just an introductory post.

I will be using this website as a resource to get suggestions on how it might be best for someone like me to proceed given the nature of my background. I appreciate the people who got this site up and running in the first place and the active SF members who post here regularly helping the applicants out.

Back