Physical training for the PAST

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaspir

Unverified
Until recently, I was not an extremely active person, but I have started to get in shape for the PAST. I have some concerns about the amount of time I have been given to prepare for the PAST. At this point, I have been to the recruiter, decided on CCT, taken my ASVAB, and started to get the necessary paperwork for my financial wavier together. That gives me about 2 months until I am able to go to MEPS. My recruiter says I have to take the PAST test no later than one week after going to MEPS. The financial wavier will be good for 30 days, so at maximum I have 3 months to prepare.

I go to school and work two part time jobs, so I try to make the most of my free time as possible. Basically, I wake up at 5 am and go to the YMCA which opens at 5:30. I swim till 6:30 and come home to get ready for work. When I get home, I follow the Stew Smith workout from his book The PFT Bible. Before a couple of months ago, I had never conditioned myself to run, and the same for swimming. So, I am basically a beginning runner and swimmer. I'm not worried about the pushups, sit-ups or pull-ups, but I am worried about doing them after the 25m x 2 underwater and 500m freestyle and then a 1.5 mile run.

I am hitting it hard, but I am having doubts about being able to pass this test. Does anyone think it is possible to get in that good of shape that quickly, or should I tell my recruiter that he should suspend me, and if so, how long do you think I should tell him I need? I can guess that most people will say that it depends, but anything more specific than that would be greatly appreciated.

PAST test requirements for CCT:
2 x 25M underwater swim (pass/fail)
500 M freestyle swim (11:42)
1.5 Mile Run (10:10)
Pull-ups: 8
Push-ups: 48
Sit-ups: 48

- 2 x 25 meter underwater (Pass/Fail, 3 min between each) with 10 min rest
- 500 meter swim (freestyle, breaststroke, sidestroke), max time 11 min 42 sec with 30 min rest
- 1.5 mile run, max time 10 min 10 sec with 10 min rest
- Pull ups in 1 min, 8 x minimum reps with 3 min rest
- Sit ups in 2 min, 48 x minimum reps with 3 min rest
- Push ups in 2 min, 48 x minimum reps with 3 min rest

It depends on the individual and dedication. I managed to take my swim time from 11:00 to about 8:45 in about a month and a half to two months. I used Total Immersion which can be bought on Amazon. But note that even though you can pass the PAST with your recruiter you will still have to post high enough scores for a Special Tactics Recruiter to pass you also. I swam a 8:45, blew the push up, pull ups, sit ups, out of the water, but I only ran a 9:55 at the time and wasn't recommended to go CCT until I could run low 9's. Just because you can barely pass the test, doesn't always mean you qualify. Good luck.

PS don’t go open anything they don’t offer Special Tactics jobs at Basic anymore, also I waited over a year for a job....learned from experience.

- 2 x 25 meter underwater (Pass/Fail, 3 min between each) with 10 min rest
- 500 meter swim (freestyle, breaststroke, sidestroke), max time 11 min 42 sec with 30 min rest
- 1.5 mile run, max time 10 min 10 sec with 10 min rest
- Pull ups in 1 min, 8 x minimum reps with 3 min rest
- Sit ups in 2 min, 48 x minimum reps with 3 min rest
- Push ups in 2 min, 48 x minimum reps with 3 min rest
That's your starting point.
I doubt you will take the PAST and immediately lave for Basic Training. Get yourself to the test standard (form being important) then start improving your fitness.

I used Total Immersion which can be bought on Amazon.
I have a video that Stew Smith and Total Immersion collaborated on. I will definitely check out some more of TI's stuff. Anything specific that you would recommend?

But note that even though you can pass the PAST with your recruiter you will still have to post high enough scores for a Special Tactics Recruiter to pass you also.
Did not know there was a Special Tactics Recruiter. I was planning on just trying to get the minimums completed for the PAST because of my time constraint, and then just keep training like crazy throughout DEP, but it seems like that may not be the best idea.

I swam a 8:45, blew the push up, pull ups, sit ups, out of the water, but I only ran a 9:55 at the time and wasn't recommended to go CCT until I could run low 9's
Did they allow a retest or just tell you to improve your times? My recruiter said someone didn't pass once, and the guy that had to come down to watch the test was pissed. I guess he has to come from Philly which is about 3 hours away.

That's your starting point.
I doubt you will take the PAST and immediately lave for Basic Training. Get yourself to the test standard (form being important) then start improving your fitness.
Thanks for the advice. That was what I was thinking too. Just keep going hard throughout DEP.

I was planning on just trying to get the minimums completed for the PAST because of my time constraint, and then just keep training like crazy throughout DEP, but it seems like that may not be the best idea.

Do what you want, but studies have shown, consistently, that those who meet the minimum standards have a much lower success rate than those who well exceed the minimums.

Do you have anyone helping you train? A coach or something to help you with proper techniques to become more efficient?

Out of curiosity, what's a financial waiver? I was never asked what I made or what I could afford to pay to go to OSUT, they just took money from my paycheck to pay for stuff while I was there. :wall:

Do what you want, but studies have shown, consistently, that those who meet the minimum standards have a much lower success rate than those who well exceed the minimums.
I think you're right. I am going to tell him I need to be suspended until I'm at the level of physical fitness I need to be to succeed.

Do you have anyone helping you train? A coach or something to help you with proper techniques to become more efficient?
No trainer, but my fiance was a diver in high school, so she knows about the swimming strokes and is helping me with that. For the rest, I'm relying on fitness books and just watching videos.

Out of curiosity, what's a financial waiver?
The way it was explained to me, it's the AF "counseling" you on the subject of debt. They ran a credit check to determine if my debt to income ratio was more than 40%. Since it was, I had to make payment arrangements with some of the people I owed money to (about 20% of my debt), and write a letter to the Flight Cheif explaining why I got into debt, how it was wrong, how I plan to get out of debt, and how I plan to stay out of debt.

PS don’t go open anything they don’t offer Special Tactics jobs at Basic anymore, also I waited over a year for a job....learned from experience.
Unfortunately no individual walking into an Air Force Recruiting Office will be considered for the GTEP contract for the Battlefield Airman jobs, specifically PJ, CCT, SOW, and TACP until the individual is MEPS qualified. MEPS qualified means individual identified five career fields other than PJ, CCT, SOW, and TACP they are willing to enlist to do and then processed through MEPS (medical exam, ASVAB, and TAPAS). If successfully through this screening they will be given an official PAST screening to determine further processing eligibility. Current policy prohibits Special Tactics Recruiting Liaisons and Air Force Recruiting personnel from giving any physical fitness training or help until the applicant is MEPS qualified and has completed the official PAST screening.

It must be remembered medical examinations, Physical Ability and Stamina Testing (PAST) and Tailored Adaptive Personality Assessment System (TAPAS) do not independently or compressively determine an individual’s suitability for particular types of military duties or suitability for entry classification into military occupations (AFSC, MOS, NEC, Rate) having specific human performance requirements for individuals to perform beyond the conventional (ordinary, regular, normal, routine, …) physically demanding and psychologically stressing duties. For some AFSC's the course of initial entry (COIE) immediately after BMT for non prior service tends to also be a screening-in selection in that required development and preparatory training must be successfully completed to pass into subsequent required formal courses. The COIEs are where the majority of voluntary self initiated elimination (SIE) attrition happens. SIE means the individual self screened themselves out of training.

The Flyer Class (I, II, and III) medical examinations are general flying duties targeting current health to perform flying duties and to a lesser degree conventional parachuting duties. Conventional is used to emphasize focus is on human performance necessary to performing ordinary jumps in the controlled training environment. Furthermore military medical examinations are generally normed to the average healthy population rather than being concerned with specific human performance necessary to perform beyond the conventional (ordinary, regular, normal, routine, …) physically demanding and psychologically stressing duties.

Only a few AFSCs (career military occupations) have specific Occupational & Environmental Health concerns that drive significant concern connected to maintaining target performance levels throughout a career of performing duties while minimizing adverse health effects. The result is a bit more robust and extensive occupational entry medical examination screening is required which brings with it significantly less “there is a medical waiver for almost anything “possibilities.

Initial and reoccurring medical examinations for some military occupations/duties are directly connected to have desired effect of increasing successful accomplishment of the AF mission with minimal risk to personnel. Particularly when and where specific human performance capabilities, limitations, and requirements and associated full spectrum threats are critical to the utilization and tasking decision-making and risk management processes.

Requiring medical certification to perform duties is a major contributor to performance sustainment because adequate physical and mental fitness is a necessary precursor for sufficient performance. For certain AFSCs the required reoccurring medical examinations is but one element of the “total life-cycle support and maintenance” (career development and career progression) having purpose to ensure adequate human performance is being sustained in readiness to confront in the face of enemy conflict, environmental threats and stressors, or advancing age.

The duty disqualification and limiting conditions to include occupation-specific physical fitness guidance indicated in AFI 36-2905 and other functional fitness standards are a collaboration between flight medicine, Aerospace and Operational Physiology Team, Aerospace and Operational Psychologist, functional experts, and line leadership to ensure requirement standards of operational (mission) human performance are scientifically sound and relevant to the mission.

I was never asked what I made or what I could afford to pay to go to OSUT, they just took money from my paycheck to pay for stuff while I was there. :wall:
The financial waiver is most likely always connected to current debts (credit card, loans and/or if care for spouse and children dependency is of concern) while going through BMT. Generally financial waivers have no connection to paying for training such as One Station Unit Training/one site unit raining, BMT, tech school, etc.

Just because you can barely pass the test, doesn't always mean you qualify. Good luck.
Just because the PAST is maxed out (exceeding the maximum possible points) doesn't assure qualifying by passing all the training either. Strong like bull, smart like tractor is not the requirement. Also being an efficient swimmer (great lap times and swim method techniques) does not equate to being an effective combat surface swimmer or an effective combat diver. Being a great sprinter or cross country or marathon runner also does not correlate directly to being a great infantry combatant either. The pre-screening ASVAB, PAST, TAPAS and medical examinations only determine training potential to be successfully trained and qualified to perform required duties in the operational/mission environment.

The financial waiver is most likely always connected to current debts (credit card, loans and/or if care for spouse and children dependency is of concern) while going through BMT. Generally financial waivers have no connection to paying for training such as One Station Unit Training/one site unit raining, BMT, tech school, etc.
Mine was 3 small accounts that I was delinquent on. I had a car repossessed at the same time and I still owe the differenceon on that, but wasn't required to set up payment plans for that. considering that led me to believe it was percentage based.

It's a bit more complicated than percentage based. Debt collection compromises many aspects of the service member's combat readiness, personal reliability, security clearances. If the debt burden is sufficient there is also potential of civil court appearances and court ordered garnishment of military pay and allowances. If it is of this serious potential the waiver decision gets into the potential possibility less than honorable discharge of the service member if the person is enlisted with this debt burden. It is the potential of snowballing roll downhill into an avalanche or uncontrolled spiral decent into a crash and burn that is the concern. Credit history pre-hire background checks are becoming more common by many civilian employees for the same reasons. Most thefts from the company and fraud committed against a company are done by employees.

I find that when it comes to training, it really pushing yourself. You've got to be determined. My way of thinking is: this is what I believe and I am willing to die for it. Period

I find that when it comes to training, it really pushing yourself. You've got to be determined. My way of thinking is: this is what I believe and I am willing to die for it. Period

As per the site rules you need to post an introduction in the proper forum before posting again. Thank you in advance.

Intro is good and out of the way, avatar is changed, so thank you.

Willingness to die for some sort of ideology isn't a prereq for inclusion in a special operations job. Never has been, at least not to my knowledge. I appreciate the motivation and all, but you can slow down with the 'period' and advice.

Try https://shadowspear.com/vb/forums/special-operations-selection-preparation.51/ , the SOF Mentor forums and sub forums and other resources. Good place to start.

I have seen what happens to those who disrespect their superior so I will try to tread carefully. I am not willing to die to be in the special forces. My philosophy is that I just have a sense of dedication to what it is that I am doing. Nothing more. I'm not trying to be the type of person who is in over their head or overly serious. Just dedicated.

I have seen what happens to those who disrespect their superior so I will try to tread carefully. I am not willing to die to be in the special forces. My philosophy is that I just have a sense of dedication to what it is that I am doing. Nothing more. I'm not trying to be the type of person who is in over their head or overly serious. Just dedicated.
Well put.

Does anyone know about officer options and requirements for CCT?
Lots of answers to this type of questions are google-able, and can be fount at sites like specialtactics.com and the like. I would start there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back