Issues with option 40 with COVID

Jethro75

Unverified
Hello everyone, I couldn’t find anything that covered this recently so I decided to ask. I’m having issues with getting an option 40. I brought my dad to the recruiters office when I went because he would just give em the killer eyes and that basically told the recruiter to skip the theatrics. He’s a retired sf guy so I thought it would be smart to listen to him about how to go about this obviously. They told me at first that they’re out Bc of how COVID slows all the schools down so I said I’m willing to wait as my father suggested. Then after I confirm my asvab score Bc I red flagged Bc I jumped 20 or more points from the practice test, which they really should tell you to take serious because it decides your base line and if you need to verify (retake the test completely in person at meps) your score. Thankfully I did better than the first time my GT: 123 afqt : 89 which my recruiter was really excited about which made me think he had something lined up. Wrong, actually the options got worse. The rules have changed for option 40 as it’s no longer available, because so many dudes would take it just for the airborne slot and then pussy out before rasp so now you can only work for it in basic? Is this true? I could also be assigned as an 11c which i don’t know if it’s any different but I want to be 11b anyways, and better yet they’re out of those contracts too! How are you out of the most basic infantry contract ? Why is this such a cluster fuck?

Option 40 availability comes and goes, regardless of CV-19. Sure, it may have slowed things down, but a lack of available Option 40 contracts is nothing new and hasn't been for about a decade plus.

I’m more interested in if what the recruiter said about the only way to get it right now is to go in as an 11x, kill basic to get a conversation with a ranger about getting a slot at rasp is true. I don’t know if anyone has any recent experience with this way, and yes I’m training by running twice a week one 5 mile and one 2, and on the other two week days I’m rucking 5 miles with 60 lbs, is this enough?

I’m more interested in if what the recruiter said about the only way to get it right now is to go in as an 11x, kill basic to get a conversation with a ranger about getting a slot at rasp is true.

Has it happened? Most assuredly. Will it happen when you go in? No idea.

Wait for your contract or pay your money and take your chances.

I’m more interested in if what the recruiter said about the only way to get it right now is to go in as an 11x, kill basic to get a conversation with a ranger about getting a slot at rasp is true. I don’t know if anyone has any recent experience with this way, and yes I’m training by running twice a week one 5 mile and one 2, and on the other two week days I’m rucking 5 miles with 60 lbs, is this enough?
Contact the Ranger liaison at Benning. According to the Ranger Recruiting Page, everyone at infantry OSUT will get the opportunity to volunteer for RASP. This didn’t use to be the case, but according to the Ranger Recruiting Page they are looking more and more into guys who are high performers in OSUT.

Contact the Ranger liaison at Benning. According to the Ranger Recruiting Page, everyone at infantry OSUT will get the opportunity to volunteer for RASP. This didn’t use to be the case, but according to the Ranger Recruiting Page they are looking more and more into guys who are high performers in OSUT.
Like Kalgan said would you mind sending the link that would be great help for me to gather more info on this entire topic.

This is almost identical to my son’s experience. He goes to MEPS on Monday. I went with him for his initial contact with the recruiter. I am prior Navy, now working for the Army (He will be 4th generation to serve). He just did his PICAT yesterday at 84 and 120 GT. No option 40s on 11x, some out there for specific other MOS the regiment wants to fill. Option 40s from the regiment are being reduced. The on-site OSUT recruiting puts the selection of the quality of soldier attending RASP in the regiment’s hands. If you are close to the last week of OSUT and you have not been given the chance to volunteer for RASP reach out to the 75thRangerRecruiter account on Reddit, 75th_Ranger_Recruiting on Instagram, or email at 75recruit@socom.mil. Give the process a chance to work and look for them at OSUT. DO NOT start bugging them now. If your ship date is the beginning of January you will probably be in the same OSUT class as my son. He is finishing college classes before he goes and will be volunteering for RASP at OSUT. If you go to Benning’s public facing website and use the search function you can find a 12 week RASP lead up training plan that includes ruck recommendations to help get ready. It is available to the public (no CAC needed). Link up with like minded individuals at OSUT and train to be ready for RASP.

Back