MOH + Sainthood?

AWP

SOF Support
A very remarkable story about a Chaplain from Korea. I would say his actions warrant the MOH, but not being a Catholic I couldn't comment on sainthood. Regardless, this is a great story and one I'd hope every military chaplain knows by heart.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17224774?really

US Army Chaplain Father Emil Kapaun stole, suffered and sacrificed his life for his fellow soldiers in a Korean prison camp. Six decades after his death, he is being considered for the Congressional Medal of Honor - and sainthood.

That is truly amazing. What a great man- he surely does deserve the MOH. Sainthood may be a little less likely- if my years of Catholic school aren't failing me, I believe that there does have to be a verified miracle on the part of person being considered, along with some other acts and attributes that were performed while they were alive.

That is truly amazing. What a great man- he surely does deserve the MOH. Sainthood may be a little less likely- if my years of Catholic school aren't failing me, I believe that there does have to be a verified miracle on the part of person being considered, along with some other acts and attributes that were performed while they were alive.
Two miracles. And they must be posthumous. But whether or not he is recognized a saint, IMHO he is one.
The Church doesn't create saints, it only formally recognizes them through a series of investigations.
Fr. Kapaun's story is absolutely incredible. Thanks, Free for the post.

Damn, that made me cry. What a great man. The Church could do (and has done) much worse, saint-wise.

Two miracles. And they must be posthumous. But whether or not he is recognized a saint, IMHO he is one.
The Church doesn't create saints, it only formally recognizes them through a series of investigations.
Fr. Kapaun's story is absolutely incredible. Thanks, Free for the post.
So much for 8 years of my education... Thanks for clearing that up!

Back