Marine Veteran wanting to get back in

2Cor13.5

Unverified
Hello everyone,
My name's Corey and I served in the Marine Corps from 2009 to 2014. My primary MOS was 0231 Intel analyst and I served on both sides (Wing and Ground). I've done 2 non-combat deployments, the first was a Med float with 22nd MEU in 2011, and the second was training foreign nations near Black Sea in 2013.
To be very frank, I did not feel like the Corps was something for me in the long-term. I planned to do my 5 years, and get out. I ended up taking a Voluntary Early Release to go to college and study to become a substance abuse counselor.
Life took over. I got married to the love of my life, finished my program with with straight honors, and landed a job counseling at-risk youth. Then began the tug... For those vets out there reading this, you may know what this feels like: missing the adventure, the camaraderie, all the stupid crap, the lifestyle, the culture, etc. But this was something more for me. Like I never finished what I started. It got me thinking a lot as to what I was doing with my life. Im 26 years old now, having regrets about not staying in and making it a career. Someone told me, "What's stopping you from just going back in then?" and it hit me hard. I made the efforts to see what I could do to get back in. All the meanwhile I thought to myself that I don't want to fly a desk anymore. I want more, something different, something that will actually make me KNOW that I am fulfilling a true purpose, because I did not feel my purpose was to just sit around and pretend like my intel work was actually doing something for the war on terrorism. So, I made up my mind to get into the SOF community. The Corps is what I know, and the only branch I could ever see myself going back into, so my mindset stuck with MARSOC.
Weeks later, I read the subtitle of a new book called Chase the Lion, it said "If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough." My mind was officially made up. I want to go into MARSOC... No. I need to go into MARSOC.
So, here I am. My PT is all very rounded except my swimming, but im taking classes at my college to become professionally trained to get better. My wife is on board with me, and I feel the tug from God that this is what I need to be doing.
I reached out to this website because I stumbled upon it while being all weird and moto and looking up MARSOC stuff on google... lol.
I would really love to get in contact with a mentor on here to guide me and instruct me in what best steps I can do to be accepted beyond A&S, and everything else that comes with the mindset and lifestyle of being a Marine Special Operator.

Blessed to be here.

Welcome. Have you talked to your recruiter? I don't think there any programs that take you from the street to MARSOC even if you are a prior service. There used to be a way to go to A&S from the reserves but I don't know if that's still an option. Have you considered a reserve recon unit? That's probably your easiest way back in, especially if the reserve to MARSOC route is still open.

Welcome. Have you talked to your recruiter? I don't think there any programs that take you from the street to MARSOC even if you are a prior service. There used to be a way to go to A&S from the reserves but I don't know if that's still an option. Have you considered a reserve recon unit? That's probably your easiest way back in, especially if the reserve to MARSOC route is still open.

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, I've been in contact with a regular recruiter. I think that sounds like a great idea, and I would try and get a recon contract, but I have heard that if I fail out for whatever reason, I'll get sent to the needs of the Corps, and not back to my primary MOS. However, that is my limited understanding, I'm not 100% on that information. Either way, I've probably got a while to go before I'll be ready physically. My biggest downfall is swimming efficiently, and comfortably.

Good day Marine. Served in 3/5 India 05-09. I know how you feel. I have in the past and am currently speaking to a recruiter about PSEP. I was told that 0372 is an MOS that is open for prior service. I am waiting on my tattoos so far. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, I've been in contact with a regular recruiter. I think that sounds like a great idea, and I would try and get a recon contract, but I have heard that if I fail out for whatever reason, I'll get sent to the needs of the Corps, and not back to my primary MOS. However, that is my limited understanding, I'm not 100% on that information. Either way, I've probably got a while to go before I'll be ready physically. My biggest downfall is swimming efficiently, and comfortably.

If you take the Recon contract be sure to get your mind straight you'll be in the water every day for the most part. I would spend every waking moment getting more efficient and comfy in the water before you go. Other than that great paths either way!

Welcome to SS.

You would go needs of the Marine Corps... but that would probably land you back in your primary MOS given your background. Also, don't wash out and you won't have to worry about it.

Back