Review Level Zero Heroes

dmcgill

Infantry Marine
Verified Military
I've never awaited/anticipated the release of a book for as long or as much as I did this one. It was three years ago when I first heard about this story and Michael Golembesky's quest to find a publisher and tell the world of the exploits of MSOT 8222 on that historic deployment in 2009-2010. This book is about an area of Afghanistan most people don't know about and that has seen a very small American footprint since the war started. So austere this valley (Bala Murghab) was that it's ancient occupants have never even heard of Osama bin Laden or what happened on 9/11/01. I think a lot of people (commanders) took this as a sign that the area was not important and uncontested, that would be proven wrong in the months of MSOT 8222's deployment. It was extremely kinetic. In his book, you will read about tragedies and selflessness, and also about supreme ignorance. This book is a tribute to all the warriors who fought and died in the Bala Murghab Valley. It is wonderfully done.

In the beginning I enjoyed reading about his (authors) perspective coming into MARSOC and being thrown onto a team as an outsider (he was a JTAC, not an operator). Also how he navigated the very close-knit team dynamic he encountered during the work up, and how he had to prove himself worthy to the guys. The author strikes me as an introverted, reflective, professionally aware, deeply compassionate warrior who has a strong moral base and never would have joined the military had it not been for 9/11. At times in the book it was all I could do but shake my head at the TYPICAL bone-headed officers who haven't a clue about combat and put people's lives at risk whilst sitting in an air-conditioned TOC miles away. The WORST type of officer you can have leading a unit in combat is one worried about his next promotion. The author strays away from pointing fingers or calling people out though, this book is not a base for personal attacks and doesn't detract from the real point to the story. If it weren't for guys like Golembesky and his brothers doing such skilled work surely they would have taken a lot more casualties though. The meat of the book is about the fight on Pathfinder Hill and the action does not disappoint. As of this writing there are 31 reviews on Amazon.com and 29 of them are rated five stars. Sounds too good to be true? It's not.

I HIGHLY recommend this book. I also rated it five stars.

http://www.amazon.com/Level-Zero-Heroes-Operations-Afghanistan-ebook/dp/B00IQOC2IK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410235827&sr=8-1&keywords=Level Zero Heroes

Last edited:
Nice review. I also had pre-ordered it and awaited its release. I'm just waiting to finish the books I'm currently reading before downloading it on my Kindle and finally jumping in. So much hype about it before it came out, I'm really hoping it delivers!

I'm in the same boat as Scuba, I didn't plan it out very well. I expected Level Zero Heroes to come out a little later, so I'm stuck scrambling to finish my current book. Glad to see it getting great reviews, I look forward to reading it. His documentary he put on his site a while back was very well done.

I'm definitely going to be picking this up soon. As someone in the TACP careerfield, I'm very interested to read what his experiences were like trying to integrate as a JTAC.

Last edited:
As someone in the TACP careerfield, I'm very interested to read what his experiences were like trying to integrate as a JTAC.

There is a very brief and specific point in the beginning part of the book that will either make you chuckle or rage out.

I am half-way through this book and it is very good so far. At least from my civilian point of view. I am very interested in what veterans and active-duty guys think about it.

Bought it yesterday, finished it yesterday.

Brilliant book, very well written and painted a very bleak picture of the utter nonsense troops are facing over there from those making the decisions above them.

I was finally able to start reading this book, and I'm already impressed. It's also cool to me that one of the guys on the team was a cop in my current city.

Since I am a JFO, it was cool having an almost JTAC center of the story. Read it in two days during my down time in the field. Worth the money, and cool seeing the dynamics of a MARSOC team.

Finished it last week. If it wasn't for work, I would have burned through in it in 2 days.

He gave you enough in the beginning about himself, how he felt coming into the team as an outsider, and what it meant to him to earn his place in the brotherhood. Then the book wasted no time on backgrounds and jumped right into day 1 of the deployment. You got a good taste of everyone on the team, difficulties dealing with higher and his mafia, and it was action packed all the way up to December. Then it was over.

I wish it covered the rest of the deployment, but I was really happy with the book. Like others; i could not put it down (until work intervened)!

Read this over the weekend and thought it was a great book. I really enjoyed the parts about controlling, minus the one obvious exception. It was disappointing to see how some JTACs act out there and the part about "Ben" was infuriating. I really enjoyed getting a look at the team dynamic of an MSOT and how they dealt with a lot of the BS from PRO 6.

I'm almost done with this book, and seeing how the team has had to deal with PRO 6 and the politics of it is amazing. I'm just a cop, so all of this is putting it more into perspective with what friends have said regarding the ROE. Things like dropping warning shot bombs... Just amazing.

Back