Navy removes gendered terms in its official SEAL ethos

Now if we can co-ed shower like they did in Starship Troopers, hell yeah. But I doubt they would let us, so screw 'em....

For as stodgy and unyielding as the Marines can be, the Navy has some communities even more so: NSW, subs, aviation... NSW is not amused.

Now if we can co-ed shower like they did in Starship Troopers, hell yeah. But I doubt they would let us, so screw 'em....

For as stodgy and unyielding as the Marines can be, the Navy has some communities even more so: NSW, subs, aviation... NSW is not amused.
Done it at Ranger school. It ain’t all it’s cracked up to be.

I want @Arf 's opinion on this one as it affects SWCC along with SEAL.

Our role for Riflemen used to be to seek out and close with the enemy, to kill or capture him. Current Defence Force Recruiting for Infantry Soldiers lists the role as seek out and close with the enemy to kill or capture them. With a nice big picture of Pte Jayne. With women currently making up about .3% of the regular Infantry, it made sense to use Private Jayne Sleigh in the recruiting media...

....Current Defence Force Recruiting for Infantry Soldiers lists the role as seek out and close with the enemy to kill or capture them....
Does this mean women, and I would assume children, are now fair game if they’re found with a rifle? Or is the US Government going to continue to be sexist and ageist when it comes to the validity of enemy combatants?

Does this mean women, and I would assume children, are now fair game if they’re found with a rifle? Or is the US Government going to continue to be sexist and ageist when it comes to the validity of enemy combatants?

Not sure what you mean here, brother. Being "found with a rifle" was by itself never legit cause to kill someone, AFIAK. If we killed everyone in Iraq who had a rifle, for example, just about all of the adult male population would have been wiped out. If you're meaning combatants, then combatants are combatants. One of Bin Laden's wives got snuffed during his raid because she raised up, and there was a teenager who got shot up pretty badly in Afghanistan and then landed in Gitmo for a number of years because he wanted to throw grenades at US troops.

I've spent a lot of time in the Army and don't recall ROE that said "you can't shoot kids or women, even if they're combatants." Was your experience different?

Not sure what you mean here, brother. Being "found with a rifle" was by itself never legit cause to kill someone, AFIAK. If we killed everyone in Iraq who had a rifle, for example, just about all of the adult male population would have been wiped out. If you're meaning combatants, then combatants are combatants. One of Bin Laden's wives got snuffed during his raid because she raised up, and there was a teenager who got shot up pretty badly in Afghanistan and then landed in Gitmo for a number of years because he wanted to throw grenades at US troops.

I've spent a lot of time in the Army and don't recall ROE that said "you can't shoot kids or women, even if they're combatants." Was your experience different?
I guess it was a poor attempt at a joke at the constant PC culture changing everything just to change things.

But to answer your question, I have seen different when I was on gunships. Didn’t matter if we watched multiple RPGs leave a courtyard, followed by person using a PKM. If anyone in the stack mentioned that they suspected that person was a female, there was nothing we could do at that point and the ground team had to either abandon that compound of interest, or fight it out on their own, just for the team to end up dealing with a barricaded shooter that turned out to just be a short guy in man jammies.

And no, I’m not saying we should just start killing women and children.

Back