Paramilitary Operations Officer/Specialized Skills Officer

Centermass

Ranger
Rest In Peace
Work Schedule: Full Time
Salary: $60,805 – $100,736
The Directorate of Operations (DO) is a cadre of action- and results-oriented professionals who accept significant, demanding responsibilities and accountability for results. Paramilitary Operations Officers (PMOO) and Specialized Skills Officers (SSO) are distinct occupations in the DO, but together they play a unique role and provide unique capabilities in support of conventional and unconventional operations overseas.

Most DO officers, including PMOOs and SSOs, are hired at an entry level and train as they are expected to work--as one team. All DO officers begin their careers spending one to two years learning the foundations of clandestine operational tradecraft via classroom training, practical exercise, and on-the-job experience. PMOOs and SSOs must successfully complete foundational training as a DO Operations Officer.

In addition, PMOOs are required to successfully complete specialized training to prepare them for service in hazardous and austere environments overseas. SSOs transition into a career focused on operating and maintaining infrastructure necessary to facilitate and support missions conducted under CIA-unique authorities. SSOs serve primarily at CIA Headquarters, but have frequent opportunities for temporary duty travel and/or assignments abroad.

Minimum requirements include:

• US citizenship at the time of application (dual national US citizens are eligible)
  • A four-year college/university degree from an accredited institution (applicants within one year of earning a four-year degree will be considered)
  • Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team
  • Flexibility to adapt to changing work and training requirements
  • Excellent verbal and written communication skills
  • Ability to make decisions to meet existing conditions and mission requirements rather than relying on preset assumptions and goals
Competitive Paramilitary Operations Officer applicants have:

• Military special operations or combat arms experience (ground, air or maritime)
  • Served in combat leadership positions
  • Willingness to serve in hazardous and austere environments overseas (previous foreign travel and foreign language is valued, but not required)
Competitive Specialized Skills Officer applicants have expertise or experience in:

• Social communications, media, marketing, technology development, business, finance or legal
  • Military aviation and military/merchant maritime industries, military psychological operations, and/or information operations
  • Counterintelligence

Important Notice: Friends, family, individuals, or organizations may be interested to learn that you are seeking employment with the CIA. Their interest, however, may not be benign or in your best interest. Once you reveal your interest you lose control of that information. We ask all applicants to exercise discretion and good judgment in disclosing your interest in a position with the CIA. You will receive further guidance on this topic as you proceed through your CIA employment processing.

Paramilitary Operations Officer/Specialized Skills Officer — Central Intelligence Agency

I still don't know what "paramilitary operations officers" actually does but it sounds cool, and that's all that matters.

Not very competitive pay for who they are trying to recruit, if you ask me.

The minimum salary gets you an apartment at the end of the Metro, an hour, hour-and-a-half from work. The top end, yeah, maybe, but when does anyone, especially .gov, pay people at the max salary??

Like the difference between contract/travel nursing and working where I work.

Not really. The scope of the job and many other factors are quite different. The most important one is security and retirement.

Not really. The scope of the job and many other factors are quite different. The most important one is security and retirement.

Of course there are differences, but there are similarities between working for "the man" and contract (in general) work in spite of what the job title is. I can quit today, start a contract nursing job tomorrow for $100K (actually more), but no retirement and few bennies. I prefer the security, retirement, and bennies I have now.

Of course there are differences, but there are similarities between working for "the man" and contract (in general) work in spite of what the job title is. I can quit today, start a contract nursing job tomorrow for $100K (actually more), but no retirement and few bennies. I prefer the security, retirement, and bennies I have now.

This is exactly why I stayed the course over a decade ago when guys were telling me I was crazy for staying in this GS position and making far less than half of what they were earning. Many of those same guys have contacted me in the last couple years about getting a job. Job security, retirement and other benefits, as well as being around to see your family on a somewhat regular basis go a long way.

The US gov't is the only place where the hired help gets paid more than the boss.

Truth be told.

I'll be happy to regale anyone interested of multiple occasions where, after small business overhead and salaries were paid, I drew no paycheck whatsoever early in my chosen civvy career.

I see both ends of it, my best friend was a contractor for 10 years, put enough away and retired to Phuket Thailand and lives pretty high on the hog. Owns a dive shop and takes all the tourist diving, etc. But he has no family or real commitments.

He tried to get me to go to work with him for BW back in 2005, I often regret not doing it for at least a year or two. But I would never work for the US Government, like the CIA/FBI/USMS/DEA, etc. Benefits be dammed, sometimes your soul and sanity need to take priority.

Right, your contract nursing gig would have the exact same responsibilities and requirements as your regular job. In the Case we are discussing the job isn't quite the same, and the people with less responsibility get paid significantly more.

Right, your contract nursing gig would have the exact same responsibilities and requirements as your regular job. In the Case we are discussing the job isn't quite the same, and the people with less responsibility get paid significantly more.

OK, I'm tracking. Agreed.

Minimum requirements
include:

• US citizenship at the time of application (dual national US citizens are eligible)
  • A four-year college/university degree from an accredited institution (applicants within one year of earning a four-year degree will be considered)
  • Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team
  • Flexibility to adapt to changing work and training requirements
  • Excellent verbal and written communication skills
  • Ability to make decisions to meet existing conditions and mission requirements rather than relying on preset assumptions and goals
Competitive Paramilitary Operations Officer applicants have:

• Military special operations or combat arms experience (ground, air or maritime)
  • Served in combat leadership positions
  • Willingness to serve in hazardous and austere environments overseas (previous foreign travel and foreign language is valued, but not required)

There's something wrong. I actually meet all these requirements. :ninja:8-):-o (Nothing here about age...)

Last edited:
I see both ends of it, my best friend was a contractor for 10 years, put enough away and retired to Phuket Thailand and lives pretty high on the hog. Owns a dive shop and takes all the tourist diving, etc. But he has no family or real commitments.

He tried to get me to go to work with him for BW back in 2005, I often regret not doing it for at least a year or two. But I would never work for the US Government, like the CIA/FBI/USMS/DEA, etc. Benefits be dammed, sometimes your soul and sanity need to take priority.

The way your friend did it is the way to go. I know a few guys who lived like rock stars while CONUS and lived to regret it years later.

GS work isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Plus, if all the squared away guys jumped ship because of the BS, well...

The way your friend did it is the way to go. I know a few guys who lived like rock stars while CONUS and lived to regret it years later.

GS work isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Plus, if all the squared away guys jumped ship because of the BS, well...

Don't get me wrong, its nobel work and I admire and respect those who are willing to do it. But there is not enough money in the world to make me subject myself to the insanity of the USG again. I was hell bent on becoming a cop for the longest time, after the BLM, riots and everything that's happened these past two years, there is absolutely no way I'd ever involve myself or my family with that kind of crazy.

Forget the who - look at the where! $100K in DC? Sheeeet.

I agree, I'm surprised the CIA would pay that low. There are LE work with less requirement and doesn't do any "operations" other than the occasional search warrant. Starts at $51k and goes up to $110k automatically in 5 years and afterward the raises are smaller.

All joking aside what do these guys actually do? I read this and all I can think of is Jason Bourne and Sam Fisher.

Back