Marine officer calls out faux leadership

Devildoc

Verified Military
"They’re just waiting for a leadership corps that will get off LinkedIn long enough to tell the Commander, “no Sir, we will not be attending change of command practice this week, we will be in GSRA running PB ops and training to kill the enemy.” Hint: they most likely don’t have 100K Instagram followers, and you won’t find them dancing around the CP parking lot this afternoon. They’re probably either in the field, in the gym, in the pool, or at the armory. If the Marine Corps has a future, it lies with them."

Two Different Corps

"Well, the perception is that your Corps has been overrun by woke, soft, and self-interested Capt Sobels who care more about pronoun use, Master’s Degrees, and “white rage” than winning wars."

Fire

His points seem to be a logical extension and modernization of Larterguy's "Two Armies"...

ETA Larterguy's prose, in case anyone missed it...“I'd like to have two armies: one for display with lovely guns, tanks, little soldiers, staffs, distinguished and doddering Generals, and dear little regimental officers who would be deeply concerned over their General's bowel movements or their Colonel's piles, an army that would be shown for a modest fee on every fairground in the country. The other would be the real one, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, who would not be put on display, but from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”

His points seem to be a logical extension and modernization of Larterguy's "Two Armies"...

ETA Larterguy's prose, in case anyone missed it...“I'd like to have two armies: one for display with lovely guns, tanks, little soldiers, staffs, distinguished and doddering Generals, and dear little regimental officers who would be deeply concerned over their General's bowel movements or their Colonel's piles, an army that would be shown for a modest fee on every fairground in the country. The other would be the real one, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, who would not be put on display, but from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
Different units that could be categorized this way. I'd say it comes down to unit level leadership to a big degree.

Last edited:
"They’re just waiting for a leadership corps that will get off LinkedIn long enough to tell the Commander, “no Sir, we will not be attending change of command practice this week, we will be in GSRA running PB ops and training to kill the enemy.” Hint: they most likely don’t have 100K Instagram followers, and you won’t find them dancing around the CP parking lot this afternoon. They’re probably either in the field, in the gym, in the pool, or at the armory. If the Marine Corps has a future, it lies with them."

Two Different Corps
Bro, even at the height of the GWOT we spent a week or more doing CoC practice. And we STILL managed to kill the fuck out of Johnny Al Qaeda! This whole thing sounds like stupid boot complaints.

Bro, even at the height of the GWOT we spent a week or more doing CoC practice. And we STILL managed to kill the fuck out of Johnny Al Qaeda! This whole thing sounds like stupid boot complaints.

I see his points. There is a percentage of leadership, both officer and NCO, that's more interested in appearance in social media standing then actually getting the job done. We all have served under them at some point.

Ass-kissers, politics-players and self-promoters in the military aren’t anything new, they just have more ways now to toot their own horn. And right now, with no war, there’s plenty of time for everybody to fuck around and bullshit on social media.

When war comes, as long as Marines can kill and destroy as proficiently as they’ve done in the past, the Corps remains relevant…in spite of any social changes or dumb ideas that come down the chain in times of peace..

Back