MEPS/Recruitment/Indoc process

Six-Two

Unverified
Hey Guys,

Recently started working with recruiter to get a boot camp date. Picked Coast Guard as it seems like a better fit than Army or Navy. Hope that doesn't seem like a contradiction of my previous aspirations posted in this forum. At the end of the day, I want to go where I'll be the best asset to the team, and I think CG is where that is. Hoping to get assigned to a MSST or PACTACLET so I can still do some cool guy stuff every once in a while too.

So as far as the process goes, I just took the ASVAB at MEPS. To my recruiter's joy, I got an AFQT of 99 (the Navy recruiter in whose office I left my phone in said he'd get me into SEAL school immediately if I ditched the Coast Guard :rolleyes:).

That said, he expressed concern that my Social Security card doesn't match my birth certificate. The SS Card has an abbreviated form of it: [First Name] [Middle Initial] [Last Name], whereas my birth certificate reads: [First] [Middle Name] [2nd Middle Name] [Last Name]. Is this gonna screw me up later on? I only ask because it hasn't been an issue in my almost-28 years of existence thus far.

Secondly, am I screwing up going to Coast Guard? I'll be 28 in August, so I'm not under the impression that I can come back after my 4 years and decide I'd like to be an 18D and still be competitive as a 32-year-old former shallow water sailor. A $20k enlistment bonus would also be nice, but I'd rather be in a job and branch I'd be a great fit for than $20k richer and miserable for 3-5 years, or, worse still, a liability for the people that depend on me.

Lastly, are there any coasties on here that can advise a newbie about how to track for the best possible Coast Guard experience? I'd like to go the ME route, but there's presently a wait of around 18 months to go to the ME A-School, so BM has its appeal too. That said, if I'm basically gonna be a BM as a non-rate, then that's just fine. Will probably apply for OCS while I'm in, but I don't want to shoot my chances of getting a MSST assignment or PACTACLET before I do. At the end of the day, it's just money, and it would take a hell of a lot of currency to be worth trading in adventures for a desk.

Thanks for any pointers you guys can give.

Best,

Secondly, am I screwing up going to Coast Guard?

Given everything you've posted, I think it's fair to say you don't know what you want. No one can answer whether the Coast Guard, or the military generally, is right for you.

Frankly, I'll be quite surprised if your tag ever changes to verified military. But then, I'm a cynical cuss.

Now move out, draw fire and prove me wrong.

"this" is what your post reminds me of - Now be a man and make a decision.

Last edited:
Ha, at least you didn't call me Fredo.

I understand the skepticism. I wanted to do my due diligence in picking what could be 3, 4, or 5 years of my life, or the rest of it, and after researching all my options, CG seems like the best fit.

I should've clarified in my initial post. I meant "am I screwing up by joining the Coast Guard instead of another branch," especially since my AFQT score would open a bunch of doors. Ultimately, I don't think I am - hence my pursuit of a Coast Guard billet. Just a lot to consider, since at 28, that inter-service latitude isn't really there. I'm joining as fast as I can - MEPS, paperwork, security, boot camp slots, etc. take time.

But yeah, I'll be in in September and a bona-fide Puddle Pirate by December if all goes well. Opted to have my SS card changed just in case.

A brief Google has ME as the (or soon to be) only feeder rate into the jobs you describe. Confirm that with a CG recruiter, but it sounds like you can leave soon or wait for ME and pursue the specialized LE angle.

According to my recruiter the notion that ME is the only rate that gets MSST is a mistaken one (he's a GM and former MSST member). That said, I'll check the climate when I get through basic. It'll be good to experience first hand what each job does as a non-rate.

According to my recruiter the notion that ME is the only rate that gets MSST is a mistaken one (he's a GM and former MSST member). That said, I'll check the climate when I get through basic. It'll be good to experience first hand what each job does as a non-rate.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

" You pays your money and you takes your chances."

That's the idea. I'm really looking forward to this adventure, and am approaching it with no expectations. A handful of hopes, to be sure, but I'm excited for whatever may head my way and to test how I weather it. Mainly just want to get on a cool assignment, and make it home in one piece at the end of it. I think I'll probably end up putting in for ME to make sure I have the best odds at a TACLET or MSST, and just enjoy my time as a non-rate and learn as much as I can before A-School.

My only concern is that I don't think I'd be able to put in for Officer Candidate School if my goal is a MSST or TACLET, but I think at this point in my life, OCS is less important to me than a stimulating assignment. The extra money would be cool, but I'd rather be on a team than telling it what to do from an office.

Plus I'm planning on finishing my degree via correspondence courses and CLEPS exams while I'm in, and joining the reserves when I get out, so I may put in for Officer after I transition to reserves.

Then again, I know the road to hell is paved with good intentions, so any pointers from some fellows who've already been down said road to hell would be much appreciated.

Lastly, I know many of you guys have read my previous posts which would indicate a near-chronic lack of steadfastness, but I am 100% committed to this decision. Though it may seem contrary, it's precisely BECAUSE I don't take it lightly that there's been so much shuffling from option to option, branch to branch, MOS to MOS. I'm trying to work through every potentiality, and a CG billet and 4 years of active duty was what I landed on.

Anyway, I go in next week to finish up my paperwork, so we'll see when I finally get a ship date. Thanks all.

" You pays your money and you takes your chances."

~SNIP
and just enjoy my time as a non-rate and learn as much as I can before A-School.

Why don't you find some undesignated seamen and ask them how much they enjoy their time on a ship?

My only concern is that I don't think I'd be able to put in for Officer Candidate School if my goal is a MSST or TACLET, but I think at this point in my life, OCS is less important to me than a stimulating assignment. The extra money would be cool, but I'd rather be on a team than telling it what to do from an office.

Plus I'm planning on finishing my degree via correspondence courses and CLEPS exams while I'm in, and joining the reserves when I get out, so I may put in for Officer after I transition to reserves.

CLEP is a way to 'test out' of a course, you're not going to get your degree by taking CLEP tests. They are for the lowest level classes. So while you might save your self some time and money by not having to take Basket Weaving 101, you won't be finishing any degree by way of CLEP tests.

Then again, I know the road to hell is paved with good intentions, so any pointers from some fellows who've already been down said road to hell would be much appreciated.

Lastly, I know many of you guys have read my previous posts which would indicate a near-chronic lack of steadfastness, but I am 100% committed to this decision. Though it may seem contrary, it's precisely BECAUSE I don't take it lightly that there's been so much shuffling from option to option, branch to branch, MOS to MOS. I'm trying to work through every potentiality, and a CG billet and 4 years of active duty was what I landed on.

Anyway, I go in next week to finish up my paperwork, so we'll see when I finally get a ship date. Thanks all.

Any other issues seem to have already been addressed.

I could give a shit; it's in progress but I hit a snag that I'm not willing to update an open forum on. Would rather deal with an annoying sobriquet for a couple weeks then get myself out of the dog house with a verified military sig than jeopardize said ship date with a story I'll probably still get shit for. I'll check in in a couple weeks, or you guys can just take my word for it. either way, it's no skin off my back.

I could give a shit; it's in progress but I hit a snag that I'm not willing to update an open forum on. Would rather deal with an annoying sobriquet for a couple weeks then get myself out of the dog house with a verified military sig than jeopardize said ship date with a story I'll probably still get shit for. I'll check in in a couple weeks, or you guys can just take my word for it. either way, it's no skin off my back.

Is the snag that your CAG and SEAL friends are trying coordinate your direct entry into a classified unit that you're not allowed to talk about and the CG recruiter isn't playing ball?

Is the snag that your CAG and SEAL friends are trying coordinate your direct entry into a classified unit that you're not allowed to talk about and the CG recruiter isn't playing ball?
Yeah, nailed it. Don't tell anybody.

Seriously, it doesn't matter what I say, because even if I tell the truth it's bullshit until I'm holding orders anyway, so why ask?

Yeah, nailed it. Don't tell anybody.

Seriously, it doesn't matter what I say, because even if I tell the truth it's bullshit until I'm holding orders anyway, so why ask?

Because you have a pretty big attitude for someone who's done jack and shit in the military. You could've said, "Well it's actually a personal/medically embarrassing/whateverthefuck issue and I prefer not to disclose it right now." Instead, you get a fucking attitude and start spouting off about " I could give a shit.....no skin off my back." Motherfucker, you came here, we didn't invite you. So don't act like we're all waiting with baited breath to find out if you actually followed through on something. It was a simple question.

Then just fucking say I am on hold clearing some admin stuff.

Back