Mass Shooting in Thousand Oaks, CA

Early reports from the dude's neighbor state he was a Vet suffering from PTSD.

Thousand Oaks shooting LIVE: Latest updates as gunman open fires in Californian bar

Update...because below.

Marine Guns Down 12 People, Including Deputy, At Thousand Oaks Bar, Authorities Say

"Authorities identified the shooter as Ian David Long, 28, a Marine Corps veteran who was visited by the Ventura County sheriff’s crisis intervention team after a call of a “subject disturbing” at his home in nearby Newbury Park back in April. He was never placed on a mental health hold, and Sheriff Geoff Dean said Long may have been suffering from PTSD."

Last edited:
If it were up to me we would have a 24 hour cooling off period before any of these types of stories were even permitted to be posted.

Early reports from the dude's neighbor state he was a Vet suffering from PTSD.

What early reports? The story you linked says, "A neighbour told ABC 7 that he is a veteran who had been suffering from PTSD."

That is far from a "report".

Can we please wait just 5 minutes before posting every "so-and-so-said" thought that makes it onto the internet?

I understand what you're saying, but I disagree with it. It's literally an early report, from a news article, that was published with that content. Should I have stated that it's RAW information? I thought I was pretty clear and the assumption could be made that it's subject to change.

It's literally an early report, from a news article, that was published with that content.

So what if he was a Vet? (He was a Marine)
So what if he suffered from PTS?

Do either of those two bits of information add anything to the story? Do they cause one to say..."ohhh, a Vet with PTS? It all makes sense now".

And to reemphasize - what early report? An early report would be something like, "Bob Berditzman, the suspect's best friend and neighbor tells us that he was a Vet, suffered from terrible PTS, and was on medication to treat fantasies of shooting up a mall."

"A neighbor said so." is not an early report.

I thought I was pretty clear and the assumption could be made that it's subject to change.
Then why even post it? Why not wait until it is shown relevant to the story?

Condolences to the fallen. These acts are a special kind of evil.

What can I say?...It’s just downright awful all the way around.

@Ooh-Rah Nice touch leaving off the D...PTS is what it is, no more no less. Best part of this thread for me, sadly.

This shit is bananas. No point, and while possibly linked to PTS, that's no motive or justfication. It's only wrong and evil, and I think Ohrah is right, it's all BS until we know otherwise. Almost pointless to say.

Medical profession has to take some blame.
The clown is reported to have fantasized about shooting a mall up, here's a pill was the solution.
I don't like red flag laws, but this is a case that should have earned him a second look.
I wonder if he was off his meds?

Medical profession has to take some blame.
The clown is reported to have fantasized about shooting a mall up, here's a pill was the solution.
I don't like red flag laws, but this is a case that should have earned him a second look.
I wonder if he was off his meds?
Ca has red flag in place and hi cap mag ban as well. It all failed those folks. Sad days for sure. My kids have friends at those schools. All safe.

Truly heartbreaking. Sgt. Helus, rest in eternal peace. Thank you for your sacrifice. May the family and friends of the victims find comfort and love in their darkest hours.

Not sure if true, but it mentioned the shooter online nickname/alias

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/us/thousand-oaks-gunman/index.html

It looks like he was a member here, only had a few posts, and last logged in in 2017.

It’s tragic what he did and a shame we weren’t in his life at the time to prevent this from happening. If anyone out there feels like they’re veering toward a similar path, please reach out to the many brothers and sisters you have on this site.

Man what a tragedy. Rest in Eternal Peace all the victims especialy Sgt. Ron Helus who tried to stop it.

Shadowspear, it's not your fault. You couldn't have possibly seen this coming.

RIP SGT Helus! My thoughts and prayers are with those killed, injured and missing and their families!!

PTS is not a reason for shooting people- or a reason for a pattern of aggressive and hostile behavior- it's an excuse.

Taking the hard right and not the easy left is a choice. PTS doesn't take that choice away and neither does TBI - no matter how serious. The hard right is to reach out and don't stop reaching until you find the help you need, to do the work yourself. Anything else is quitting.

Back