joining the military with a medical waiver

bleucheese91

Unverified
I'm currently working full time as a private, unarmed security guard in a corporate setting. I'm also taking college classes for pre nursing, I would like to work in pediatrics someday but would take any nursing job. I've never been in the military but I would like to be if at all possible. The big if here is medical issues. I don't know when ill be ready to start talking with a recruiter but I figured I would start doing my research early on. To increase my chances for a waiver, I'm looking into joining an organization such as the Civil Air Patrol, a county search and rescue org., the Washington state guard or doing a martial art. Which one of these do you recommend and why? Do you have any experience with any of these organizations? I'm taking any and all advice. The branch I would like to join is the Army. I have also emailed the contact for a local university's Army ROTC program. I was in Air Force JROTC for about a year while in high school.
Have a great day! :D

You're going to take a beating, but you aren't alone because we see this too often.

- You need a medical waiver, want to know if it is possible, but don't share the details. This looks sketchy as hell. Don't want to share your issues? Totally understandable. Just don't ask for help if you aren't willing to give up the ENTIRE story.
- Did you consult the Army's medical standards? We have a link on this board.
- The mil, generally speaking, won't look at other activities when it comes to a waiver. Some things may give you som rank upon enlisting, but your extracurricular activities don't matter unless something has recently changed.
- Do you want to be enlisted or an officer? The former means you shouldn't bother with ROTC. The latter means you need to also brush up on what it takes to commission.
- If this thread goes sideways, just know that we don't delete threads or user accounts.
- Medical waivers are granted every day, but based on a range of factors. See point #1 above.

Good luck.

I'm currently working full time as a private, unarmed security guard in a corporate setting. I'm also taking college classes for pre nursing, I would like to work in pediatrics someday but would take any nursing job. I've never been in the military but I would like to be if at all possible. The big if here is medical issues. I don't know when ill be ready to start talking with a recruiter but I figured I would start doing my research early on. To increase my chances for a waiver, I'm looking into joining an organization such as the Civil Air Patrol, a county search and rescue org., the Washington state guard or doing a martial art. Which one of these do you recommend and why? Do you have any experience with any of these organizations? I'm taking any and all advice. The branch I would like to join is the Army. I have also emailed the contact for a local university's Army ROTC program. I was in Air Force JROTC for about a year while in high school.
Have a great day! :D

I second everything said above.

Now for the obvious questions. If you're healthy enough to do SAR, the WA State Guard, or start taking ninja lessons what exactly is it you need a waiver for? Following close behind that question is why do you think any of those things will have an effect on a medical fitness determination or a waiver decision?

You were in JROTC, so you have a clue about military procedures. You should have the ability to answer these questions yourself i.e. do the research yourself.

If you're considering becoming an officer--a leader--this is not a good start.

Having said all that, get your pre-requisites done and complete your BSN. Note I said BSN and not ADN; appending RN after your name isn't enough. The Army Nurse Corps is a good place to be, but you're at least 5 years away from even being a candidate.

Last edited:
Back