My wife got me one of these

Gunz

Combined Action
Verified Military
malinois%20tank.png

Not the tank, the dog. She put a down-payment on a Malinois puppy for me. It's still in the oven, but I'll get a brown male around Valentines Day (whenever the hell that is, February something). The more I read about these dogs the more impressed I am. I'm guessing some of you folks have experience with this breed?

I can't wait. Get ready for puppy pictures in March. I may have to build him a tank out of tractor parts.

They can be pretty aggressive, but are smart as fuck. Keep it active or you will buy all new things.

Agree 1000% with TLDR20 - they require a lot of training to keep their aggressiveness under control. SUPER high energy, Einstein level intelligence for dogs, they need a job to do since they're working dogs, and keep him engaged, guarding the house is engaged once he's trained... if they have too much unstructured time alone, you may as well write off everything you own, it'll be shredded.

Beautiful dog - but painfully unforgiving. I am an experienced Shepherd owner and after losing our last, thought I was ready to bump up to the the next level. Lots of Internet research later, and some long talks with breeders and trainers, I am getting another GSD this spring.

I know for a fact that I can train a new Shepherd to keep busy enough to stay out of too much trouble - same goes if she wants to offer the occasional growl or nip, just to see who's boss. But I also know I'm not prepared to handle the same dog - on Steroids.

@Ocoka One - if you are not experienced with a bigger dog, whether a Malinois or any working dog, please consider getting the training necessary ahead of time. My breeder puts new GSD owners thru a pretty extensive interview process before she will hand over her pups - for a Malinois, she's made it clear that she will only offer to experienced GSD owners or former military/police who can show her they have experience with the dog. Otherwise the pups end up being put into a shelter or worse. - because the owner cannot handle them.

Not saying that would be the case with you, just want to be sure you know what you are getting yourself into. Especially socialization of the dog - this cannot be a dog that gets little to no interaction with other people or dogs - too possessive otherwise, recipe for potential disaster.

Here is one link just to get you started-

Belgian Malinois Breed Information

Somewhere I have a picture of me and a buddy petting Saddam lions through the cages. I attempted to get the same type of picture at a particular compound that had Belgian Malinois, didn't happen and got a picture of me scared pale white. Them dogs are freaking scary as shit when they bark you down. I'll stick with my lovey dovey Labradors.

Congratulations on the soon to be pup!

Greatly appreciate the feedback and will have my wife read these comments. We've bred Golden Retrivers and have one Golden now and a Sheltie/Border Collie mix so the new pup would have buddies...and we live on a farm with a fenced in perimeter so there's plenty of room for them to run.

But you guys have made me a bit wary. I made need to rethink this a bit. I'm still waiting on the VA for my hip replacement and want to be fixed up before the pup comes.

Last edited:
... I'm still waiting on the VA for my hip replacement and want to be fixed up before the pup comes.

I'm in my 50's, and wouldn't even consider a Malinois anymore, much less with something major happening like a hip replacement. I was a vet tech in the service in the 80's as they were shifting to a mostly Malinois focus, so I've worked with them a bit professionally. From what I understand of the breeding programs going on in those subsequent 30 years, the intelligence, intensity and exercise level of the animals being produced now... nope... not interested in that for my personal life.

You've got a Sheltie/Border Collie mix and then think about that x 200 intelligence and activity levels and add in aggression potential. THAT might be an average Malinois.

LL

They are amazing dogs, no doubt. You could also look into adopting a Malinois. A lot of the adoption organizations dedicated to the breed will classify each dog's energy level as low energy (for a Malinois), medium, or high energy.

malinois%20tank.png

Not the tank, the dog. She put a down-payment on a Malinois puppy for me. It's still in the oven, but I'll get a brown male around Valentines Day (whenever the hell that is, February something). The more I read about these dogs the more impressed I am. I'm guessing some of you folks have experience with this breed?

I can't wait. Get ready for puppy pictures in March. I may have to build him a tank out of tractor parts.

They're great dogs! Extremely loyal and full of energy. The one I have is active as can be and has gone through so many soccer balls and rubber toys. Congratulations.

ZM

Thanks all for the input.

I ran all your comments by the Mrs this morning and expressed my concerns. She basically said (to me) "What the fuck is wrong with you, did your balls drop off or something?" :wall::wall:

She reminded me that we've bred horses, cattle, dogs, have plenty of room, two male dogs to keep him company and if my hip is still a problem she'll handle all the training. She has done her research on the breed, has had lots of contact with this particular breeder and for a non-vet knows more about animals than anybody else I know. So...I gotta trust her on this one.

I'll just hope and pray the dog don't eat the UPS man when he's bringing me my ammo. :-o

LMFAO -

If I ever visit your AO, I'll be sure to check on HER beverage of choice, and just ask you to get the glasses! :D

Enjoy the pup - be sure to post pics as it grows up ! And based on some of the other comments, it would be entertaining to see occasional pics of chewed up shoes, boots, saddles, and UPS men your new battle beast chooses to tear into! :thumbsup:

Shark Face? I'm telling you, when they get all barkedy-barkedy and those fangs come out....holy shit.

But really, all my family dogs have been named after states, cities, and legendary individuals from the past.

Last edited:
She reminded me that we've bred horses, cattle, dogs, have plenty of room, two male dogs to keep him company and if my hip is still a problem she'll handle all the training. She has done her research on the breed, has had lots of contact with this particular breeder and for a non-vet knows more about animals than anybody else I know. So...I gotta trust her on this one.

See that makes all the difference versus thinking it was an out of the blue Good Idea Fairy visit.;-)

Troll works for me.... if he's good natured, loveable, sweet, kind, gentle and a grammar Nazi...:thumbsup::wall::-oO_o but still brooks no shit from nugs...:mad:

You're on the name list. :thumbsup: I'd put Pardus on there too but that's almost too scary a name for a puppy, even an attack dog :D. "Shadow" is another I'm considering in honor of the folks here...

Actually, I still kind of agree with your's and Mrs LLs advice re the dog and have my misgivings. But I've seen Mrs R get like this over animals and there aint a whole lot I can say that will change her mind. So, for the sake of the pup, I hope all goes well. I'll do my part to protect the UPS man.

Last edited:
Back