"Fat Leonard" Scandal

I could overlook the paid travel and prostitutes, but not the Lady gaga tickets. That alone should get him convicted.

Seriously, never underestimate the power of greed. It can make people do stupid things. How sad. Hopefully he didn't divulge anything that will hurt us, and I hope he found the disease-ridden pussy worth it.

Corruption is to society what inflammation is to the body.

I would sell out my country in a cocaine heartbeat for a Mongolian prostitute and a Spanish suckling pig. I mean, who wouldn't?

I'm soo glad to no longer be in husbanding. While the service is crucial to the success of the Navy, or Coast Guard, I am glad to have it far, far, far behind me.

Throughout the week, military prosecutors detailed how Francis feted Morales — a sumptuous feast in Hawaii where Morales alone guzzled $2,000 worth of food and champagne; a private party at Bangkok’s exclusive Pegasus Club, where Francis held court; prime seats for a Julio Iglesias concert; even suckling pigs sent to the pilot as housewarming gifts by the corrupt contractor.
“I find an egregious pattern of accepting gifts, almost as bad as as if I had found you guilty of conspiracy and bribery, that thoroughly compromised you as an officer,” Purnell told Morales.

Now, I'm no legal expert here, but there seems like there is only a razor thin line separating the two of these.
A bribe is roughly defined as "a gift given with the expectation of benefit or influence in return"; so was the argument that these things from Leonard weren't a bribe, because Cmdr. Morales didn't see them as such?

This Leonard guy sure knew how to get straight to the heart of those who sail the ocean blue....I mean after all, what Navy guy could possibly refuse “Thai SEAL team” prostitutes (Had no idea assets of this kind were an organization) or prime seats for a Julio Iglesias concert.......
icon_lol.gif

Last edited:
What a joke. More proof that officers are treated way too differently from enlisted. With great power comes great responsibility. They all deserve to sit in jail for a long, long, time.

Did you read the story?

Navy JAG didn't do a good job presenting their case.

When you have a single witness, and he lies under oath, then your case is probably going down the tubes.

I don't know how 165 days brig time was determined, but the guy is finished, career-wise. I hope he enjoys being a MWR Officer at Adak Alaska for the rest of his career.
Federal conviction will kill most post-military flying jobs (at least the ones that make good money).
Loss of clearance/conviction also kills most contracting opportunities.
He'll be in his mid-40's living on $40K/year, not a great lifestyle.

The headline is misleading.

The cases in jeopardy are the ones going before Military Judges, the ones headed to Federal Court are hurt (maybe). The cases now in limbo are the ones being tried in Military Courts, as the Star Witness has lied under oath (via taped testimony) and I see a lot of plea agreements coming down the pipe.

I want the NCIS Investigator hit the hardest, followed by the Admirals and Master Chiefs.

A former U.S. Pacific Fleet spokesman who moonlighted as a PR guru for “Fat Leonard”Glenn Francis was sentenced to six months in prison Friday.
Now-retired Navy Capt. Jeffrey Breslau also must pay a $20,000 fine and perform 250 hours of community service as part of the sentence handed down in a San Diego courtroom by U.S. District Judge Janis Sammartino.

Breslau also must reimburse the Navy the $65,000 that Fat Leonard paid the captain “for insider advice that helped the contractor build a business empire that cost the Navy tens of millions of dollars,” according to a U.S. Justice Department release announcing the punishment.
He pleaded guilty in November to a criminal conflict of interest charge.

Breslau helped manage negative Fat Leonard news about a ship dumping waste in Philippine waters and a GDMA truck that killed a moped driver, according to the memo. The captain gave Francis advice on dining with admirals at their homes, and Francis told of how he hooked up 7th Fleet staffers with tickets to a Lady Gaga concert in Thailand.

Breslau’s Fat Leonard-related work began in 2012 when he was head of public affairs for Pacific Fleet and continued into 2013 when he led a crisis-communications command in Norfolk. Along the way, he helped massage bad news Francis brought to him about the increasing scrutiny Navy officials were bringing to bear on GDMA, among other headaches, according to the memo.

Navy captain who moonlighted as Fat Leonard’s PR man is going to prison

This story never stops….

Felony convictions vacated for 4 Navy officers in ‘Fat Leonard’ case

SAN DIEGO — The felony convictions of four Navy officers in one of the worst bribery cases in the maritime branch’s history were vacated due to prosecutorial misconduct Wednesday, the latest setback to the government’s yearslong efforts in going after dozens of military officials tied to a defense contractor nicknamed Fat Leonard.
that seems to have been happening a lot lately. Have there been several other cases overturned like this in the last couple of years or it is just my imagination?

Back