Newsweek - 'Lone Survivor' savior says Luttrell abandoned him

Ex3

Bionic SSSO1 plank owner
He risked his life to come to the aid of a stranger. Now he's in a strange land, he doesn't speak the language. In fact, he doesn't read or write in his own language.

As the saying goes, 'There are three sides to every story - yours, mine and the truth'. But if someone saved my life, I'd make sure that they weren't living in fear of eviction and on food stamps.

It's a long, but interesting read.

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/05/20/...lone-survivor-operation-red-wings-458139.html

Gulab feels abandoned. The State Department funneled his case to a local relief agency, which paid his rent and gave him thousands of dollars in cash assistance over eight months—all on the condition he continued looking for work and attended free English classes. Yet on May 30, Gulab’s benefits will expire. He will still get food stamps and health care. But the agency stopped paying his rent in April. To get by, the family is now relying on Gulab’s 19-year-old son, Irshad, who makes $10.60 an hour at a local electronics warehouse.​

Nearly the entire saga from mission planning to the present day is a train wreck. As for Gulab, we can't even take care of our own vets, do we think Gulab stands a chance? Besides, he refused several offers and waited years before he went to America. He's stubborn, stupid, or the threats to his life weren't that bad.

I'll keep the more cynical thoughts to myself. On the plus side you can't deny the heroism and sacrifice involved, even if everything else bears scrutiny....and we'll never know what actually happened.

Nearly the entire saga from mission planning to the present day is a train wreck. As for Gulab, we can't even take care of our own vets, do we think Gulab stands a chance? Besides, he refused several offers and waited years before he went to America. He's stubborn, stupid, or the threats to his life weren't that bad.

I'll keep the more cynical thoughts to myself. On the plus side you can't deny the heroism and sacrifice involved, even if everything else bears scrutiny....and we'll never know what actually happened.
I agree with you.

But are you using 'we' as in the gov't? I think Luttrell himself should step up; this specific situation could be made right overnight.

I agree with you.

But are you using 'we' as in the gov't? I think Luttrell himself should step up; this specific situation could be made right overnight.

I think you are right, and completely agree with you. What we see and do as individuals, does not translate to how we respond as a nation; at least not in the last eight years. Perhaps there will be a change, and we will return to a Nation with responsible leadership, we do not have that now. We tend to forget about not only the people that have trusted and helped us, but also Nations. Look at our middle East, I can't even call it a policy because I don't think we have one, so we have a behavior. For some reason an entire Jewish nation, and ally, has been given the cold shoulder, and insulted at every chance. It would be wonderful if we could return to the Nation that stood up against Hitler, and the Empire of Japan at a time of war. We stood up against Hitler because it was the right thing to do. We stood up against Japan, because they attacked our Nation. Neither would happen today.

Last edited:
He got to come to America, that's the best gift most of the world could possibly receive.

Does he want to be treated like a fucking king or something?
No, but I think Luttrell should lend a hand to the person that saved his life. It sounds like his town could use a decent Afghan restaurant ...they could be partners!

No, but I think Luttrell should lend a hand to the person that saved his life. It sounds like his town could use a decent Afghan restaurant ...they could be partners!
The picture in the article of his wife's cooking does looks amazing.

Sounds like they had a big falling out over the discrepancies in their stories. Gulab's version seems to have the backing of some of the Marine commanders who were involved in the planning. That kind of thing would definitely drive a wedge between the two. Then there's the money. Nothing will fuck up a poor dude faster then a pile of US Greenbacks. And in Luttrell's defense, it looks like he helped the guy quite a bit and for a long time. When does the obligation end? Gulab's story potentially damages Luttrell's reputation. With that in mind, why would Luttrell continue to support the guy.

There are plenty of people who come to this country with a lot less help and manage to make it.

But two unquestionably courageous guys IMHO.

Last edited:
1) As famous as Lutrell and his story have become, how the hell can we not get this poor SOB into the states?

2) Oh...I just read the article and he IS here. And in an apartment with his family. Cool! He's one up on most in his situation back home.

3) Oh...he still does not have a job, and lives off his kids' minimum wage job for income?

3) Oh...now he wants to sell a different version of his story to make some cash?

4) Seems like it did not take him long to find the "where's my free shit" crowd and acclimate to the part of America I cannot stand right now.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Everyone has a right to control their right of privacy/publicity. His story was featured in a Hollywood film that made over $200 million dollars. He should've been protected and compensated. But that's just my $0.02.

The right of publicity grew out of the general principles of invasion of privacy that prohibit using a person’s name or likeness to gain a benefit. Within the past few decades, the right of publicity has emerged as an independent type of claim that a person can make when his or her name or likeness is used for commercial purposes.
The Right of Publicity | Nolo.com

I agree with you.

The "we" was our country, specifically the VA, and how we care for our vets. If we aren't going to take care of our own, guys like Gulab don't stand a chance. Of course, we've shafted so many allies over the years I couldn't blame any of them for being mad at the US.

Regarding Luttrell, if we use only 25% of the accusations and denials it still paints Mr. Luttrell in a bad light. Conversely, I don't have much sympathy for Gulab because he had opportunities and turned them down. Even if they would not have worked, he was offered and he refused....but then he wants us to make it right. :wall:

Do we trust the American with an image to protect or the Afghan from a culture with sliding-scale morality and ethics? Can we trust either of them? I don't have those answers, but this is another sad chapter in a sad story. I'm still gobsmacked by their comm plan. An Iridium? Jesus Christ....

Nothing will fuck up a poor dude faster then a pile of US greenbacks.
I also don't see the average Afghan transitioning well to a life in the US. I'm sure it's comparable to the average Vietnamese- they have no way to understand what a modern American way of life is.

Their whole upbringing is molding them to live in the world they were born into. You can't bring them to a whole new strange world and not expect problems.

Everything I ever seen in the past from Luttrell was he was fighting to get Gulab state side. Apparently that happened. What took place since should be taken with a grain of salt. Don't know if he showed up expected to live high on the hog. Luttrell doesn't. They could have had a falling out, there could be meditating circumstance that were not aware of. What if Gulab attempted to use Luttrell or attempted to gain fame and fortune from him.

Luttrell has made an obligation to support veterans, he could've went straight Hollywood, he could've just closed his door and jumped into a bottle, but he has been an advocate for veteran's, while tell the story of his brothers, while trying to raise a family and support them, while dealing with his demons.

I wouldn't be quick to say this falls squarely on Luttrells shoulders.

I wouldn't be quick to say this falls squarely on Luttrells shoulders.
I'm not saying that it should, though by every account, he owes him his life. That's not to say he should be living high on the hog. But the guy doesn't strike me as sharp enough to 'attempt to gain fame and fortune' from anyone.

I think the production company should help him get settled. They certainly profited from from his name and story.

Idea here:
Someone floats some USD for The wife to get a place and on her feet cooking in their community in Dallas.

I don't care if it's Marcus, Marky Mark, someone from the book company, hollywood or Donald Trump.

Bottom line, it is a dual hatted outcome:
Good press, and you are taking care of a good human being.

:thumbsup:

I'm not saying that it should, though by every account, he owes him his life. That's not to say he should be living high on the hog. But the guy doesn't strike me as sharp enough to 'attempt to gain fame and fortune' from anyone.

I think the production company should help him get settled. They certainly profited from from his name and story.
He got him to the US, so he saved his life in turn. Also, Afghans can get and plead for handouts with the best of them.

He got him to the US, so he saved his life in turn. Also, Afghans can get and plead for handouts with the best of them.
It looks to me that they brought him over to promote the film and dumped him when they didn't need him any more.

I don't know what's true and what's not but I just finished reading the thread about Chris Kyle's medals coming under scrutiny. Seems to be a trend going on. I tend to side with Luttrell though, maybe I'm biased but Afghans haven't always been known for honesty and neither has the media, so who's to say who is using who here.

The thing about America, is you are guaranteed life, liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness. You aren't guaranteed a lazy, happy, comfortable life paid for with free money- but that is changing.

Both of my grandfathers came here just before WWII, one joined the military, and the other, disqualified from military service due to being blind in one eye, lived in a shanty town and was a coal miner. They both lived simple lives in tiny houses and left a modest amount of money to their children when they died. They both, quite literally, started with nothing.

Gulab can bitch and moan about his situation, or he can find peace in the fact that his children and grandchildren have boundless opportunity ahead of them.

Last edited:
Back