Land Navigation and Comas

Reminds me of one of those stories where high school football players shove broomsticks up another players ass as a “prank”.

I won't even quote it,
The final paragraph caught my attention.

Lawrence said all classes are now taught by two instructors — instead of a solo SEAL — to provide “an additional layer of integrity to ensure policy is followed.”

hmmm....that’s the new Navy definition of integrity? “What you do when one other person is watching”?

hmmm....that’s the new Navy definition of integrity? “What you do when one other person is watching”?
And here I thought one of the core concepts of integrity is what you do when no one is watching...

This incident is not going to get any attention from the crowd who believe Special Operations = "those who can do anything and need no rules."

LL

I’m also disturbed by the kind of teammate who would initiate a situation wherein he would then slap the shit out of one of his fellow candidates so hard he would knock him out.

Then again, at what was probably the last officially sanctioned West Point pillow fight ever, casts were putting helmets and lock boxes in their pillow cases and hitting their peers with them.

People do dumb shit when they are given the slightest opportunity.

Last edited:
The people involved who lied to save their skin should be fired from their position. The student who reared back the slap to actually hurt the other student should have consequences aswell. You don’t accidentally knock someone out while slap-boxing.

You don’t accidentally knock someone out while slap-boxing.
Did you read the article?

He was not knocked out by being slapped (and they were not slap-boxing)....

“It was pretty hard slap, but there was no attempt to seriously hurt him,” the challenger added. “It was two men standing up on stage just trying to get it over with.”

The slapped student stumbled. The sound of his head smacking the tiles of the concrete stage echoed through the classroom.

“(The student’s) skull strikes the stage with enough force to make an audible noise, causing many students who were not paying attention to the scene to look up from their maps and compass work,” the investigator wrote.

The man who lost the bet began to bleed out of his ear.

"an additional layer of integrity"

It breaks down like this...

First, you have to spray a nice think base layer of primer to cover all of the rust
THEN you add a light layer of integrity to cover all the primer that was used to cover all of the rust
Then you add "an additional layer of integrity" to make sure everything looks good...
Finally, you add a top coat of polyurethane integrity to make it really shine.

I mean we did a ton of dumb shit that was way worse in Basic, infantry AIT, RASP, SURT, Ranger school (especially as a BRC recycle), and even at Batt... so I do kinda “get it” but when your rep is already bad you can’t be doing this shit. I think the difference between Regiment and the teams is that when something bad happens, our own leadership comes down on us.

Guy gets caught with a gun at the gate? Health and wellness inspection, 10+ Article 15s handed out. Mortars tab plays Russian roulette with his private? Health and wellness, everyone moves barracks rooms, and he gets attempted murder chargers. They throw the book at us when we go too wild. It sucks but it’s not the wrong thing to do. I don’t see NSW doing this.

The worst part, to me, is this:

"The senior medical officer at the scene later told investigators she couldn’t get a straight answer from the instructor or other sailors about what happened. At first, they told her he was just talking and fell, but that excuse segued into something about “playing around.”'

Lying through your teeth is apparently default SOP at NSW in the wake of any "incident." Maybe SEAL TTP should include a course in generic excuses...because the ones they've been coming up with lately need work.

Last edited:
The worst part, to me, is this:
"The senior medical officer at the scene later told investigators she couldn’t get a straight answer from the instructor or other sailors about what happened. At first, they told her he was just talking and fell, but that excuse segued into something about “playing around.”'

That is why you have to have an additional layer of integrity - why would anyone settle for one layer of integrity when an additional layer of integrity is available.

That medical officer should be ashamed for not accepting the base layer of integrity - we've ALL been there -
hanging out, just standing around talking and BAM - out of nowhere someone just falls the fuck over and bashes their head on the floor.

I think the medical officer has trust issues left over from a rough childhood.

That is why you have to have an additional layer of integrity - why would anyone settle for one layer of integrity when an additional layer of integrity is available.
Little did you know...there are SEVEN layers of integrity! And when you think about it....all 7 can find a home in recent NSW stories.....

1570470894685.png

I think the medical officer has trust issues left over from a rough childhood.

I concur, why would someone from NSW EVER lie or embellish a story??? Full blame should be put on the medical officer!

Back