Pentagon issues warning for non-deployable personnel: 'Deploy or be removed'

AWP

SOF Support
This is a hot topic in our shop this morning. Everyone who was in the service over the last decade is saying this is a huge problem. Thoughts?

Pentagon issues warning for non-deployable personnel: 'Deploy or be removed'

The Pentagon on Wednesday announced a new “deploy or be removed” policy that could affect up to nearly 300,000 service members who have been non-deployable for the past 12 months.

“This new policy is a 12-month deploy or be removed policy,” Robert Wilkie, the undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness, told the Senate Armed Services subcommittee on personnel and readiness on Wednesday.

This will get interesting fast.

Similar to my prior restaurant days when I would have employees brag that they got pregnant "again" to keep their state financial assistance, I could point you to more than one female Marine who got herself knocked up to get herself out of upcoming deployments. It became a joke to us that when we'd go somewhere, we'd leave the "womenfolk" back at the shop until we'd get back....it was always nice to see them get promoted and the best gigs while we were gone though. :rolleyes:

And the dudes who would keep blowing off dental appointments...man-oh-man.

Unfortunately according to the article pregnancy is an exception and I doubt there will be any adjustments made for serial pregnancies.

I thought the job of our military was to fight wars? And since we haven't used the military to fight on American soil since 1864 (exceptions: used against the Bonus Army and Mexicans on the border), is it a reasonable assumption that it will be deployed OUTCONUS?

Non-deployable people are a burden. Excise the dead flesh and drive on.

I have been out for a few years now, but when I was in it was just shocking to see how many people would get out of deployments.

They need to be careful, we have guys and gals on profile who can't get the treatment because the PA tries a slew of meds, then tries OT and Phys Therapy, and finally, grudgingly, sends them to a surgeon who tries injections before grudgingly scheduling surgery.
I've had it take 18 plus months before getting cut.

I'd dump the serial preggers, or make deployments worth promotion points and slowly freeze the preggers out.

Wonder if the transgender crew gets an exemption?

They need to be careful, we have guys and gals on profile who can't get the treatment because the PA tries a slew of meds, then tries OT and Phys Therapy, and finally, grudgingly, sends them to a surgeon who tries injections before grudgingly scheduling surgery.
I've had it take 18 plus months before getting cut.

I'd dump the serial preggers, or make deployments worth promotion points and slowly freeze the preggers out.

Wonder if the transgender crew gets an exemption?

RE: Transgender, great question, I had thought of it as well.

To your first point, agreed. Some people on profile, their medical conditions take multiple steps over a period of time before being deemed salvageable or not. In our practice I have dealt with 1 CTT dude, 1 F-15 driver from SJAFB, and a handful of SOF guys from Bragg.

If you are holding a deployable position and you are unemployable due to a health, civil or criminal issue, you should be moved. Free up the position, free up the promotion potential and keep the machine working.

This will get interesting fast.

Similar to my prior restaurant days when I would have employees brag that they got pregnant "again" to keep their state financial assistance, I could point you to more than one female Marine who got herself knocked up to get herself out of upcoming deployments. It became a joke to us that when we'd go somewhere, we'd leave the "womenfolk" back at the shop until we'd get back....it was always nice to see them get promoted and the best gigs while we were gone though. :rolleyes:

And the dudes who would keep blowing off dental appointments...man-oh-man.

Unfortunately according to the article pregnancy is an exception and I doubt there will be any adjustments made for serial pregnancies.

I knew one girl when I was in the Navy who intentionally got pregnant multiple times to avoid deployment. She then would go get an abortion as soon as we were far enough into the deployment for her to not have to fly out to meet the ship. Happened 3 times that I knew of, but she had been in for something like 8 years when she showed up at our boat, so who knows how many times total she did that.

I knew one girl when I was in the Navy who intentionally got pregnant multiple times to avoid deployment. She then would go get an abortion as soon as we were far enough into the deployment for her to not have to fly out to meet the ship. Happened 3 times that I knew of, but she had been in for something like 8 years when she showed up at our boat, so who knows how many times total she did that.

That is disgusting!

This is an interesting development, but we need to be careful with this one. "Non-deployable" doesn't necessarily mean "not useful." And some people are non-deployable because of combat or other causes directly related to their service. I've heard both GEN McChrystal and ADM McRaven say "don't judge your value to the fight by your proximity to the battlefield" and I agree with this sentiment completely. In my experience, there are plenty of things we can have non-deployable people do back here that could help us/them up there.

My wife got involuntarily recalled to Active Duty to serve on rear-d as a backfill for a key position in a division that went downrange. It would have saved the Army a lot of money, I think, and my family a lot of hassle, if they could have found a non-deployable Soldier to fill the position. But people didn't want to move non-deployables around to different divisions/brigades.

On a related note, it's not like people are beating down recruiters' doors to join up. We're having trouble meeting our recruiting goals, and the military is poised to increase its overall numbers. Further complicating the situation, something like 70% of the military-aged civilian workforce is not even eligible to enlist. It takes a ridiculous amount of money to recruit, train, equip, and field a member of the modern military. We might be throwing away good money, and good people, by simply booting them out in a blanket policy instead of boarding them and repurposing the good ones.

I'm personally more concerned with all of the senior officers and NCOs who could have deployed, but never did. IMO we should focus on them. We should also take a look at all of the ridiculous stuff people are allowed to do while taking up space on the Army's roles, things like "Athletic interns" or coaches at the Service Academies, Congressional Liaisons, World Class Athlete program, scholarships and fellowships, etc.

^from a guy who deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq seven times and is not "non-deployable."

Holy shit.

your post

True, we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water; there are mitigating circumstances for a lot of people. Given that there are people who are non-deployable but still productive members of military society, then perhaps the question the JCS needs to ask is, how do we restructure so that the personnel who are deployable can be deployed while the ones who cannot can fill state-side billets?

Take those that earn good evals off deployment status and get them in another NEC/MOS.
All NPQ get fit quick or gone.
As for med issues get care evaluate individually.
The goldbrickers get GDs and gone.
If managed correctly it could be a good thing. But as historical usual it will be FUBAR within minutes.

"...nearly 100,000 are non-deployable because of administrative reasons like not having all their immunizations or their medical exams..."

This ^^^ is an easy fix: get them to sickbay, take care of business and the 100K are once again deployable.

Some of the other problems are endemic of the times: women serving alongside men in units/ships that used to be men-only; and waivers issued to potential recruits with medical issues or injuries to reach quota, or whatever.

Combat wounded service members with continuing wound-related problems or complications who still want to serve are a different story. BTDT and they deserve some slack.

As far as goldbricks/skaters/shitbirds...well, they're always around, aren't they. Yeah, GD and a 10r boot in the ass.

"...nearly 100,000 are non-deployable because of administrative reasons like not having all their immunizations or their medical exams..."

This ^^^ is an easy fix: get them to sickbay, take care of business and the 100K are once again deployable.

We had medical stand-downs to do this very thing, this is a very easy fix.

Take away some pay from the offenders, kill a commander's career, and watch how many people beg for immunizations.

Back