IT Navy Reserves (or any IW community rates) to Army SF

DELCO

Comms
Verified Military
This is a move heaven and earth path but it is exactly what you have to do to get an 18x contract that will allow you to attempt for Army SF. Because you are in the Information dominance community you will need to take extra steps than the average sailor. Here are the steps.

1. Make sure you meet the requirements for Army SF then let your chain of command know your desire for switching branches to go Army SF. This can be done during your Career Development Board(CDB) or through request for counseling.

2. Once you have the backing of leadership, go see an army recruiter and let him know your situation in the Navy and get him to sign a DD368 Conditional Release ( This is going to be what allows you to leave the Navy Reserves on the condition you get a contract with the army).

3. There are now 3 letters of endorsement you will need: One from your unit CO, NOSC CO, and your Region. You will need to draft a letter to your CO with letterhead requesting his endorsement. Make sure you put it in a routing folder along with your DD368 signed by you and your Army recruiter. You can get the unit yeoman to help you draft one or use a template. After Unit CO endorsement it should be routed to your NOSC CO by your Career Counselor (NC). After NOSC CO approval it will be routed to your IW Region Command (also should be done by NC). If approved by region, it will go to headquarters (CNIFR). If approved it then goes to NAVEPERS for the final approval.

*As you can see a lot of routing happens. DO NOT expect it to be routed automatically. You will need to track down the movement of your release and endorsements at each step and make sure it is not sitting in anyone’s inbox. In my case I had to push it at EVERY point. Other rates do not go through the same process we do so your NC may think all you need is an endorsement from your Unit CO and your NOSC CO. NAVPERS will DENY your request if they receive such a packet.

4. Once NAVPERS approves your request they will sign on your DD368 saying you have until a certain date to get picked up by the Army. As of right now it is 6 months. The DD368 will most likely be sent back to the sender which may be your NC. You can call them to check the status of your release and where it was sent if approved. Return to your recruiter with the fully signed DD368 and begin the process for getting to MEPS.

5. At MEPS make sure you get an 18x contract. Currently they are taking prior service E5 and below. I’m speaking this from my experience. A pay grade determination will be made by the Army before you go to MEPS. It could be that my prior experience, evals, and the Army schools I’ve been to allowed me to get 18x with E5 or it could be that the Army was feeling generous who knows. It is not guaranteed.

*The recruiter may ask you for orders of your promotion to send in for pay grade determination. Let him or her know that the Navy does not give orders for promotion but frocking letters and promotion evals along with an update on our Member Data Summary (which you can find at BOL under your OMPF). If they keep asking for it like they did me. Get the Navy recruiters next door to let them know. If not when you get to MEPS they’ll take care of it.

*This is my profile
IT, Navy 4yrActive then 2yr Reserve
28yrs old
Airborne Qual
Prior services wondering about repeating Airborne...On my Reservation sheet it says that I will need to which they will not change at MEPS. After some phone calls from my Army liaison at MEPS, I was told I will not have to repeat Airborne, to show my certificate and jump log once I get to FT Benning. I’ll confirm it once I get cleared to not repeat or get told to repeat when I’m over there. Any questions feel free to contact me.

Wow, how timely. I have been out of the Navy/Navy Reserve for a while now, and I had a colleague still in the Navy Reserve ask me how to do this (like I freaking knew...). I will print this and give it to him.

Ironically, my nephew is in the Army Reserve in Texas, trying to do the reverse: get out of the Army Reserve to join the Navy Reserve as an intel DCO.

Wow, how timely. I have been out of the Navy/Navy Reserve for a while now, and I had a colleague still in the Navy Reserve ask me how to do this (like I freaking knew...). I will print this and give it to him.

Ironically, my nephew is in the Army Reserve in Texas, trying to do the reverse: get out of the Army Reserve to join the Navy Reserve as an intel DCO.

Awesome. If your colleague is not in an information warfare rate then he will only need letters of endorsement from his unit CO, NOSC CO, and DD368 signed by him and his recruiter. The NC will send that out to NAVPERS for release. Everything else in the thread will apply.

@DELCO

Typically we prefer that only vetted members give such advice, it gives your information more credibility. That said, thanks for sharing your journey through the paperwork gantlet.

Has your quest been completed, do you now possess the 18X contract you are seeking?

@DELCO

Typically we prefer that only vetted members give such advice, it gives your information more credibility. That said, thanks for sharing your journey through the paperwork gantlet.

Has your quest been completed, do you now possess the 18X contract you are seeking?
Roger. I will wait then until the vetting process is done before I post any more advice . I sent in my DD214 with SS blacked out through my .mil account. Not sure if you guys are still accepting vetting requests that way.

No its not the contract yet from my understanding what I got is a Reservation for an 18x contract and all the schools involved in the contract as an E5 and will be able to sign the contract and swear in on my ship date being that I remain qualified when I return to MEPS (March 13, 2018 is the ship date). I also signed a document called "Regular Army Enlistment Delay for Applicants With Prior Service or an Existing Military Service Obligation". They told me as long as I stay out of trouble and pass the security background check I'll be good to go. I currently hold a clearance through the Navy so I'm hoping that it will help when they determine eligibility for that part. Let me know if there's anything else I need to do in my part for the vetting process.

Roger. I will wait then until the vetting process is done before I post any more advice . I sent in my DD214 with SS blacked out through my .mil account. Not sure if you guys are still accepting vetting requests that way.

No its not the contract yet from my understanding what I got is a Reservation for an 18x contract and all the schools involved in the contract as an E5 and will be able to sign the contract and swear in on my ship date being that I remain qualified when I return to MEPS (March 13, 2018 is the ship date). I also signed a document called "Regular Army Enlistment Delay for Applicants With Prior Service or an Existing Military Service Obligation". They told me as long as I stay out of trouble and pass the security background check I'll be good to go. I currently hold a clearance through the Navy so I'm hoping that it will help when they determine eligibility for that part. Let me know if there's anything else I need to do in my part for the vetting process.

This is a phenomenal post. I wish I had this information when I went through the same process as you did. Thankfully, a local Army recruiter helped me figure it out. However, I do have one question: are you going to all of OSUT?

This is a phenomenal post. I wish I had this information when I went through the same process as you did. Thankfully, a local Army recruiter helped me figure it out. However, I do have one question: are you going to all of OSUT?
Yes according to the training schedule on the signed paperwork I got for Special Forces Recruit(18x). I'm not too sure what the whole dynamics are as far as the training reads...

- Admin Edit -

Not too familiar with this format either. Where it says OSUT I'm guessing is what's supposed to be airborne, and the 14 week I'm assuming is OSUT not too sure what the 5 week 3 day is. This is something someone can clarify me on. I'm not too worried with having to do all of OSUT. I have no infantry experience. And in the event all goes wrong for me at Selection and I get sent into Big Army as an 11b as an E5 I would like to have gone through all of it. I enjoyed my time in the Navy and love it's culture, the basic training is what instilled it in me. Army has its own and it's going to be adopting me and I it, so blessings in disguise is what I'm calling these scheduled trainings. I think anyone who is trying to pursue any special forces job and gets the contract should just be happy and sure that they got a guaranteed shot at selection and just stay prepared. That's where I'm at right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
@DELCO

I’m sitting here watching The Voice and I was obsessing over the “dates/locations” you provided. Maybe it’s all public info, but my OPSEC flags were buzzing.

Another Mod or Admin can overrule me and I’ll be fine.

@DELCO

I’m sitting here watching The Voice and I was obsessing over the “dates/locations” you provided. Maybe it’s all public info, but my OPSEC flags were buzzing.

Another Mod or Admin can overrule me and I’ll be fine.
I'm going to have to agree with you. Probably shouldn't have posted anything with dates. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for catching me on that.

Good call @Ooh-Rah. I don't know how things are in various services, and this is a bit ironic coming from NSW, but I knew a guy who got dropped from BUD/S for OPSEC violations after posting class dates on Facebook. We were briefed on it during the TACP pipeline as well, but I never heard of anyone being dropped for it.

Back