Joining soon. MOS thoughts?

Rogueyellow

Unverified
I’m in the process of joining and I have an idea of what I wanna do but I’d love to have some input from some people that have more experience than I do. I won’t say what I’m interested in yet to keep it unbiased, but I don’t really wanna be a desk jockey...
That being said what are some MOSs that you guys would recommend? I’m not against a 20+ year career but what I’m looking for is making sure my family and I are taken care of. I don’t want an MOS that doesn’t translate over to the civilian world well.

I’m in the process of joining and I have an idea of what I wanna do but I’d love to have some input from some people that have more experience than I do. I won’t say what I’m interested in yet to keep it unbiased, but I don’t really wanna be a desk jockey...
That being said what are some MOSs that you guys would recommend? I’m not against a 20+ year career but what I’m looking for is making sure my family and I are taken care of. I don’t want an MOS that doesn’t translate over to the civilian world well.

You are not a private.

You are not an XRay.

You did not post an intro thread.

Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Request a new name here:
https://shadowspear.com/vb/form/change-username.7/select

Post your intro thread here:
Introductions

Read all of this to understand where you went wrong:
Help

Recover, send me a PM, and I will reopoen your thread.

Last edited:
I don’t really wanna be a desk jockey...
I don’t want an MOS that doesn’t translate over to the civilian world well.

While these two aren't mutually exclusive, you've really narrowed your options. A handful of 25 series in certain units, Engineers (12-series, most of which are not in SOF, but the 75th has a few), EOD...I'm sure there are outliers, but at some point most of the jobs you want will end up in an office.

This question is just intellectual masturbation.

I can tell you which MOSs I hold and why, but I’m not you. My reasons may not apply to you.

None of us know you, and you’re deliberately withholding necessary information, thus hampering any effort to form a cogent response.

However, if you’re looking for something that’s not an office job and translates directly into a civilian career I suggest 92G.

Last edited:
It really simple. It doesn’t have to be anything that thought provoking. I just wanted to hear what MOSs people were interested in.

You want a job that's not a desk job and translates well to the civilian world?

Anything medical or anything mechanical/electrical/powerplant come to mind quickly. And 92G of course.

If you want something in a special operations tempo that translates to the civilian world, there's not much...

LL

#1, life has a way of working itself out,
#2, military service prepares you to serve your country, it's up to you to figure out how to apply military experience into a life after the military.
For example, I was a kid that wanted to be an architect, enlisted to be a combat engineer, found blowing things up was more fun than vector calculus, cross trained as a heavy weapons infantryman, then went SF, OCS and retired to begin a second career as a land surveyor...I'm glad I'm not one of those guys with a story, you know, I woulda been SF but....

If you want to serve, enlist. Do what you're best suited while you're in and figure out what you want to do after your time in service when you have time...a lot of folks don't understand that pacing areas for helicopter landing zones, adjusting artillery/mortar fire, or land navigation can lead to a six-figure income after military service ends, but, speaking from experience,it can. Depends on you.

Last edited:
Back